It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steorn Announces Public Demonstration of Orbo Technology

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
It isn't possible to take more energy out of a system than you put in. It is a simple observation that is totally logical and true. Sorry guys, but the best chance for new energy technology is being able to convert a unit of matter to its equal counterpart unit of energy. 100% conversion to energy so that the mass/energy conservation law is satisfied.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

I applaud your open-mindedness and willingness to consider that perhaps mankind (at least the ones who went to school a while ago), don't really understand everything after all.

I would suggest for all of us that we not be fooled into thinking that we understand the underlying physics well, for physics is changing all the time as new things are discovered.

"The good thing about going to school is that it teaches you what can and can't be done...the bad thing about school is that it teaches you what can and can't be done."

Here is a good article on Zero-Point Energy that might be worth reading:

Article on Zero-Point Energy

Hope you find it helpful

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by broli

I'll believe this when I see it work and the results can be replicated. Until then its BS

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by mrsoul2009

Clearly part of the peanut-gallery gawking crowd... once it works, make sure you don't go around saying "Oh, I knew it all the time that this would work!" Make sure you let people know how out of touch you were to what is possible.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Unfortunately, ATS seems to be dividing into two camps lately. On the one hand, we have the debunkers, who patently refuse to even entertain the idea of anything being real without a mountain of evidence being delivered to them on a silver platter.

A mountain of evidence, how about a shred of evidence instead?

Something that a 20$ electrical meter can accomplish.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

See Bob, you are correct in your statement, but you are wrong in your assumption. Nobody is taking anything out of nothing, they are taking it from some place that you are obviously unaware of - the very "non-empty" and energy-filled space that is all around us... why not educate yourself about this, since you probably didn't learn much about it, then come back and discuss this from a new, more open-minded perspective. I doubt that you are an "old dog" who can't learn new tricks... right?

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   

That's exactly what CONDEMNATION BEFORE INVESTIGATION means... read my signature if you want to know who that phrase is from. You would sound a lot more rational and intelligent if you said "until I see the proof, I will reserve judgment." There is no intelligence displayed, whatsoever, when people say something is BS until it is proven true. That presupposes false until proven true, guilty until proven innocent, and that is the very opposite of the scientific method. You are acting like a religious zealot, not a level-headed intelligent thinker. Really... it does you no harm and will win you more respect from people who really are scientifically minded and who have a solid grasp on what it means to actually find truth through a rigorous scientific approach.

Even science is fraught with people who start off with a prejudiced idea, either for or against, and this is always fueled by some other agenda other than finding truth.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
As has been mentioned by several people in this thread, I seriously doubt there will ever be a device that creates energy were energy did not previously exist

... however...

It may be entirely possible to tap into energy that already exists and by some 'simple' and inexpensive process release vast amounts of energy. I'm not talking about exploding a nuke either ... lol ... I mean tapping into a source of energy and controlling, thereby using, that energy to power... err... whatever need powering.

One possibilty might be by applying the principle of harmonics, much as you do within sound, and have a small discharge of energy (perhaps released as a continuous oscillating wave at an appropiate 'frequency) stimulate your source of potential energy.

Think electric guitar feedback, how it's caused, and what happens when a magnetic pickup receives a small signal which is then amplified and picked up by the same pickup again. Eventually the process results in a continuous self-sustaining loop of sound. Yes, the amplifier is being powered by electricity, but the guitar is essentially playing itself.

Imagine then a source of potential energy... perhaps the basic soup of energy that we call the Universe, within which all matter and energy exists. That is one gigantic source of potential energy, it ALREADY EXISTS so you're not creating anything out of thin air, and perhaps by creating the right sort of 'harmonic' stimulation this energy soup (I believe some refer to it as the energy of the vacuum) could be be tapped into and used.

Just pure speculation.... I know, but who knows eh?

In reference to the OP, I believe that no one is claiming they are creating energy out of nothing. Unless I'm mistaken they are talking about tapping into a source of potential energy (magnetism) by applying a small (cheap) stimulus to get the process going. It may be possible, they might fail... but wouldn't it be wonderful if they are o to something here eh?

I think I'll stay on the fence with this one, for now

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by downisreallyup

Huh?

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by DataWraith
Whilst a good idea it HAS been done before, there are lots and lots of sites all claiming to have 'free energy' devices of varying sorts and types.
'Steorn' do not have any videos or photos displaying their generators and therefore do not gauge my attention.
If there were truly onto something thats productive to Human life and to the environment I feel they would go out of their way to provide proof, and even to provide videos of their devices working.
But all I see from their website is printed words that even I can do.
I own the world but I won't show any signs of papers proving my ownership.
See?
No proof , no truth.

You must have not been to their website, they have streaming videos (link)of their tech and have opened their doors for public viewing of the technology.

tamale

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I think the company is trying to market their stuff on here because they think we don't know anything about science.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by downisreallyup

Ok - then I will rephrase my statement: Until proven otherwise this is just another claim in a very long line of "free energy" machines. (see: cold fusion) In layman's terms, until its proven otherwise its BS..

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by downisreallyup

That's exactly what CONDEMNATION BEFORE INVESTIGATION means... read my signature if you want to know who that phrase is from. You would sound a lot more rational and intelligent if you said "until I see the proof, I will reserve judgment." There is no intelligence displayed, whatsoever, when people say something is BS until it is proven true.

Except in this case it has been proven to be BS - or did you forget this bit
In August 2006 the Irish company Steorn published an advertisement in the Economist announcing the development of “a technology that produces free, clean and constant energy”. Qualified experts were sought to form a “jury” to validate these claims.

Twenty-two independent scientists and engineers were selected by Steorn to form this jury. It has for the past two years examined evidence presented by the company. The unanimous verdict of the Jury is that Steorn's attempts to demonstrate the claim have not shown the production of energy. The jury is therefore ceasing work.

The jury consists of scientists and engineers in relevant fields from Europe and North America, from industry, universities and government laboratories. Information about individual members can be found at stjury.ning.com...

R.I.MacDonald
Chairman, Steorn Jury [i/]

So it has been shown not to do what it claims!

[edit on 15/12/09 by dereks]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   

You said the following:

I'll believe this when I see it work and the results can be replicated. Until then its BS

That is what I made my comment towards... you calling this BS when you really have no proof that it is BS. If you want to prove that it's BS, that is a different story... to which you should provide evidence as to why magnetism 100% cannot be used to harness energy in the ZPE field. Until you can prove that, you can't call it anything except "something you can't make a decision about."

This site is filled with people who obviously don't know about the scientific method, and are instead religious zealots for their pessimistic prejudiced presuppositions.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by dereks

All that proves is the following:

1) The company did not show a production of energy.

2) This can be for any number of reasons, which we do not know, because the scientists did not provide a detailed report/analysis, or at least that report has not been made public.

You can say that this PROVES the technology doesn't work, but if that were the case, this company would not be continuing to make their product gain acceptance. There are laws against fraudulent raising of funds, and I'm sure they don't want to all go to jail, so in this case, the prudent thing to do is give them another chance to show their stuff. A botched demo can happen to anyone, and in fact it often does... that's where the phrase "demo hell" and "murphy's law" comes from. I would agree that another botched demo may indicate some kind of fraud, but even then, it would have to be proven in a court of law because you can't 100% eliminate the possibility of sabotage, given the profound impact a device like this would have on the world. It would truly be a DISRUPTIVE technology, and that alone should raise our suspicions that attempts will be made to prevent it's introduction.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

It isn't possible to take more energy out of a system than you put in. It is a simple observation that is totally logical and true. Sorry guys, but the best chance for new energy technology is being able to convert a unit of matter to its equal counterpart unit of energy. 100% conversion to energy so that the mass/energy conservation law is satisfied.

and that my friend is compleat and utter bull#

why?

ever work out human motabolism? i mean wtf are people on CRACK?

look? the human body can go on water and BREAD ffs and still OUTPUT more energy than in IN TAKES

get a grip

ZPE this is not its about getting more bang for ya buck in terms of atoms wizzing about..

you give em a push the wizz about they give you more by wizzing about..

IT HAPPENS EVERDAY WHEN YOU EAT FOOD how stupid are some people???

Good look to em .. and for all you NAY SAYERS

get bloody educated

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by dereks

Funny they said wireless leccy was not possible even tho tesla came up with it and apple bought the pattent..

you are cluessless really.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by 13579

look? the human body can go on water and BREAD ffs and still OUTPUT more energy than in IN TAKES

Only because it is using up body reserves, like fat etc. and when they run out, if you still output more energy than you take in, you die. Or are you claiming no one can starve to death?

how stupid are some people???

from reading your post, very stupid actually

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   

See, don't you feel more balanced and logical, ruled less by emotional passion, and more by using your brain?

With regards to the long list of claims, this has always been the case for many great inventions. The one that is most famous is the airplane. There were so many who tried to make it work, every one of them believing fully that it was possible. There were many who scoffed at all attempts to fly, citing all the failures, and pompously trumpeting their bombastic castigations. Despite all this, as is so often the case, sheer human fortitude and determination led to a breakthrough and eventual success.

Also, with the light bulb, had Edison not been given the money and time to keep trying, we would have seen a completely different history... perhaps the light bulb never would have been invented. Remember, he had thousands of failures. What if, instead of one man making thousands of failures, we had thousands of people each making a couple of failures? How would that have looked? How many scoffers would have arisen to deride those who dared try a new approach?

I'm just suggesting that we humans learn from the foibles of the past, and act with more tempered prudence when it comes to evaluating scientific claims. At some point, this company, along with the others out there who are making some attempt to introduce products, will be PROVEN one way or the other to be successful or not. If they have done fraud, that must be proven in court, since it may not be fraud if they fail, but rather sabotage or just plain failure of a gamble.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Well I must say that Steorn looks like they are putting their money where their mouth is in Feb of 2010.
Seems to me they are open sourcing the technology to enthusiasts and developers.

Now "if" the tech isn't complete and utter bs. There will be alot of opportunity for develpment and advancement by enthusiasts.

I now officially hold my opinion till Feb of 10. We'll see in 2 months what the story really is.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join