It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steorn Announces Public Demonstration of Orbo Technology

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Doglord

Sorry, but for every example you give of accidental discovery, I can cite at least, perhaps more examples of men who did dream and were looking for something particular. The fact is, John Goodyear WAS indeed looking for a way to keep rubber from melting, and he accidentally dropped a piece of rubber into the fire and discovered vulcanization.

Perhaps simple lab workers don't dream, but the great scientists/inventors, the ones who did dream and search for answers to their dreams, they are the ones who moved science forward in huge ways. Do you think that most scientists have no passions for a PARTICULAR science? Do you REALLY believe that a man who discovers a new star was not intentionally looking up towards the heavens, dreaming of finding something new? Sure, maybe he was looking for a planet and found a star, but the point is, he didn't discover a new virus because he was following his dream of being an astronomer, not a biologist. And, do you think that the inventors of electronic devices were not dreaming of discovering SOME kind of electronic device? They were not dreaming of discovering a new biological species, that's for sure. Accidentally discovering something by accident does not invalidate the original intent, and I argue that the original intent is fueled by something deeper than observation... it is fueled by a DESIRE TO SEE!

What you are failing to take into account is the component of science that is known as "inspiration", something that many of the greatest scientists talk about. Einstein dreamed of figuring out how the universe works, Edward Jenner dreamed of finding a cure to Small Pox, and I'm many early geneticists dreamed of being the one who deciphered the human genome.

Try as you may, you will NEVER succeed in neutering science, robbing it of it's soul and relegating it to the mechanical exercises of mere technical automatons. Sure, there are lab technicians, but they do not, in any stretch of the imagination, represent the kind of heart that drives the soul of science.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by davesidious

Like so many threads, this one is going round-and-round because people don't seem to want to read the entire thread. You're right dave. We need some form of measurement. Just seeing it spin means nothing. It could be just a form of 'wall clock' but that determination cannot be made in thye absence of the aforesaid measurements.

What needs to be done is:

1. measure the drain of the battery that energizes the coil.

2. measure the power generated by the 'recharge' circuit.

Given that it is spinning, if #2 >= #1 then the device is technically 'over unity'.

Next we need to measure how much force (torque) is represented in the spinning.

And in the interest of completeness, measure how much heat is being generated.

If the device actually is self-sustaining AND it is capable of creating (from a practical perspective) usable energy, then it needs to be determined whther it can produice more useful energy before its components need to be serviced than was required to create those components.

Until then no one can say it works or that it is a wall clock.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Pryde87

It's NOT creating more energy! My goodness, will people please READ the thread before posting their own ideas? This is a conversation going on here, and if you enter a conversation that has been going on already, you'd do well to first see what has already been said. They are NOT creating any energy, but only tapping into the vast energy field that surrounds us all... known as Zero-Point Energy.

Remember, we don't need "me too" responses. This is not an election where you cast your vote. Many people have already come in here and said what any uninformed person, or person with paradigm lock, or person with an agenda would say. What helps the conversation move along is bringing something new to the table, something that has not already been said.

Why not tell us why the ZPE field can't be tapped, or how it is you know that spinning a magnet in a certain way in a certain configuration will not produce some yet-identified effect?

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
So far I'm the only one willing to put my money where my mouth is...

any of you faithers wanna step up and prove you actually believe this nonsense?

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

Yes jtma508, you are 100% correct. Notice how on the front page of their website they provide a link to the SteormLab measurement tools/suite. It seems that they are putting together a package that allows people to work with the technology, measure it, build with it, and help to advance it.

It seems on the surface like they are trying to provide a legit produce, providing what is needed in order to understand what they have done. While people may not agree with how they have handled things thus far, at least they are continuing to hang in there, trying to get something out to the market so that people can test it and verify it.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by seethelight

Cool man! So, what have you done to put your money where you mouth is? Have you purchased their low-end license, or are you going there to see the product firsthand?

[edit on 16-12-2009 by downisreallyup]

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Magzoid

When you add links to youtube videos, you must only put the ID number of the video, not the entire URL.

MODS: It would be nice if you could make the website smart enough to parse the URL and extract the number. This can be handled with a single regular expression in your PHP code, and it would really help a lot of people. This is the 3rd time I've had to correct someone who did it wrong.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Well, I've watched it some on the webcam and it seems to be up and running smoothly.... so we will see! I really hope these guys can make a success of it! Would love to see the old guard energy barons shaking in their boots

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by downisreallyup

Cool man! So, what have you done to put your money where you mouth is? Have you purchased their low-end license, or are you going there to see the product firsthand?

read the thread

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   

You can't be serious. Without the basic measurements that I have outlined at least twice on this thread no one, including you, can say whether or not this works.

Probability (based on the history of ZPE devices) says it is not a ZPE device. That's why you are able to make your courageous bet. There were LOTS of people like you betting against man being able to fly. It was a KNOWN fact that he could not. I imagine lots of courageous people, just like you, bet against it and won. Until we did fly.

Maybe ZPE will never work. Maybe there is no way of ever harnessing the energy around us. But I hope people never give up trying.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Water can flow uphill too if you set up the right contraption. Gravity is not why hydroelectric dams work though. It is the force and volume of water that causes the turbines to spin, it has nothing to do with gravity. Gravity is just an effect of the earth an acting force that makes it feasible to create hydro electric dams.

Okay look, you can't get more energy out of what you put in. It just isn't possible. People keep waiting for this magical device that is going to turn science on it's . and it isn't going to happen. It goes against everything that we do know about physics and energy. True we don't know everything, but what you are suggesting is something that will render all our computers and electronics and everything else useless because they would no longer work.

It would be great if over-unity motors existed and if it was possible, but it is a pipe dream. Same thing with humans flying on their own accord without assistance of any kind. You can dream about it happening all day, but it isn't ever going to happen. Same thing with Over-unity motors.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508

You can't be serious. Without the basic measurements that I have outlined at least twice on this thread no one, including you, can say whether or not this works.

Probability (based on the history of ZPE devices) says it is not a ZPE device. That's why you are able to make your courageous bet. There were LOTS of people like you betting against man being able to fly. It was a KNOWN fact that he could not. I imagine lots of courageous people, just like you, bet against it and won. Until we did fly.

Maybe ZPE will never work. Maybe there is no way of ever harnessing the energy around us. But I hope people never give up trying.

Not sure why it upsets you that my standard for success is "provability".

If I just believed everything I WANTED to believe I'd be like too many people in the world, a faith-er.

No thanks.

[edit on 16-12-2009 by seethelight]

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Semper Gravitas

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife
Water can flow uphill too if you set up the right contraption. Gravity is not why hydroelectric dams work though. It is the force and volume of water that causes the turbines to spin, it has nothing to do with gravity. Gravity is just an effect of the earth an acting force that makes it feasible to create hydro electric dams.

This description is at odds with physics and how hydroelectric power plants actually work.

In a zero gravity environment, surface tension causes water to coalesce into globules that float around and are quite unsuitable for hydroelectric power.

As for getting water to flow uphill, a siphon can appear to do that, but even then, the outlet of the tube toward which the water flows must be lower than the inlet or there will be no flow, so the water really isn't flowing uphill in the end, and could not, unless energy was added to it in some form.

The force you're referring to that "causes the turbines to spin" is a product of the effect of gravity on the water flowing through them. Without it, the turbines would not spin at all and would produce (or, more accurately, "convert") no energy.

Without gravity, hydroelectric dams cannot produce power.

Just sayin'

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Like I said, the SOURCE of energy for hydro power is the SUN. The sun is the SOURCE of the power because without the sun, there would be no evaporation, and without that, the rivers would run dry, and no more hydro-pressure. So, the main source of the energy (heat) is the sun. Everything else is just a storage and conversion of that energy into other forms.

But the main point in all this is that WE ARE NOT TALKING about getting energy from no where. We are talking about getting the energy from the vast amount that resides in the air around you, and indeed all of space.

How many times must this be said?

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I would be a heck of a lot more impressed and willing to believe this thing if it did not have a battery in it. Why can't they design it with a capacitor instead?

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unknown Origin
I would be a heck of a lot more impressed and willing to believe this thing if it did not have a battery in it. Why can't they design it with a capacitor instead?

It would have to work for that to happen.

Why not put meters on it?

This is just a big publicity stunt so they can steal peoples money...

[edit on 16-12-2009 by seethelight]

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Passive Solar

Like I said, the SOURCE of energy for hydro power is the SUN. The sun is the SOURCE of the power because without the sun, there would be no evaporation, and without that, the rivers would run dry, and no more hydro-pressure. So, the main source of the energy (heat) is the sun. Everything else is just a storage and conversion of that energy into other forms.

Granted. But my point is that without gravity, hydroelectric power plants won't work. These observations are not in conflict, so there's no need to imply one.

Energy Crisis

But the main point in all this is that WE ARE NOT TALKING about getting energy from no where. We are talking about getting the energy from the vast amount that resides in the air around you, and indeed all of space.

The evidence that this is actually happening in the case of the Steorn Orbo is inconclusive.

While there are various claims and testimonials on the website (which has some very nice videos, btw), and I applaud their own candor in referencing many skeptical comments in their videos, there still isn't any demonstrable proof that the Orbo is, in fact, an over-unity device at this point.

If you have proof, please present it. So far, Steorn has not.

Understanding this can go a long way toward reducing energy losses in this thread due to wasteful and unnecessary friction.

[edit on 12/16/2009 by Majic]

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Until they remove that battery no serious scientist is going to take them seriously.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   

It's not about wanting to believe. You bet with no proof either way. You are betting the very attractive odds. I'm making the incontrovertible statement that no one can say --- without proof --- that it is or is not a ZPE device.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
This thread has turned into a "will it work?"

Lets remember one thing, NEO magnets are far more powerfull than the old ceramic ones. i.e. If you have 2 x 3" x 1" rod neo magnets with the same poles pointing towards each other (repelling each other), IF you can get these magnets with in five mm (1/4") there is over 500 pounds of force repelling the 2 magnets. I have done a simple test to prove this theory myself with smaller magnets. Now add a 12v current to one of the magnets at the peek (when the magnets are closest) you will find you can get another 50% force applyed to the force pushing the away.

All I can say is go on ebay buy some neo magnets and start doing your own experiments. Its easy when you understand whats going on.

I do not believe that the device in question will generate enough electricity to do anything only power itself. So really they have made a nice pretty electric motor (with a depth micrometer sticking out the top).

To me this is just another way to try tell people that free energy does not excist. when it does!!!!!!!!

This is a simple v gate magnetic motor I designed. It has 2 gates (one on each rotor) and 6 stators (3 on each side). At the gate of the rotor is a MUMETAL sheild which stops the effect of magnetic breaking of the rotor. There are guys on youtube who have made these devices. just look under magnetic engine.

Gareth

[edit on 16-12-2009 by gareth01422]

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join