It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DIY Astronomer Captures Solar Eruptions From His Backyard

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lee_K
Ok so if this guy makes this out of plywood and cardboard for next to nothing... Someone could make this out of plastic or metal for the same price plus the cost of the metal or plastic...

Sooooo!... How come it cost NASA millions to take the same kinda photo's!?

Because Nasa lie to you, me and the entire world.

[edit on 16-12-2009 by Isis_Is_I]

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I know someone already mentioned this, but we need to find out who this guy is (ie contact information) so we can ask him to image the moon in detail as well! I did a whois.com search, but since it's a verizon account, it doesn't show the owner.

Can anyone figure out who is running that page?

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
s&f from me.

Simply breathtaking shots.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I am mesmerized and speechless. Thank you. S&F!

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Wow! Awesome pics. Maybe this guy can stay vigilant and watch for stuff like Nibiru (Planet X) or other phenomenon like what could have caused that spiral thingy over Norway. Supposedly the sun through out a hunk of something that created a little black hole that a comet got sucked into - kind of like a ball of hair swirling around your emptying drain in the shower. Pretty cool stuff! Wonder what Dr. Michio Kaku thinks about it. ????????????

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   
did anybody notice the video of the sun not looking like the high quality soho videos of the sun?

the soho videos look time lapsed. where as the amateur video looks like its in his backyard literally...the live quality of the sun is just bizarre its literally "liquid hot MAGMA" lol

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   
The sheer ignorance in here is amazing. These pictures are not very hard to make yourself. Get yourself a 8" reflector or refractor telescope and a good sun ocular which works in strong UV-light.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Excellent photographs, I have only scanned the interconnecting links. What people, not scientists, can do simply amazes me sometimes.

Of course someone getting paid billions or millions of dollars should be able to get photographs like these, but when someone without those types funds do something like this, you just have to say-WOW.

Beautiful photos indeed. I just might try to do some of this too.

Amateur astronomers have been getting great results for a century. You can get better sky photos with your camera phone than most professional astronomers could get 100 years ago.

FYI, the millions of dollars spent on solar research doesn't go into better photographs. There is a lot of other stuff to study.

The McMath-Pierce Solar Telescope at Kitt Peak in Southern Arizona is approaching its 50th birthday. It is a beautiful machine and well worth a visit.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

Very nice! Great quality too! I just ordered some solar filters and various other things for my 3k$ celestron, the other day. Cant wait for them to come in!

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by RygelUK
Flagged and starred!

There's some fantastic images there, and I think I've found a new project or two for those dark winter nights.

This is what backyard astronomy is all about - normal people doing great things witht he tools they have available to them.

How soon before this guy gets payrolled by an agency....

Erm, sorry to point out the obvious here, but how are you gonna photograph the sun at night?

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   
its ashame sunspot activity is still at its minimum though, this site offers a huge collection of information on this subject in regards to global cooling due to low sunspot activity

Mod Edit: Please see Terms And Conditions Of Use 4) Advertising. Thank you - Jak

edit on 19/9/10 by JAK because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join