It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Merry Christmas Coronary" and "Happy New Year Heart Attack" Phenomenon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
www.circ.ahajournals.org...

I just heard this on the evening news and decided to do a little research.

In 1999, my research group published a study that examined whether there are seasonable variations in cardiac mortality in a location where winter weather is mild—Los Angeles County, Calif.1 During a 12-year period, there were consistently more deaths from ischemic heart disease during the winter than there were during the summer. About one third more deaths from ischemic heart disease were recorded in December and January than from June through September in Los Angeles County. We initially thought that this phenomenon might be explained by colder temperatures. Colder temperatures have been associated with an increase in vascular resistance, coronary vasospasm, blood pressure, and hemostasis, as reviewed by Spencer et al.2 Temperatures in Los Angeles during the winter, although colder than they are during the summer, are still mild as compared with other climates. When we plotted daily rates of death from ischemic heart disease in Los Angeles County during November, December, and January, we were struck by an increase in deaths starting around Thanksgiving, climbing through Christmas, peaking on New Year’s Day, and then falling, whereas daily minimum temperatures remained relatively flat during December and January. We postulated that this peak in cardiac deaths during the holidays might result from other factors, including the emotional stress of the holidays, overindulgence during the holiday season, or both.1

I had no idea that HAs were so prevalent during the holidays even though I once watched an ex father in Law keel over the day after xmas from "overindulgence"
Ruined xmas that year for the kiddies to say the least.

Easy does it folks and don't drink and drive.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
That is excellent advice sir!

Sadly I will not be following it...

I have a major infatuation with the Holiday season... I will be out at some point, with a half a Ham blocking my intestines, pre drinking a pitcher of Rum + Egg Nog, At a Bar Dancing up a storm Killing a couple packs of Cigarettes when most of the time I don't even smoke... drinking Much More leading me into a state where I will consume anything anyone hands me

siiiiiiigh, I have little impulse control

Health Nut most of the year, literal obsessive...

But not that week lol

KIDS... I am not a role Model, Listen to the OP!!!!

I seriously can understand why this happens, this thread is dead on...

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

S & F

I think there are many contributing factors. Weather being among them. The Holidays are stressful for many. Some are stressed from being away from family and loved ones, still others over financial issues.

The Yams, mashed tators and gravy that always gets me going then I pile on the ham and turkey or a giant Rib-eye...

What a way to go.

P.S.
Don't forget the scotch.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Yeah...

I smoke when I go out most of the time, mostly because it's too loud inside to really meet anyone so i have to go outside and use smoking as an excuse to talk to women...

Temp difference by me inside... 96 F Outside -5 F

i'll do that Friday Night, about 4x an hr while working up a sweat dancing.

Yup, it can Kill you

Let alone the point in the night where i'm running down the street being chased by the cops naked aside from a Santa Hat and a pair of boots...

Hopefully they use the Tazer on me not the Dogs this year...

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Cold temperatures lead to lower metabolism, which I guess leads to more "stagnation or coagulation of the blood sugar."

Don't think you have to worry, unless you're in your 50s, or even 60s though. Even then, just make sure you take a walk and dump it. The problem occurs only when you eat a lot and don't exercise.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

One more little item that needs to be revealed.

www.mayoclinic.com...

I don't find the holidays a particularly joyous time of the year and I
usually go into an emotional funk. Thank the Good Lord that this year
I'll be to busy working to sit on the pitty pot.

More sound info and advise pertaining to the Season below....

moneyning.com...

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Nice find......It's simple, really.

The majority of Heart Attacks occur proceeding a carbohydrate rich meal, and it just so happens that the holidays are full of carbohydrate rich meals (which also explains why the average person gains between 5-15 pounds during the holidays.).

Why, though? Insulin! Carbohydrates spike insulin levels and insulin in high amounts is stressful for the body and is a shock to the system. Glucose provides a blood sugar spike and fructose provides a triglyceride spike. Hormones produced to deal with the onslaught of carbs will increase heart rate and blood pressure. So....it's really a recipe for disaster.

.....and then there's the whole inflammation that is involved with carbohydrate intake.

-Dev

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

Good info DE.

And on top of all those carbs, add about 5 shots of Jack, and no wonder old Uncle Bob falls on top of the Christmas tree and turns blue while the kids listen for the 911 sirens to arrive instead of sleigh bells. What great stories to tell around the tree for future Christmases.

new topics

top topics

join