It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More earth-like planets found!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   

An international team of planet hunters has discovered as many as six low-mass planets around two nearby Sun-like stars, including two "super-Earths" with masses 5 and 7.5 times the mass of Earth. The researchers, led by Steven Vogt of the University of California, Santa Cruz, and Paul Butler of the Carnegie Institution of Washington, said the two "super-Earths" are the first ones found around Sun-like stars.

I always find stuff like this absolutely fascinating. With each new discovery, it just says to me, "the discovery of intelligent life is closer!"

SOURCE: www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
it is hard to imagen that if those planets were like earth any intelligent life would be there.

I mean we still didnt find it on our own earth so why on another?

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Dumbass

Ooooooooooh snap!

indeed, its not on our planet, but they could be more advanced. because obviously christianity would not have existed, so the dark ages of scientific repression would never have occurred. thus life would be thousands of years more advanced.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:08 AM
link   
First of all hi all! Been lurking for a while and finally decided to register blah blah... boring.

Anyway, when i hear news like this i always find it extremely awesome how much lively and interesting the universe is than most people think, and i start thinking about dudes living on a distant and hopefully not so crazy and ignorant world minding their own business.

Super-Earth sounds kinda cool too. =P

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Slih_09

Great news!

But you can bet they are not minding their own business, just like we are not minding ours. They will be nosing around space as well and maybe someday we will meet - and they will eat us! Just kidding.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Awesome, new discoveries leads us to new knowledge!

But remember: Other intelligent life doesn't necessary need O2 and Water to survive, perhaps they have evolved in such a way that they are able to breathe in hydrogen/helium?
We just don't know. Perhaps they've found a way to live on a planet colder than we could imagine?

Some Scientist claim that there are multiple needs that must be fulfilled if a planet should have intelligent life.

I shall mention something that I think is important for source of life on other Planets

The Planet must be closer to the sun than at least 2 large gas giants.
Why?: Because the gas giants prevents large objects from hitting the planet. The gas giants got much greater gravity and will pull the large objects to their atmosphere and it will disappear inside the giant.

Apart from this, It will be alright.
But these are just my thoughts.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by LocoHombre

Hahahaha exactly... we probably will be very scared when we find intelligent life.... I mean if we are smart enough to recognize it. I doubt that, I allready hear someone calling: that is not possible by the laws of the universe it has to be a fraud.

But OT

I would love to be in the era to actually explore such a "sister"earth

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0rigin
Awesome, new discoveries leads us to new knowledge!

But remember: Other intelligent life doesn't necessary need O2 and Water to survive, perhaps they have evolved in such a way that they are able to breathe in hydrogen/helium?
We just don't know. Perhaps they've found a way to live on a planet colder than we could imagine?

Some Scientist claim that there are multiple needs that must be fulfilled if a planet should have intelligent life.

I shall mention something that I think is important for source of life on other Planets

The Planet must be closer to the sun than at least 2 large gas giants.
Why?: Because the gas giants prevents large objects from hitting the planet. The gas giants got much greater gravity and will pull the large objects to their atmosphere and it will disappear inside the giant.

Apart from this, It will be alright.
But these are just my thoughts.

This is obvious. But the reason we look primarily only at earth-like planets is because we know that our circumstances create life. It would be like saying, "go find this type of bug in the amazon rainforest so that we can study it better because we don't really know much about it." You're going to go into the forest looking around where you know it might inhabit. But you still understand that you may find it anywhere in the woods, because it's already been mentioned that it's a not very well understood creature.

Although, I agree to your gas giant idea, to an extent. There may not have to be 2 gas giants to clear away debris. We have 4 terrestrial planets with a total of 3 moons. What if one star has only 1 or 2 terrestrial planets, with 1 or no total moons? That implies that there was a lot less debris flying around at the birth of the solar system, and an asteroid belt, if even present, may be much smaller than our own, and might require only one gas giant to exist. Besides, Pluto has yet to clear its orbital path, but it doesnt get bombarded constantly by debris from the Kuiper bel.. (This last sentence about Pluto is actually 100% ignorance and assumption, I may be disgustingly wrong. And i apologize if I am.)

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by TaraLou
reply to post by Slih_09

Great news!

But you can bet they are not minding their own business, just like we are not minding ours. They will be nosing around space as well and maybe someday we will meet - and they will eat us! Just kidding.

If the super-earths have 5 times the gravity of Earth, then inhabitants would be what science fiction has called "heavy gravity worlders" and they are so much stronger than us they can pick up earthlings and toss them around like toothpicks, well almost. So they might not eat us but they might beat us if we tried to have a physical confrontation with them. So much for the sci-fi digression...

These discoveries make this a truly exciting time to live in. Not too long ago we had no proof of ANY other planets outside our solar system and now the evidence is growing fast.

But what's interesting is that so far, it appears our solar system is somewhat unique or at least not as common as we thought, in that there is so much variety in solar system formation that the idea of our solar system as a "model" has been shattered. For example, the discovery of gas giants orbiting close to stars has eliminated the belief that rocky planets would take that position and the gas giants would be further out. Apparently many types of formations are possible.

It may be hard to detect an earth-sized planet because detecting ANY planet at such great distances is a challenge, so that's probably why they are finding the larger planets. Maybe someday a planet closer to the size of Earth will be found, it's probably just a matter of time and technology.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
They said:

These rocky planets are larger than the Earth but much smaller than ice giants such as Uranus and Neptune.

Ice or a frozen water planet.
Where did that water come from.

Makes me think of Immanuel Velikovsky that said the Deluge of the Bible
came from a cosmic storm.
The Earth caught some water and the outer planets got a big splash
and froze.

Any water from the same storm get caught on the Moon or Mars?

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne
They said:

These rocky planets are larger than the Earth but much smaller than ice giants such as Uranus and Neptune.

Ice or a frozen water planet.
Where did that water come from.

Makes me think of Immanuel Velikovsky that said the Deluge of the Bible
came from a cosmic storm.
The Earth caught some water and the outer planets got a big splash
and froze.

Any water from the same storm get caught on the Moon or Mars?

You're under the assumption that the water on earth and the water on Neptune/Uranus came at the same time, when realistically, they probably didnt.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Excellent post OP! I love hearing about the discovery of other planets. It makes me smile to think there may be life on one of them looking up at there night sky and wondering "Are we alone?" I may not always like the world I live in but I am darn proud to be in such a beautiful universe with so much left to discover and wonder about.

Hypothetically speaking, suppose there is life on one fo them that is at least as aware as we are. I wonder if they would have as a result of their millinia of learning, produced their own religions that became a source of conflict. It may not be God as we know it but the stars seems to invoke spiritual ideas. Every civilization on our planet has had some for spiritual/religious belief. Is it fair to assume that life on other planets would also?

Cheers

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by thebulldog
Excellent post OP! I love hearing about the discovery of other planets. It makes me smile to think there may be life on one of them looking up at there night sky and wondering "Are we alone?" I may not always like the world I live in but I am darn proud to be in such a beautiful universe with so much left to discover and wonder about.

Hypothetically speaking, suppose there is life on one fo them that is at least as aware as we are. I wonder if they would have as a result of their millinia of learning, produced their own religions that became a source of conflict. It may not be God as we know it but the stars seems to invoke spiritual ideas. Every civilization on our planet has had some for spiritual/religious belief. Is it fair to assume that life on other planets would also?

Cheers

I think it's extremely fair to assume that. Although I don't personally believe in a god, I understand why the idea came about. I truly believe that any creature capable of thinking, "Why? Where did I come from? What is death?" will most absolutely create a faith in something supernatural.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Waterworld planet is more Earth-like than any discovered before

Astronomers spotted the waterworld orbiting a star in our cosmic backyard, raising the chances that we will eventually discover planets suitable for life

A giant waterworld that is wet to its core has been spotted in orbit around a dim but not too distant star, improving the odds that habitable planets may exist in our cosmic neighbourhood.

The planet is nearly three times as large as Earth and made almost entirely of water, forming a global ocean more than 15,000km deep.

Guardian UK

Quite fascinating. And makes you wonder if the big one will be discovered soon. Hubble is currently observing the planet and could detail whether or not the planet is inhabited. If Oxygen is prevalent - scientists believe life will be there (majority of Earth's Oxygen comes from life)

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
With the discoveries of water AND amino acids being common in meteorites it is becoming more clear that life in the universe is the rule not the exception.

It seems that life and water planets are not so unique.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
there are about a trillion planets in this galaxy.
just goto your local beach and start looking at individual grains of sand.
u will get bored quickly.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Schmidt1989

You're under the assumption that the water on earth and the water on Neptune/Uranus came at the same time, when realistically, they probably didnt.

With in the age of man water came to the Earth as the Deluge.
Perhaps adding water to the ice planets Neptune and Uranus
Or a separate event.
Neptune and Uranus hit by a stone, ice knocked lose and we have
a way of water heading in our direction.
Small chunks heated up in the atmospheric entry and flooding
the planet. Changing the atmosphere to see rainbows for the
first time.
So Neptune and Uranus are then the source of Earth's water
during the Deluge.
Is that real by your estimate.
Millions of stars and water in meteorites is not the meaning or inference
of life.

[edit on 12/16/2009 by TeslaandLyne]

[edit on 12/16/2009 by TeslaandLyne]

new topics

top topics