It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yellowstone's Plumbing Reveals Plume of Hot and Molten Rock 410 Miles Deep

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
The Link

The most detailed seismic images yet published of the plumbing that feeds the Yellowstone supervolcano shows a plume of hot and molten rock rising at an angle from the northwest at a depth of at least 410 miles, contradicting claims that there is no deep plume, only shallow hot rock moving like slowly boiling soup.

I thought the ATS FE crowd would dig this.

A related University of Utah study used gravity measurements to indicate the banana-shaped magma chamber of hot and molten rock a few miles beneath Yellowstone is 20 percent larger than previously believed, so a future cataclysmic eruption could be even larger than thought.

20% larger does not sound that big, but when you are talking about something 400-big miles this notion does not readily apply.

Enjoy

[edit on 14-12-2009 by Animal]

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Well when that blows we won't have to worry about the U.S. dollar falling becuase most of the U.S. will be dead or dieing or starving.

With the Sulfur in the air and the ash every were it will cover the U.S. like a blanket I think they said 8ft deep.

The government will probally say it was a Terrorist attack and go after Iran or who ever else they want to invade might be Russia by then.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by slipknotrules2009
Well when that blows we won't have to worry about the U.S. dollar falling becuase most of the U.S. will be dead or dieing or starving.

With the Sulfur in the air and the ash every were it will cover the U.S. like a blanket I think they said 8ft deep.

The government will probally say it was a Terrorist attack and go after Iran or who ever else they want to invade might be Russia by then.

There would not be much of a government left and sure won't be much money to do anything. That would be a bad day not just for the USA.

You know, someday that thing IS going to blow and I believe it's due soon.

[edit on 14-12-2009 by intothelight]

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Well if its true and this does happen then any survivors are welcome here if there is a Canada left. I imagine the fallout from such an event would ened up hurting a lot of North America.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
i wonder what the implications of a plume this size actually are? How many variables work together to create a super-volcano? Just the size of the plume? Pressure? Geomorphology? I hope we have a resident expert who can elaborate on exactly what this information means.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

Yellowstone does seem to be acting up. Last time I was there fishing the Madison in 07, some of the asphalt roads were melting and the dome under Yellowstone Lake was rising.

But A, we have our own Caldera in the Jemez that could blow us all to smithereens also. Still a lot of volcanism in the Jemez. I had hot water 1mi. south of the village of Jemez Spgs.

However it is Yellowstone that could be the national catastrophe and we will be singing that old Metallica song "nothing else Matters"

[edit on 14-12-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I would just like to say that the San Antonio Hot Springs in the Jemez are hands down the BEST I have ever had the pleasure to soak in.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
The erruption of yellowstone could be cataclysmic in few ways. It would destroy a lot in America , yes , but it could even lead to the little ice age or the mini ice age , since it's huge and the ash it would sprout out would be even more.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by thebulldog
Well if its true and this does happen then any survivors are welcome here if there is a Canada left. I imagine the fallout from such an event would ened up hurting a lot of North America.

Actually, I've heard if Yellowstone goes, we all go... USA, Canada, China, Russia, etc, etc... It would be a world ending event. 100%.... Its just too massive.

The scary part, and I didn't realize this, was that the magma chamber could be as close as 4 miles from the surface... No wonder the surface bulges up...

Reminds me of that song.... "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"...

top topics

join