It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Infrared space camera will throw new light on night sky

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Hi guys,
Hopefully this new camera will come back with some awesome images, and will find new objects floating around up there we didn't even know existed.

scientists are preparing to put a large, high-resolution infrared camera into orbit that will give a much clearer picture of what is in ''our solar neighbourhood''.

Because most telescopes plumb the heavens in visible light, vast landscapes of the cosmos are hidden from direct view. But the Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer, or WISE, will photograph the entire night sky in infrared light. In the process, it will capture hundreds of thousands of previously unknown objects that are too cool and too dark to be seen.

The expected launch of the $US320 million ($350 million spacecraft from Vandenberg Air Force Base in central California was delayed until Monday due to bad weather.

Once it is in orbit, scientists expect to find tens of thousands more asteroids between Mars and Jupiter; dozens of failed stars known as brown dwarfs; and possibly a giant planet beyond Pluto. Scientists say WISE could revise the familiar portrait of our solar system.

www.theage.com.au... technology/sci-tech/infrared-space-camera-will-throw-new-light-on-night-sky-20091211-kokx.html

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
We already have so many amazing pics from the hubble.

This should prove to be amazing!
Theres so much out there to see.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I've been waiting for this! i thought it was called LISA lol, o well, maybe its another one, same concept though! good find, star and flag.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
The last launch was called WISE. Wide field Infrared explorer.

This will make a great coffee table book.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
There is already one up and photos are available called VISTA, i had no idea.
Here is the current thread by Serbsta with some nice pics
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by wycky

Hey wycky,
Have you seen the hubble wide field images!?? They are insane looking! With this tech, we will be able to see even more.

Alot of people have their interest invested in alien life, but the reality is, maybe they are "stuck" like we are. They cant travel either, possibly. Maybe they look at our solar system, and wonder if there is life, as well....

Even if they are 7k light years away, and we cant see each other or communicate.....how cool would it be just to know its OUT THERE somewhere?

Because we are stuck, it would be awesome to be able to map out everything.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I've heard a theory that alien space craft can de-materialize, and infra-red can only pick them up once they do so... I'm not saying I fully believe this theory and even if this camera does pick up space-craft in the infra-red its not like they will release it to the public.

Perhaps its just a cover for a new way to try and detect alien craft in the infra-red spectrum in outer-space?

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Nomad451

Wouldnt that be a huge cover-up!

I thought of this immediately, though.
If we know thats how to track them...then...we know they exist.
If we know they exist, why are we tracking them?

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by InertiaZero
reply to post by wycky

Hey wycky,
Have you seen the hubble wide field images!?? They are insane looking! With this tech, we will be able to see even more.

Alot of people have their interest invested in alien life, but the reality is, maybe they are "stuck" like we are. They cant travel either, possibly. Maybe they look at our solar system, and wonder if there is life, as well....

Even if they are 7k light years away, and we cant see each other or communicate.....how cool would it be just to know its OUT THERE somewhere?

Because we are stuck, it would be awesome to be able to map out everything.

Yes i have seen some and they are awesome images and looking forwarded to seeing these ones.

I know and 7k light years is nothing. There has to be something out there, whoever thinks this whole universe is just for us, is insane.

top topics

join