It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ACLU rips Obama on Torture Accountability

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
ACLU has attacked Obama for not holding true to his promise to hold responsible those who authorized torture in the "War on Terror".

The New American

At issue is the Obama administration's continuing attempts to exempt top policymakers and the torturers themselves from investigation of violation of federal felony torture statutes. Attorney General Eric Holder announced upon his August 24 appointment of Deputy Assistant Attorney General John Durham to investigate widely reported examples of institutionalized torture by CIA personnel that “I have made it clear in the past that the Department of Justice will not prosecute anyone who acted in good faith and within the scope of the legal guidance given by the Office of Legal Counsel regarding the interrogation of detainees.” Holder's original mandate was to investigate only the Justice Department's Office of Legal Counsel and the mid-level officials — such as torture memo author John Yoo — who gave a legal imprimatur to the Bush policy approved at top levels of the White House.

Torture and "conspiracy to commit torture" carry among the most serious penalties under federal law. Officials who approve of or direct torture are guilty of felony torture and punishable by up to 20 years in prison per incident (or for life if death results from the torture).

The ACLU broadside against the Obama policy stressed that “the administration has not made good on its promise of accountability. Now the administration is suppressing the evidence rather than disclosing it, and protecting torturers instead of investigating them. It is shielding Bush administration officials from civil liability, criminal investigation, and even public scrutiny.”

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

How's all that "Hope & Change" working out for you?

[edit on 14-12-2009 by FortAnthem]

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

At this time I would like to repost the only video of Rachel Maddow I would ever quote.

If anyone has not seen this video yet, it is how Obama and our corrupt system admits to not following the Constitution, anyway listen yourself-

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Great video.

Just goes to show, there's not a dimes worth of difference betweeen Obama & Bush. This truely is Bush's 3rd term.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
“I have made it clear in the past that the Department of Justice will not prosecute anyone who acted in good faith and within the scope of the legal guidance given by the Office of Legal Counsel regarding the interrogation of detainees.”

So the Office of Legal Counsel can issue free "above the law passes" to those who do the govts illegal dirty work. Nice. How 1930s germany

Next time I get pulled over smoking a joint, I'll hand the officer a note from my lawyer that says I'm acting in good faith within the guidance of my personal "Office of Legal Counsel" and cannot be charged.

All men are created equal, eh?.. LMAO... and the govts Office of Legal Counsel holds no more authority to excuse people from the law.. than my office of Legal counsel.

I hope everyone who votes GOP or DNC likes this s#, you made it possible.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I really could care less what the aclu says. Talk about a sick organization that justifies crimes against people.......pot I think the kettle is calling.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I did watch the video. Obama's proposed policy is no different than the "decisions based on fear" that he ripped the Bush administration for making. That's evident when at the end when he stressed that there were people overseas plotting to take American lives right now, 5 years from now and likely 10 years from now - to justify the preventative detention.

But here's another question - why is Maddow calling Obama out on this? She did her best to help the man get elected president. Shouldn't she now just shut the hell up and be happy the conservatives didn't get their way?

top topics

join