It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Help/Advice from ATS members Please

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if people could help recommend a newer book on UFOs/ET/Politics for my father. Not some BS unsubstantiated better as sci-fi stuff, but a decent updated view of things. My dad has been interested in the field for a long time (he is 66). He is also very interested in JFK, and the assassination (he owns the entire warren report, lol). Thanks much!

Best,
Skunknuts

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I've not read any of his recent books (the last was 2003/4), but for me, there is no better researched, level headed and definitve author in the UFO field than Timothy Goode.

I suspect that any of his books would fit the bill perfectly.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fraank Fontaine
I've not read any of his recent books (the last was 2003/4), but for me, there is no better researched, level headed and definitve author in the UFO field than Timothy Goode.

I suspect that any of his books would fit the bill perfectly.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will check out Goode's books right now. BTW, my dad has fond memories from when he lived in Paris back in the 60s while trying to finish his history PhD.

Still open to any other ideas, so keep 'em coming if there are other ideas!

SN

[edit on 12/14/2009 by skunknuts]

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I echo Fraank Fontaine , Timothy Good with the appropriately titled Above Top Secret , A well written and informative read .

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I finished "The Day After Roswell" by Phil Corso recently. That was an interesting read.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
This is hard to pin down, as there is much speculation in this subject, and even the most serious author must have a decent amount of complete crap in his book in order to sell.

Tim is good (lol) I used to like the guy that sold his soul to do a b.s. UFO show (he slid downhill before that, but that was the final straw for me), any of his earlier works are not that bad to read.

But there is not a single book out there that wouldn't make a non-ufo person roll their eyes and chuckle to themselves. It goes with the territory.

If your afraid of him getting the standard public perception about this subject, then whatever you do KEEP HIM FROM GOOGLING IT!!!!!!!!!!!

[edit on 14-12-2009 by IgnoreTheFacts]

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I would also urge you to check out Timothy Good's 'Above Top Secret'

It is one of the best researched, most informative UFO books I've ever read.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Has anyone read Timothy Good's newest book 'Need to Know,' as I'm worried my dad has already read 'Above Top Secret.' What about the Jim Maars book of the same title? I know my dad respects his work on the assassination....?

Thanks,
SN

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Elepheagle

Thanks. I think my dad might have mentioned already reading this book too. Any other ideas?

Best,
SN

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
L.A. Marzulli and Tom Horn may have something appropriate.

www.lamarzulli.net...
(He has several)

www.raidersnewsnetwork.com...
(Scroll down a ways until you come to the part about the books!)

Happy Hunting!

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by skunknuts

I'm probably going to be the only negative reply you will receive but I come to my conclusions after 52 years as a UFO enthusiast, having read my first UFO book in 1957 and hundreds since then and not too many lately for the main reason that there is really nothing worth reading. Almost everyone here is recommending Timothy Good's books but I wouldn't recommend his books because like almost all (if not all!) popular UFO book authors he doesn't offer a balanced point of view since their first agenda is to make sales and UFO book authors have almost to a man found out that the truth doesn't sell since their buyers are almost all gullible so they'll buy anything that's offered and the truth is not necessarily what one finds in these books. Okay, what you are going to get with popular authors' books is going to be repetitive mateiral because there is nothing new under the sun. Everything that is known about UFOs is already out there and all they contain are boring reports.

I know I'll be taken to task for my negative views but if you just do basic research, just go to a book store or online and just read as much as you can and you'll see that none of them knows anymore than the others. Don't waste your money and ask your father to simply get on the web and read all of what's available for free.

Get him a bottle of wine and sit him in front of the monitor and he'll thank you forever.

[edit on 14-12-2009 by The Shrike]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by skunknuts
reply to post by Elepheagle

Thanks. I think my dad might have mentioned already reading this book too. Any other ideas?

Best,
SN

Actually, another one just did come to mind right after I clicked "reply" intending to tell you that I couldn't think of anything else. This one's really cool. A friend of mine knows that I have interest in the subject, and one day at a thrift store he came across one of the neatest, concise little UFO books I've come across.

One of a series on Mysteries of the Unknown, jpublished by Time-Life Books, it's called "The UFO Phenomenon." Just a nice overview of some puzzling cases and information between the 40s and the 80s; a balanced, light read for sure. Might be difficult to get your hands on though.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Get him a PC and introduce the man to ATS.......PLEASE!

He sounds well read, edjumacated, and his interests in/on the subject matter could go the direction he choses, and/or could be swung...hmmm

I think some of the best books/stories out there now are now threads!

Just a thought.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Bill Lyne is in his 60s so anything by him might seem
relevant to your dad's understanding.
Just about every conspiracy is covered.
Plus some insight into UFOs and how it works.

top topics

join