It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands Attend Hamas 22nd Anniversary Rally

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
english.aljazeera.net...

Looks like Hamas is not only popular but its popularity is growing. If the US, EU, and Israel regard it as a terrorist organization I don't see why they don't just call it something new.

What do YOU think?

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I think the Hamas have their pros and cons. Such organizations are polarizing. In the past they went to the table with peace talks but also have innocent blood on their hands.

I know thats a lame answer but my oppinion changes day to day. The problem with a peaceful approach is that you get stepped on quite easily by those that have no qualms about violence. If you turn to violence you will be painted by the other side as vile and uninterested in peace and vice versa.

One person's terrorist is another person's freedom fighter. Perhaps a cliche in this day and age but I think it applies here.

Cheers

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by thebulldog
I think the Hamas have their pros and cons. Such organizations are polarizing. In the past they went to the table with peace talks but also have innocent blood on their hands.

I know thats a lame answer but my oppinion changes day to day. The problem with a peaceful approach is that you get stepped on quite easily by those that have no qualms about violence. If you turn to violence you will be painted by the other side as vile and uninterested in peace and vice versa.

One person's terrorist is another person's freedom fighter. Perhaps a cliche in this day and age but I think it applies here.

Cheers

You wouldn't happen to consider yourself a moderate, would you? Because that is the most classic moderate opinion I have seen in a while.

Anyway...Al Jazeera promoting Hammas? Who would have thought that?

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

I have never really considered myself anything but human being. I certainly have strong oppinions about things I am educated on but I know very little about the complexity of the middle east issues. I have read Noam Chomskys Fateful Triangle but I feel it only represented one side of the issue. Peace in the Middle East however was a book that presented some of the not so pleasant things Hamas has done so I can't say I feel comfortable forming an oppinion one way or the other. But if it is true that thousands support them I wonder. Is it out of fear? is it because they truly represent the will of the people? or is it because there is noone else attempting to change things?

I'm young and my experience in life is limited thus my oppinions are coloured by that ignorance hence my reserved response. lol

Cheers

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I think it's really easy and sensible to have a moderate view towards Hamas. Personally, I sympathize with their struggle and also think they've used inappropriate means.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Moonsouljah

Hamas is a political party with an armed wing. It is democratically elected by Gaza and is the resistance force against occupation. I find only harm in them that they involve little children's, since the younger men are killed or captured by Israel, but again that is no reason to involve children. Apart from that it is fine.

It is a resistance movement same like we have seen other resistance movements in history.

Examples of (Armed) resistance movements: History

Pre-20th century
* Carbonari
* Sons of Liberty
* The Underground Railroad

Pre-World War II
* Irish Republican Army
* The Rising of East Karelians (1921-1922)
* Lwów Eaglets
* Non-Cooperation Movement (1919-1939)
* Filipino guerilla units after official end of Philippine-American War (1902-1913)
* Pancho Villa led a resistance movement/rebellion in Mexico in the early 20th century, as did the Zapata brothers.

World War II
* Albanian resistance movement
* Austrian resistance movement
* Belgian resistance movement
* Bulgarian resistance movement
* Burmese resistance movement
* Czech Resistance movement
* Chinese resistance movements
* Danish resistance movement
* Dutch resistance movement
* Forest Brothers
* French resistance movement
* German resistance movements
* Greek resistance movement
* Italian resistance movement
* Jewish resistance movement, including Jewish partisans and Jewish Anti-Fascist Committee
* Korean resistance movement
* Latvian resistance movement
* Lithuanian resistance during World War II
* Lithuanian, Latvian, and Estonian resistance movements
* Norwegian resistance movement
* Philippine resistance movement
* Polish Underground State and Polish resistance organizations
* Slovak resistance movement
* Soviet resistance movement
* Thai resistance movement
* Ukrainian Insurgent Army
* Yugoslav resistance movements
* Viet Minh

Source: en.wikipedia.org...

Also many people think Hamas favors Al-Qaeda and Sharia Law, which is not true at all. On the contrary they oppose both. In 2008 when Al-Qaeda tried to involve Hamas with them, Hamas openly rejected their offer.

Yes they have been found guilty of committing war crimes in GoldStone report and they should accept responsibility for it and not behave in such manner which hampers their movement credibility.

[edit on 14-12-2009 by December_Rain]

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

Don't get me wrong, I like most of what Hamas is about. I just think they would help themselves by being a little more flexible. The West has them in a corner that I can't think of a good way out of.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

Thank you very much Decemeber Rain for that post, it was enlightening for me. In my limited reading I had only come across polarized oppinions. One was that of a political party and the other of a terrorist organization (Though terrorist I think is a loose term and thrown around too much)

I suppose any group wishing to chnage there situation for the better needs an armed wing but I find it unfortunate conflicts of this nature require violence whether instigated or for defence. Words are powerful and compassion and understanding along with comprimise are values that I don't see hailed as much they should.

Cheers

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Moonsouljah

Not at all taking your flexibility opinion in wrong way. I think its fine Israel remain where it is as long as they return the territory they have built illegal (as per International rules) settlements on. Secondly, open the border and trade routes and not let the area continue like a ghetto. Third pay compensation to Gaza and West Bank for all the atrocities.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Hamas are a resistance movement in the sense that they resist the existence of the state of Israel and the right of Jews to have self-government in any part of what they consider to be Arab Muslim land, including Tel Aviv. This is also the official position of Fatah, although they are prepared to use more diplomatic means to achieve this.

Here is a speech from Hamas Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh made yesterday, promising to "liberate" all of Palestine, in case there is any doubt on that. Alternatively you could just check their charter which states it quite clearly.

Haniyeh: Hamas will liberate Palestine

I'd like to know whether Hamas's supporters on this board agree with these aims.

top topics

join