It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tea party patriots wants mandatory Christmas in schools

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Hey, everyone skipped over my idea.

I know I know, once government sticks their nose in something it is almost impossible to get them out.

Eliminate the federal government from schools. Let each state decide what to do. You know, follow the Constitution.

Instead of mandating the control of everything.

Wait a minute, what is the definition of that again, oh yeah, Fascism.

What we have here is the direct government interference in religion. If the federal government is involved in everything, does that mean that religion cannot exist?

Kind of a pretty sneaky way of eliminating something by indirect mandate.

Hmmmmmm?

Not everyone believes in the same things as I do. So if I do not believe in the same things as government, does that mean I have to be eliminated?

Cannot you people see, why an all intrusive Federal Government and the coming one world government is a bad thing?

Just a moment, I have to go bang my head against a brick wall.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig

Why would you deny children the right to a well rounded education and being a child? Music and Art are just as important to the development of a childs education, as it reading, writing, math, science, history and language. And part of the musical education, be it that you like it or not, is going to be Christmas Carols, and other music that is with God. Or would you cut out music and art from a childs education, as it would touch on that topic? Most music, can trace its roots back in history, from the modern day all of the way back to the roman/greco times. So there really is no way not to hit apon those songs. The same thing with Art, you go back through Art history and you are going to see religious topics. And what about world history, are you going to cut that from the circulum as well?

No. You miss the point completely. Teaching history and the history of world religions is one thing. I expect that for my dollar. Forcing schools to include Christmas celebrating is not. There is a big difference between learning about Christians and their holiday and being forced to celebrate it every single year. Unless you expect that you kids will also being singing pagan songs and muslim chants? I do not even necessarily have a problem with the kids getting all of that but then when the hell are they supposed to learn how to add? It would be great if every day was a new festival of some other religious holiday in school but then our children would be even more worthless on the world stage than they are now. That is not what I am paying for. You are being myopic in that you think this Christmas forced inclusion sounds so cheery but you forget how many people in the country are not of any religion that acknowledges that holiday. Wal-Mart does not represent the country as a whole and until school is somehow magically free and twice as long, I would really rather my children learn something. They can sing about frosty allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll day long after 3. Do you really think I am being abusive by demanding children learn for 5 hours a day in the school I pay for them to learn in? Do your kids have no free time for caroling? Chat me up, I am sure I can help your schedule.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lillydale

Originally posted by sdcigarpig

Why would you deny children the right to a well rounded education and being a child? Music and Art are just as important to the development of a childs education, as it reading, writing, math, science, history and language. And part of the musical education, be it that you like it or not, is going to be Christmas Carols, and other music that is with God. Or would you cut out music and art from a childs education, as it would touch on that topic? Most music, can trace its roots back in history, from the modern day all of the way back to the roman/greco times. So there really is no way not to hit apon those songs. The same thing with Art, you go back through Art history and you are going to see religious topics. And what about world history, are you going to cut that from the circulum as well?

No. You miss the point completely. Teaching history and the history of world religions is one thing. I expect that for my dollar. Forcing schools to include Christmas celebrating is not. There is a big difference between learning about Christians and their holiday and being forced to celebrate it every single year. Unless you expect that you kids will also being singing pagan songs and muslim chants? I do not even necessarily have a problem with the kids getting all of that but then when the hell are they supposed to learn how to add? It would be great if every day was a new festival of some other religious holiday in school but then our children would be even more worthless on the world stage than they are now. That is not what I am paying for. You are being myopic in that you think this Christmas forced inclusion sounds so cheery but you forget how many people in the country are not of any religion that acknowledges that holiday. Wal-Mart does not represent the country as a whole and until school is somehow magically free and twice as long, I would really rather my children learn something. They can sing about frosty allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll day long after 3. Do you really think I am being abusive by demanding children learn for 5 hours a day in the school I pay for them to learn in? Do your kids have no free time for caroling? Chat me up, I am sure I can help your schedule.

No, I am not missing the point, the point being that Chrismas carols and holiday songs have been sung in the schools for a long time, and to remove that traditions because some find such offensive is equally wrong. Most young, elementary school children, do not think about the words, the memorize the words, try to sing on key, get up, have fun for a few moments, get applause and then sit down. And to sit there and to either mandate one way or the other, is wrong. And it should be to the teachers to determine how to celebrate the holiday season, within reason, and christmas carols, and holiday songs are the most benign way of doing such. What would you rather hear, children trying to memorize a christmas carol for a pagent at school, or the latest rap song about whores, drugs and killing?

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Will those little tots who are given the magic of Christmas get to learn about ALL the various little customs and traditions of this holiday season? I doubt that the efforts of this group is to spread the knowledge of paganism...

I'm not bashing Christians here (what you personally believe in is your own business), I'm just pointing out that the holiday - rather than the Christian religious celebration - is loaded with non-Christian images that were 'adopted' over the years.

I hope they think about their actions when the sit by their decorated evergreen tree, with their Yule logs, holly boughs/wreaths etc. and kiss under the mistletoe. They'll probably hang up their stockings and rush off to bed to await the gifts that Santa Claus brings them (replete in his corporate Coca Cola colours). Nothing Christian yet in that little list.

Some of them might go to church on Christmas day. At least that's in the spirit of things Christian....

The "Christmas" holiday has very little to do with the birth of Jesus Christ (I won't get into that here) and more to do with the winter solstice, fertility rites, worship of the sun, earth religions, and a few miscellaneous pagan gods.

I guess my point is that try as these groups may, they are just perpetuating pagan symbolism in the minds of the young. Not, I am sure, their intentions.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
"The initiative would require schools to provide children the opportunity to listen to or perform Christmas carols"-from op

The keyword(s) here are... "Provide children the opportunity".
They arent saying "mandatory".... simply stating that kids should have the
opportunity to sing songs if they want to sing songs.
We celebrate halloween in schools,and thanksgiving...Whats so diff about christmas? Sure it is a religious holiday, but it never says it is mandatory.
They are just asking to at least give the children the choice to do so amongst their peers. Whats so wrong about that?

You sir/madam deserve way more stars than you have for this post. This is exactly what most people refuse to do, read an article and understand it. At no point does it say the children are required to do jack, just that they are given the freedom to if they so desire.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

My above post was somewhat facetious. It seems like every... single... year the 'Christmas wars' begin. On one hand you have team A saying 'More Christmas!' On the other you have those saying, 'Separation of church and state!' So my above post was a general reply to the fiasco that breaks out every year.

On THIS particular issue, I find myself agreeing with Vitchilo HERE. The purpose of the tea parties is LESS government intervention- not more. Also, out of all the problems our world, country, and schools are facing, the last thing I'm worried about is whether or not my son is getting to sing Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer in school.

But you poo-pooed that very correct opinion when Vitchilo offered it by thinking the tea party movement is some borg-like entity. As a liberal, do you agree with all things liberal? No, probably not. Likewise, we may not agree with all things tea party protest. This is a group in California. They don't speak for everyone and if you can't acknowledge us disagreeing with their movement than I am somewhat suspicious of this being a bait thread. You had someone come in and virtually agree with you that this concept was ridiculous but still had to take a dig by stereotyping.

reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

No, that's not a good idea. It's too hypocritical and wanting to have your cake and eat it too. You can't say no mention of Christmas but give me my holiday. It's like a racially prejudiced person saying to remove the MLK from MLK day but give me my federal holiday. It doesn't work like that.

The kids should have had their break over thanksgiving. Or we can expand it to a full week instead of Wednesday-Friday like it is. But nothing in December. It's only fair. School in session all month. The Christians can have excused absences the week of Christmas. The Jews can have a week off for Hanukkah. The pagans can have a week off for the solstice. Week off for Kwanzaa. Week off for Eid ul-Adha. Etc.

Not fair to have the 'winter break' overlapping only some of their holidays is it?

Yes, the above is ridiculous and I'm not supporting the concept at all. Just trying to show a point. We scream separation of church and state unless it benefits us. And again, if the defense is 'But Christmas is secular!' Then let's hush up on the religious aspect of it. If not, we should start a petition to remove Christmas holidays. But of course I never hear of any movement for that. Just to remove the Christmas from the holidays while still wanting our holiday.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Your assertion that there are two discernible sides to this issue is, at best, mistaken. It seems clear the original poster has definitely taken a side and most certainly exhibits the behavior you describe, which was:

"a one-way highway to their views."

However, those who entered this thread to defend the values of the Tea Party have not taken any stance that only their views matter and it is a "one way highway". Quite the contrary, they have spoken to the values of the Tea Party without insisting they are right and others are wrong and the only post I can find declaring Christmas a must, was from a self avowed "Jew" who seemed to be praising Christmas not for its religious value but for its cultural allure and the perception that the gifts given on Christmas are cooler.

While that poster did spend a bit of time denigrating Kwanzaa, it struck me this was out of jest, rather than a my way or the highway type of attitude. Even the assertion that this poster would begin kicking butts if Christmas were ever banned seemed to be out of jest rather than a zealous Christian zeal and given the claim that their faith was Judaism, I think it would be fair to assume it was not Christian fervor that was being extolled but just a love for the holiday that Americans have come to call Christmas.

The fervor and zealousness seems to be fairly one sided in this thread and it hasn't been from any Christian attempting to shove their faith down the throats of others, it has come from a different faith and those who believe in that faith have been particularly zealous about shoving their beliefs down the throats of either Christians or "Americans". That being said, I enjoyed your interpretation of the Establishment Clause, and thought it was well thought out and presented clearly and effectively.

Yes thank you... For getting my sense of humor

I will always put my Menorah atop the Mantle, where honestly it will be dwarfed by my X-mas tree.

If People want to invent a holiday day in the Month where they Add recognition for their Blackness why not...

But you ADD these things into Christmas...

This Holiday, has been celebrated since the dawn of time, mostly through recent centuries with the colors of that Happy Mushroom the Tree and ALWAYS the feast...

We all know The Christian Angle ...Jesus's birthday was sort of moved to fit the PAGAN Holiday.

And Christians... Have the ONE little Christ setup sitting in...$30,000.000 worth of lights and Candy Canes lol... and I Have my Menorah there and Brothers Can put a basket of Fruit on the Table lol

But you don't have to be a divisive jerk and destroy traditions of Christians just to play hate games and reinvent and dull down a great American Tradition

There has been this CONSTANT attack on American Traditions since I was in HS this last 20 years

And...(I am not totally joking when I say someone is going to get their butt handed to them) I am actually quite ANGRY about this nonsense...

This is AMERICA this is also a Democracy in which MAJORITY RULES not fringe interests

By NUMBER aprox 200 MILLION of our roughly 300 Million are Christian or Catholic, Wikipedia lists them at 75%... let me repeat that 75%

And it lists another 15% as Atheist or NO religion (which I think it's fair to say... those people would rather stick with XMAS mostly as it IS, with the whole Santa thing etc...) For MOST I would dare say, while not believers, they like their Egg Nog and parties and the rest....mostly

Now actual potential for religious conflict

10% of this Nation has an actual Opposing belief... 10%

This is DEMOCRACY? when you can't show old Christmas Cartoons and use the word on Banners in stores? a Minimum of 75% of the population celebrates something and 3 Million "OTHER" of any variant group gets to shut it down?

Bottom Line... we are told daily we have no culture because we go places and are arrogant, but the reality ...who the Hell is showing respect for our Traditions?

AMERICA

Has great damn holidays, we are a CELEBRATORY nations...

It has little to do with X-mas alone but IF any 4 Million Muslims want to come here and tell us we have to shut down the FUN because of them or any one else...

It's simply time to deport them, they are rude not the rest of us... they don't belong

Kwanzaa... what little Black kid isn't DISAPPOINTED when their activist parent LISTENS to small special interest groups that wish to rebel against the mainstream and dash Christmas?

Hanukkah... 90% of Jews are just like me and wish to participate in the festivities...

But lets really go into the WHY!!!!

Small organizations that have ATTACKED our fledgling culture from within

Take THANKSGIVING

A great Idea... under constant PC assault because of the Natives and what happened... WHY? why do we need to go into the AWFUL on a HOLIDAY, No One would DARE go into the ISLAM atrocities on Ramadan or anyone else...

It's a Holiday of Thanks... Thanks, Thankfully what transpired AFTER that pilgrim meal is over lol... bring it up in COLLEGE AP HISTORY ...NOT to my 8 year old and his Native friend the day before the feast you rude obnoxious jerks...

Christmas... DITTO, it OFFENDS someone? awwwwwww I bleed for that person and their under 1% of the population status...

How about THEY do as I do and Show some RESPECT for the people of the host Nation THEY FLED TO

Does it HURT me to put up a Menorah and a TREE and Join in with EVERYONE ELSE in Being Happy and Celebrating?

NO

It's Called Integrating into your Host Culture... it doesn't mean Loosing your own, it means being a part of the nation you CAME TO LIVE IN

And frankly...

As I said i'm mad, we live in a nation where Minority not Majority rules, this is NOT a Democracy anymore...

If it was it would be CHRISTMAS in school, on the street everywhere...

It's an example and a good one of how special interests have usurped our Nation

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Badgered1

That is the WHOLE point...

Christmas is a pagan Holiday that Christians Like My Jewish self went with the flow on for sake of PEACE and CELEBRATION...

It's an American Holiday we should Unite not divide, Christians throw in a Manger me a menorah and we Enjoy the festivities TOGETHER

it's NOT a time for POLITICAL statements like Kwanzaa... it's Christmas time, put down your Bow tie and attitude ONE WEEK of the damn year

It's NOT time to remember the division between Jews and Christians it's time to Celebrate TOGETHER

It's DEFINITELY not time for Islamics to tell me NOT to drink my RUM...GO HOME of you don't like it...you came here 90% of you for FREEDOM from other Members of your religion who OPPRESSED You

I have no intention of disrespect for these people, but they should recognize the Divisive nature of the a handful of organizations not them as people... that Choose to attack our culture and traditions and draw them into this behavior and division.

Christmas is Not purely a christian Holiday in this Country it's American, it's Pagan it's everyone's there is no reason a Kwanzaa song can't be thrown into a pagent in school as PART OF the whole thing or ditto for Hanukkah

But replacing Christmas is an assault on the Culture of the Majority not some freedom from Oppression, if you find Christmas oppressive...well obviously your living a life where Everything exists to victimize you and probably should be at a shrink.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Ah well to nit-pick. We are not a Democracy nor are we Majority Ruled.

Representative Republic with democratic principles on the Federal level. Majority only plays part in picking the representatives that we send to Washington. Once there, there is no majority rule, except in House votes.

Other than that, I agree with you. Its a tradition vs progress battle that has been and always will be in constant conflict.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   

I knew you weren't entirely joking when you said you'd open up a can of whoop-AST if they banned Christmas, and being a big fan of Christmas myself, I appreciate your ire. I merely wanted to point out that the that at that time I posted that comment and at that point in the thread there was really only one side that was shoving an ideology down peoples throat and it wasn't the fans of Christmas.

I would, however, have to take issue with you that this is a democracy where majority rules. It is interesting to me, as I have taken issue with people in this site over the naming of the U.S. as a democracy. I have been somewhat of a stickler on that perception pointing out that the U.S. is by Constitutional mandate, a constitutional republic. There have been others who felt I was being a bit pedantic about this and that democracy and republic could be easily interchanged in this regard, but your insistence that a majority rules in the U.S. is exactly why I am such a stickler about pointing out the U.S. is a republic and not a democracy.

The majority does not rule in the U.S. nor does any minority, but instead the people rule. The reason our Founders set up the republic they did was to prevent any minority from abrogating and derogating the rights of individuals or minorities. We can not as any majority vote our rights away. We do not have the right to do that. Rights are not a privilege that can be granted by governments and if they were then governments could take them away. Indeed, in countries where rights are afforded to their subjects instead of being acknowledged as inalienable, rights are often taken away and even in countries such as the U.S., where the elected and appointed officials are subjects and the people rule, government officials and even people are constantly dismissing the inalienable nature of rights and arguing how they can be taken away.

The U.S. is not a democracy in the sense that any majority can decide what is best for any individual. In fact, at no point in the Constitution will you ever find the word democracy even mentioned. What is mentioned and guaranteed to the states admitted into the union is a republic. Democracy is not the hallmark of freedom, inalienable rights protected from governments and other people is the hallmark of freedom. The best and surest way to protect ones rights is to zealously and vociferously assert them. To some degree, this is what the left is doing by insisting on a separation of church and state.

However, while the Establishment Clause found in the Bill of Rights and the no religious test Clause found in Article VI section 3 do prohibit the government from mandating a national or even state religion, there is no mandate to separate church from state. In the early days of the U.S. there was no prohibition of the states to mandate a state religion but the 14th Amendment has changed this and today, no state nor the federal government may force the people to worship a religion not of their own choosing. That being said, the forced removal of innocuous Christmas songs from public schools is taking it too far and is in itself a form of forced religion, as it is imposing the religiosity of secularism on the people.

It may sound contradictory to refer to secularism as religious but it is the zealous nature of those who are demanding a "separation of church and state" through removal of all things religious in public places that in itself has become a sort of religion with many adherents who worship at the alter of anti-religion. Particularly anti-Christianity, as frighteningly so as anti-Semitic behavior has been. I agree with you that merely because public displays of a particular religious faith might offend some people is not a good enough reason to demand the current types of prohibitions that are happening.

An earlier poster asserted that separation of church and state was the bedrock of the Founders belief and there is not enough historical evidence to support this. Indeed, the phrase "separation of church and state" is not at all found in the Constitution and was first used by Thomas Jefferson in a letter to the Danbury Baptists while he was President. While Jefferson was raised an Anglican, he was most likely a Deist who did not hold to any particular Christian tenet. However, many of the founders did including John Adams, so while some were not necessarily Christians others were deeply so. The bedrock of their beliefs was freedom, and even that seemed to come with caveats as Jefferson was a slave owner who had difficulties balancing his beliefs in freedom with his ownership of slaves.

What is certain, is that from the very beginning of this remarkable American experiment, we the people have been divided on a great number of issues, and remain so today. I personally hold that the best way to eradicate the issue of offending people in public schools is to do away with them all together and let parents either home school their children or pay for a private school and there is no Constitutional mandate either federal and to the best of my knowledge in any state, that forces the government to provide the people with an education. That, of course, is just my humble opinion...not about what the Constitution says, but that we the people should stop funding through tax dollars a public school system that seems to be failing anyway.

At any rate, I enjoyed your original rant, and wish you not only a happy Hanukkah but a very, merry Christmas and a happy new year!

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Majority rules when something is put to a vote and the majority votes one way or another. Just saying that Christianity is the majority religion does not mean that we all have to celebrate Christmas, or do others have to practice any other Christian ways.

Now, if this idea of mandatory Christmas was put to a vote and the majority voted that it should be, then unfortunately, there's not much anyone can really do accept fight it, but until they win their argument against it, Christmas would be mandatory.

However, I think you'd be surprised to possibly find that the majority would not vote to make it mandatory to celebrate a certain religions holiday, because most Americans still believe that it's not okay to force your beliefs on someone.

Note: I celebrate Christmas every year. I'm being a devil's advocate here.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

That's not even close to fascism. Your ignorance is showing.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by davesidious

Its a convoluted and forced definition but you are correct. It is not Fascism.

One could say that having a centralized Department of Education that has complete control on the strict policies and social regiments that the DOE has, could be fascist in nature, but it is a LONG stretch and a word thrown around too much.

Edit: Might I suggest if you are to claim their ignorance is showing, work to enlighten why it is not even close to fascism? Rather than put the person down for ignorance?

[edit on 14-12-2009 by ownbestenemy]

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Star for you! Great post.

I'd like to add to your assertion that it is not majority rule in the US that the majority normaly tend to take the minority into account.

I'd like to imagine the even though the majority of Americans are Christian, not all Christians would vote to make Christmas mandatory because they would take the minorities interests into account.

Same with abortion (sorry to bring up a touchy subject). There are a number of people who may not believe in abortion and think it's wrong; however, they do not think it's right to force that belief on others in the form of legislation to make it illegal.

I believe this is one of the best things about our country. We still care for the "little guys" (forgive the expression but it's the best one I had).

One more thing I'd like to add is that I also disagree that Christmas should be banned from schools. It's just as bad as making it mandatory. I do however, think schools should acknowledge other religious holidays during this time of year. Most of them seem to coincide with eachother.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
No, that's not a good idea. It's too hypocritical and wanting to have your cake and eat it too.

Well, if we CAN eat our cake and have it, too, why not? Why not make a compromise that would give everyone some of what they want? Christians and other religious people who have a holiday at the end of the year can celebrate in their chosen fashion and those who don't wish to celebrate a religious holiday can celebrate secular Christmas, the Solstice or just have a Winter Break just like the Spring Break.

You can't say no mention of Christmas but give me my holiday.

You are assuming my position.

That's not what I'm saying.
I don't have any problem at all with schools talking about Christmas, or even singing songs about it. As long as they talk about Hannakuh and other religious holidays and traditions throughout the year.

Not fair to have the 'winter break' overlapping only some of their holidays is it?

I don't know what's "not fair" about it.

We scream separation of church and state unless it benefits us.

Who's "us"? Because I don't do that.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
This lady is either missing the entire point of the Tea Parties, or she is an agent provacateur. It's very likely that she is with the same people that sent those folks to the town hall meetings to yell out things about Israeli Nazi's and so forth; who, when questioned, ended up being on the left-wing side of things. Or she may possibly just be an insane idiot. Be aware guys, they'll try infiltrating groups who want reduced government for the purposes of making them appear to be ignorant and/or hypocritical.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian

Shes wearing the same tea party outfit as the rest of you, and she certainly walked hand in hand with you. So why should I consider her any different?

That is one of the most bigoted statements I've ever seen! It also shows you are out of touch with reality whether intentional (trolling) or because you truly believe that (illiteracy).

Tea Party is simply people who are fed up with the government in general. There is a mixture of many points of view.

Instead of slandering people you don't know, why did you not ask others who agree with the concept of taking back control of "Our" government from the extremists and special interests how we feel about this persons wishes?

Beware Frosty the Snowman -

Frosty The Snowman

Frosty the snowman was a jolly happy soul,
With a corncob pipe and a button nose
And two eyes made out of coal.
Frosty the snowman is a fairy tale, they say,
He was made of snow but the children
Know how he came to life one day.
There must have been some magic in that
Old silk hat they found.
For when they placed it on his head
He began to dance around.
O, Frosty the snowman
Was alive as he could be,
And the children say he could laugh
And play just the same as you and me.
Thumpetty thump thump,
Thumpety thump thump,
Look at Frosty go.
Thumpetty thump thump,
Thumpety thump thump,
Over the hills of snow.

Frosty the snowman knew
The sun was hot that day,
So he said, "Let's run and
We'll have some fun
Now before I melt away."

Down to the village,
With a broomstick in his hand,
Running here and there all
Around the square saying,
Catch me if you can.
He led them down the streets of town
Right to the traffic cop.
And he only paused a moment when
He heard him holler "Stop!"
For Frosty the snow man
Had to hurry on his way,
But he waved goodbye saying,
"Don't you cry,
I'll be back again some day."
Thumpetty thump thump,
Thumpety thump thump,
Look at Frosty go.
Thumpetty thump thump,
Thumpety thump thump,
Over the hills of snow.

Jingle Bells -

Dashing through the snow
On a one-horse open sleigh,
Over the fields we go,
Laughing all the way;
Bells on bob-tail ring,
Making spirits bright,
What fun it is to ride and sing
A sleighing song tonight
Jingle bells, jingle bells,
Jingle all the way!
O what fun it is to ride
In a one-horse open sleigh

A day or two ago,
I thought I'd take a ride,
And soon Miss Fanny Bright
Was seated by my side;
The horse was lean and lank;
Misfortune seemed his lot;
He got into a drifted bank,
And we, we got upsot.
Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells,
Jingle all the way!
What fun it is to ride
In a one-horse open sleigh.

A day or two ago,
The story I must tell
I went out on the snow
And on my back I fell;
A gent was riding by
In a one-horse open sleigh,

He laughed as there
I sprawling lie,
But quickly drove away.
Jingle all the way!
What fun it is to ride

Now the ground is white
Go it while you're young,
Take the girls tonight
And sing this sleighing song;
Just get a bob-tailed bay
Two-forty as his speed
Hitch him to an open sleigh
And crack! you'll take the lead.
Jingle all the way!
What fun it is to ride

White Christmas

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
Just like the ones I used to know
Where the treetops glisten
And children listen
To hear sleigh bells in the snow.

With every Christmas card I write
May your days be merry and bright
And may all your Christmases be white.

With every Christmas card I write
May your days be merry and bright
And may all your Christmases be white.

We Wish You A Merry Christmas

We wish you a merry Christmas
And a happy New Year.
Glad tidings we bring
To you and your kin;
Glad tidings for Christmas
And a happy New Year!

We want some figgy pudding
Please bring it right here!
Glad tidings we bring
To you and your kin;
And a happy New Year!

We won't go until we get some
So bring it out here!
Glad tidings we bring
To you and your kin;
And a happy New Year!

We wish you a Merry Christmas
And a happy New Year.
Glad tidings we bring
To you and your kin;
And a happy New Year!

Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer

Grandma got run over by a reindeer.
Walking home from our house Christmas eve.
You can say there's no such thing as Santa,
But as for me and grandpa we believe.
She'd been drinking too much eggnog,
And we begged her not to go.
But she forgot her medication, and she
Staggered out the door into the snow.
When we found her Christmas morning,
At the scene of the attack,
She had hoof-prints on her forehead,
And incriminating Claus marks on her back.

Now we're all so proud of grandpa,
He's been taking this so well.
See him in there watching football,
Drinking root beer and
Playing cards with Cousin Mel.
It's not Christmas without Grandma,
All the family's dressed in black
And we just can't help but wonder:
Should we open up her gifts,
Or send them back?
Send them back!!

Now the goose is on the table
And the pudding made of fig
And the blue and silver candles
That would just have matched
The hair on grandma's wig.
I've warned all my
Friends and neighbors
Better watch out for yourselves,
They should never give a license
To a man who drives a sleigh
And plays with elves.

Would you be so kind as to point out the religious aspects of the classic Carols above that have upset you so badly?

You are of course aware that Christmas is also a sectarian holiday, celebrated by many as just a day of giving and showing love for one another. Very evil. Very scary.

Christmas can be celebrated either way. Freedom means the choice is ours. Nobody needs to answer to those control freaks who want to dictate to us what we may or may not celebrate and how.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

The above is the law. Seems very fair to most all of us. Live and let live is what it is saying. There will always be people who want to force everyone else inside their narrow containers. Control freaks and the power mad.

As for me, Christmas is possitive whether celebrated as a sectarian holiday or a religious one. There is something very right about people giving gifts, celebrating and expressing love to one another and it appeals to me. I feel sorry for the depressed among us who are unable to share in it. I feel even worse for those so angry that the exhibition of love and gift giving angers them. Their lives must be incredibly tortuous and sad.

I nearly forgot -

Merry Christmas Southern Guardian and may you have a joyous holiday season and a wonderful New Year!

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I am an Atheist and I defend Christmas songs in school.
Christmas is an old American Tradition.
Most kids don't look at Christmas as a religious holiday.
Its a fun time. Its go to Grandma's house and eat and eat and eat...and that Apple pie. I getting up early to see what Santa brought. Everyone enjoys it. The scent of a real Xmas tree and the fun of decorating it; its an exciting high adrenalin time.

Many people do not know that Jesus birthday was overlaid on the birth of all other "messiahs" which also were personifications of the SUN. It is indeed a Solstice Celebration. The Solstice Celebration should be acknowledged. The only reason that it has not been, is that the religious have stated that is a "wikkid Pagan" thing and they buried it.

Now is the time to bring it into common knowledge.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

Thank you OhZone. I find most Atheists have your opinion. Christmas is how you choose to celebrate it.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   

I completely agree with you. I dont belive in any religion but I love celebrating christmas. Ive celebrated it all my life and I couldn't imagine life without it.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join