It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing Optical Illusions!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Awesome vid mate... when I was younger, I had a small book with a picture of a man "running" and if I switched the pages really fast I could see him actually... running... lol, I guess it's similar to those illusions in the vid.

[edit on 14-12-2009 by Moraz]

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Moraz
Awesome vid mate... when I was younger, I had a small book with a picture of a man "running" and if I switched the pages really fast I could see him actually... running... lol, I guess it's similar to those illusions in the vid.

[edit on 14-12-2009 by Moraz]

Hi Moraz,

Thanks for the reply. Are you talking about those little thick comic books? I had one of those and it had little character's in the bottom corner... And, just like you said, if I flipped through the pages fast, it animated the little character....

I thought it was pretty cool. Thanks for the memories!

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Cool video!
One of my favorite optical illusions has got to be the "spinning girl"
who appears to change direction,but in reality does not:

www.womansday.com...

[edit on 14/12/2009 by Silcone Synapse]

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Ah yes, I remember that one... That is pretty freaky too... I remember if I looked at her feet, and then looked back up at her, she would rotate the opposite direction.

Thanks for the contribution!!

If anything, these things are pretty telling on how easy it is to fool the mind.

I think I read somewhere that some guy (a magician I think) wrote a book for the CIA spies on how to camouflage themselves...

If I ever build my own home, I will be incorporating some optical illusions within... I think it would be just neat...

Imagine... "Where's the bathroom? I can't find the bathroom...."...

Ok, maybe that is not such a great idea....

But thanks for the reply, appreciate it!

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ByteChanger

No worries,its a cool thread.
You are right,it shows how easy the brain can be fooled.

Heres another one thats a real head bender,should have an epilepsy warning on it I think-my mate who suffers from epilepsy can view most of these optical illusions fine,but this one is dangerous to him he said:

interactive.usc.edu...

Which is a dang shame,as I wanted to cover my car in stencils of it...Oh well maybe not such a good idea.It would make a cracking wallpaper though...

There was a book I had as a kid which was just like your you tube video-I couldn't remember it though,my Bro reminded me when he saw that vid.
Another great one I had as a kid was a spinning disk which you stared at for 30seconds,then look at your hand/someones face-It makes it look like theres a weird wormy spiral movement under the skin!!
Top fun!

If you like optical illusions,do you also like those "magic eye" pictures?
Or MC Escher?

www.magiceye.com...

images.google.co.uk...< br />
Not strictly optical illusions though,but cool.

[edit on 14/12/2009 by Silcone Synapse]

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by GUNSINWAR

This is really amazing loving it!!!!

Thank you for sharing it!

Any back ground on how they did this illusion?

I imagine that they wrote a computer program to generate the transparency and another program to generate printouts for a sequence of frames.

The program would print all frames on top of each other, with each frame masked by a grid, whereby frame 0 has the grid offset a given distance, frame 1 has the grid offset by a couple mm's and so on. Then upon sliding the grid over it, the result is that it filters, or hides away all but one frame at a time. sliding it causes the frames to become uncovered in sequence.

-rrr

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
That's pretty cool, Just another way of doing a frame by frame. Sort of reminds me of the old deck of picture cards that produce optical movement. but A much better way

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Hi ByteChanger,

I'm not "artistically inclined" also. More technical type. 99% of "art" is basically technical knowledge or experience. It is true IMO at every instance of art. You need practice to be virtuoso. The 1% is border between craftsmen and genius. Still genius need same practice as ordinary craftsman to be able to perform his geniality. Art is no mystery, just hard work.

As for techno daze. We have DIY soundsystem for 15 years and we still do parties. I just switched to other things then video - now I'm working on tesla coil

You mentioned virtual 'deformed mirrors'... Is that like the mirrors those fun houses have at the carnival's? Sounds like a complicated task to do on a computer.

I did this effect in 3ds max. It is very easy - just do rectangular mesh, dense enough to avoid artifacts, apply 100% mirroring surface on the mesh, point camera in middle of the mesh and then animate some deformation on the mesh. Every object behind camera will be distorted as in "fun house", but because deformation of mirror itself is animated, the distortion of objects behind camera will be also animated.
It is possible to do same effect (not so flexible) in 2d animation packages via animated "bump map" and some trickery depending on particular package. It is no science, just - as you said - fun.

I found backup of my old works, but its on company server and it will take some time till I download it and check out. After years I'm not familiar with my naming conventions any more
Then I'll share it with you via ftp - I provided it as public domain years ago ...

Thank you for your interest

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

I did multimedia CD for some neuroscience guru here in CZ years ago. It was very interesting, I learned lot of things about brain functions. He was very open minded guy and I presented him my "techno" works despite he is 40 years older then me. He said: "Well, this is perfect epilepsy attack trigger."

Off topic but funny story: part of CD should have been 3d rotation of brain. It is almost impossible to create brain using standard modeling methods - at least at budget available. So I asked him for a plaster model of brain - every medical faculty should have one I supposed - which I can use in 3d scanner. He called me after week and asked if I can visit him at his work place. Work place was pathology department and I was equipped there with plastic bucket, pair of surgical glows and tweezer. Bucket was full of physiological solution and - real brain. My task was to peel of upper brain membrane - believe me, it isn't easy task. But I had lot of fun with it. First when my girlfriend came home and I asked her to look into the bucket in bathroom
Second time when I brought real brain to company which owned 3d scanner - they also supposed that I'll bring plaster model

EDIT: grammar

[edit on 15-12-2009 by zeddissad]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   
You have got to see this!

WTF????

top topics

<< 1   >>

join