It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three New Planets Found - Similar to Those of Our Solar Sytem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Considering the following news article from Channel4, we may be closer to discovering planets with life. Because these planets have a sun and orbit it in the same way earth does, there is a slight possibility of lifeforms.

Three new planets have been found orbiting a nearby star that is almost identical to the sun. Dr Marek Kukula of the Royal Greenwich Observatory spoke to Channel 4 News.

The planets were discovered by British, Australian and American astronomers.

The planets range from between five and 25 times the size of the earth - similar to that of other planets in our solar system.

Dr Marek Kukula, the public astronomer at the Royal Greenwich Observatory, told Channel 4 News: "We haven't actually seen them directly, and this is one of the reasons why this discovery is such a tricky thing to do.

"The planets are far too small and faint to be seen next to the brightness of the star that they're going around. What the scientists have done is look for the tiny wobble in the position of the star that the planets produce when they go around it.

"In the last 15 years scientists have discovered about 400 planets going around other stars, but the holy grail is finding planets that look like the ones in our solar system - similar orbits and similar sizes. We're a step closer to that with this discovery, so it is quite significant."

www.channel4.com...

[edit on 13-12-2009 by TimothyMartin]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
While it's definitely interesting, it's not the way you're portraying it. The article you copy/pasted (could we get a source, by the way?) only mentions the possibility of planets at the star because of their evaluation of the sun's wiggles.

As a comparison, there are nine planets in our solar system (eight if you don't count Pluto) and only one has so far been proven to have life. It's theorized that Mars may have had life at one point, microbial at that, but that's still seven other planets without it.

Just because there's potentially a planet circling a sun doesn't mean that planet will have life. The likelihood is that it won't, judging by what we know thus far.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by EsSeeEye

All I was saying is we are closer to maybe finding new life.

You seem angry...

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I love how they use nearby as such a loose term. Makes it sound like its just down the way a little bit.
They keep finding more evidence of life everywhere -- Just a matter of time now (patiently waits)

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by '___'omino

Well, considering we previously had no idea there was any thing like our solar sytem visable to us, this counts as nearby.

I'm sure if there is life on the planets the government will hide it from us...

By the way, is that 'The Greatful Dead' I see?

[edit on 13-12-2009 by TimothyMartin]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I love how they say a 'slight possibility' of lifeforms....lol

I think there is more than a slight possiblility...billions and billions and billions of stars and trillions and trillions of plantets orbiting those stars...I wish we lived in a world where scientist actually got excited about there 'discoveries' and didn't care that people called them cooks and quacks and just went back to their work until they had something else great to tell us that the masses would ridicule them for. Scientist now are like everyone else (for the most part) ... just in it to collect their paycheck and benefits.

I miss Mr. Wizard.....he made science fun. ;-)

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TimothyMartin

Hey timothy...

Welcome to the site...

Use the search bar...it's an amazing thing.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by happygolucky

I wonder why I didn't notice that before...
Sorry for that.

[edit on 14-12-2009 by TimothyMartin]

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by pizzanazi75

Not all scientists are afraid to tell people they believe in UFOs... just most are.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.
Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

new topics

top topics

join