It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why not kill yourself?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by greenelectrictrain

Your quote from Anne Frank should bring us all to our knees, and our senses.

There was a girl cut down in her prime, having lived a miserable life - and she could still write positive things in her diary - I am humbled by such brave people.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Well.. Nothing ever vanishes... everything destroyed is still here in one form or another... therefor when we die... the Energy that we posses within us does leave our bodies be it spirit or not.. the energy does go somewhere .. where I don't know.. ...We will all have to wait and See..

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Yeah,....never thought about it that way.......you are right.....bye.....

Just joking....still here.....enjoying the crap of life.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
False assumptions will almost assuredly lead to false conclusions.

There are many things we don't know. There are many things we likely can't know. Are your conclusions false? I don't know.

When faced with two alternatives resulting in two unknowable outcomes, isn't it more rational to go with the one that maximizes the most likely positive outcome? Assuming some enjoyment and fascination and experience in general is preferable to nothingness, that is. Enjoy it while you're here, it's all over quicker than you think.

There's a book you should really consider reading, Victor Frankl's, "Man's Search for Meaning".

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by TaraLou

To me, the Diary of Anne Frank is like a heartwarming cup of tea in the rainy days. It's interesting to know that you also like the book
thanks. Blessings and Regards.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Nothingness=True peace

My god, I've always dreamt of a universe of nothing. This is why I believe in destruction because it's the very meaning of peace which is nothing.

In my eyes suicide is 100% ok as long as you support nothingness. Why feel anything when you don't have to? To exist means to suffer one way or another during your life. Why keep up this pointless learning cycle of life when it all ends up the same.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by paranoiaFTW

Because I'm looking forward to having a nice dinner for my birthday on Saturday.

Sorry if that's not as deep a response as you were hoping for, but really? That's all the reason I need. I'm enjoying my life, even if I know it's nothing but a process by which my organs are squeezing hormones out of my brain and glands.

Doesn't lessen the enjoyment.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperSlovak

What about the constant pain that somebody who wants to end it has to deal with daily? even with help from others, there is just too much pain for that person to handle?

Can you really say that person is not thinking about anybody else but himself because he can't handle life anymore? what if it hurts them to see there friends and family watching him going through this and not being able to do anything about it?
Should that person just exist in misery while those around them watch them deteriorate and become almost unrecognizable? this is pain on both sides that nobody wants to experience!

I just don't agree that it's sellfish! I really don't think that a person who kills themselves is only thinking about themselves, I think they are well aware of the pain and mess it will cause, and deffinately do not take the decision lightly!

It is a touchy subject! but I just don't like seeing those same old words thrown in all the time, there just does'nt seem much thought gone into those type of response's imo!

There are ofcourse various reasons why someone might want to end there life, and it's scary, nobody wants to lose someone close! but is it right to keep them here just because it's easier on you? who is the sellfish one there? I don't think it is, and I believe everyone should have the right to a choice!

just to add....

This was not a post entirely aimed at you slovak, it's just that your post made me think

[edit on 19-1-2010 by valiant]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   

That is the question I have asked myself. I do not want to kill myself, but I have wondered, why don't we just all kill ourself? Our entire life is based around trying to an endorphin to be released in your brain. But if you kill yourself, you won't need those anymore. You will feel no pain or happiness. You will just cease to exist. There will be no consequences, your family and friends might feel pain, but you won't be aware of it. So if you kill yourself, aren't you just freeing yourself from the endless pursuit of endorphins?

It is a matter of belief. Mine is that there is existence after physical death. I have my own reasons for believing this... some have to do with faith but many of them do not.

I think our lives here are a part of a growing process for our souls... our individual personalities or 'selves'. We are loaded into the biologic machines similarly to how an OS is loaded into a computer. We then inhabit the human body for however-many years we live and along the way, grow and mature as sentient beings.

We are torn in our duality because the spirit does not respect the limited, mortal nature of the physical and by emotions, driven to do so many things that often leave us bruised and battered both without and within.

To be human is not only to simply err, but to hurt and cause hurt in others. Like spawning salmon, we swim against the tides of life in search of love and success and a reason to make this physical existence something more than it is. But then, if we begin to fade in that race, if we fail in those things we hold to be so important, we will sometimes simply surrender.

What exactly awaits us after physical death? Is it any different depending on how one dies? Your guess is as good as mine but... I tend to think that may be a bit like quitting school before you graduate. You'll eventually have to go back and finish it or... settle for a job flipping burgers at some kind of ethereal McDonald's.

best

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
There are many documented instances of paranormal activity in places where people commited suicide. Of course people choose to believe or not. To me this is like thinking if I close my eyes and touch the hot stove, maybe it won't burn me, but of course it does.
Many people say that a spirit of a person might get trapped in limbo after that person killed themself and is stuck there until some unknown future date. If it really is true, I would definitely not wan't to find out the hard way. I would recommend hanging on and seeing what the future might bring wether it is good or bad, It must be better than suicide.

[edit on 19-1-2010 by antideceit]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   

I'm actually a little surprised ATS is allowing this post to be out there but I do give this site props for not shutting it down.

I agree with others here who more or less replied that life on this planet is a journey, so live it. If you truly believe that there is no life of any kind after death, more power to you. I don't agree with that point of view but we are free to believe in whatever we want to believe in. Look at it this way, every day that you are alive you are one day closer to death. Sooner or later, death will happen, why rush it? If you are in a rush, no one is stopping you other than yourself. You will not be the first or last to make that choice and you will become just another statistic. To sum it up, life is short, enjoy the hell out of it!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by paranoiaFTW So if you kill yourself, aren't you just freeing yourself from the endless pursuit of endorphins?

You don't have to be dead to free yourself from persuit of endorphins.

This might be loosely related to the Buddhist goal of relinquishing desire.

Attempt to remove all desire from your mind.
Practice being 'empty'.

I recommend you try this route before disabling your biological suit's operational functions.

You don't have any proof that your consciousness (from your point of view) ..ceases being aware when your body ceases operation.

Also, you don't have any proof that your actions as a packet of behavioral tendencies here on earth...ISN'T or HASN'T being RECORDED on a giant quantum diamond computer in the moon....

to be reviewed at a later date...

-

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Honestly, we don't decide on how long our lives last. Our life is borrowed time, killing ourselves is like spitting in the face of our creator. Let nature figure out when our time is up.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Ive asked myself the same question of why not end it all right now right here? I came up with the simple answer in the form of situational irony "Maybe the reason to live is to get to the end and to gain something from that life, whatever it may be, reason or no reason for life." I keep myself going by thinking there has to be a reason, because without the reason the end isn't important....if that makes sense to you all..

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by SneuxCorten

I agree about reason, but you also have to think about our morals. Anyone who has no reason or morals are more likely to take their own life, because they are confused, and afraid of reality.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
By all means lets not all give the OP a bad argument, someone might just get the idea to off themselves

In all seriousness, anyone with the right frame of mind (sane) and with a healthy enough emotional balance, is going to have a hard time competing with our bodies; you know those biological machines that are pretty much in anti-death mode all the time. Persuasion might help, but its hard to persuade an instinct rooted in us from over hundreds of thousands of years.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by juveous

If I could award a prize, I'd award it to you

Yes, the bodies which fight to the last gasp, grasp at any straw, step on the bodies of others in order to gain an extra second

What a joke, to put human consciousness into street-fighter, material bodies

'Life', the ultimate game. Tells us a lot about whatever wrote the programme

Mind screaming for escape, oblivion -- with the body snarling 'Shaddup' as it bites the head off a sewer rat while humming, ' I Will Survive'

What impresses me is despite all that, so many people succeed in getting themselves off this thing, kicking free. I admire their independence and FU attitude, especially those who wade out into the sea as their escape mode. How truly difficult would that be --- drowning a body that will fight like a tiger for one more intake of breath ?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Why should you not kill yourself?

So you can experience everything that this world has to offer.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by FeralMonkeyMagic

Thing is, those who kill themselves or who consider it

--- do not LIKE what the world has to offer

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Anyone who wants to kill themselves, be my guest.
If you are miserable but religious and think you will be condemned to eternal damnation, I guess you will just have to tough it out

If you believe you will be going to a better place, as a free floating spirit somewhere, you know where the door is.
Or you might be one of the millions out there who, to be honest, aren't sure.
What if there IS no afterlife, nada, nichts, zilch, nothing. What if death is just an everlasting nothingness?
If you are so unhappy on earth that you wish to hurry your departure into either damnation, floaty spiritual stuff or nothingness, I am sorry for you.
Maybe before exiting, you could swap places with a Haiti survivor who might be rather glad of your meaningless existence.
Please shut the door on the way out.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join