It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why not kill yourself?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg
reply to post by halfoldman

What was life like for you, before you were born?

That is what life is like for you, after you die.

I believe I had glimpses and wierd influences of former lives, but that's not the focus here.
I don't remember being born at all, but that does not mean I didn't exist.
What you're saying is death is like a black memory lapse or like being knocked out from an operation?
So our future "nothingness" is like how our current mind constructs black-outs? That brings all kinds of theoretical problems too, because we can only compare them to alert awareness.
None-awareness beyond our notation of it is still something. After all, sleep might be the same, yet we wake up from it.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
As a husband of a vicar/priest i know that there is an afterlife, however from someone that suffers from depression due to a stroke a few years ago, then puts up with cancer for two years before God healed me, then two weeks later my wife wants a seperation and next friday after 29 yrs of marriage, i move into a flat and have to start life from scratch at 58 yrs old. No money, nothing. I do mean start from scratch...
I must admit that i have thought about driving into a bridge on the motorway more than once.
However i hang on to the belief that i still have a purpose here on earth and God will lead me to a more fruitfull life ministering to others less fortunate than myself.
I believe that no matter how hard life may seem, we all have a purpose here and we have to live out our lives to fulfill that purpose.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
In reply to the OP:

Because we are GOD experiencing experiences in order to know all.

Besides, I can not self terminate and it is not in our nature to destroy ourselves.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jon1

Of course you still have a purpose.

Live in the moment of each day only if it is small steps.

Make a small list each day of things you need and want to accomplish, take focus on each one as you complete them.

In those moments that is your purpose in life.

While you read this post that is your purpose in life.

One person or event does not define us, or even all past events.

What defines who your are is the now.

Peace.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by paranoiaFTW

Yes, if your premise is correct one wouldn't feel pain. However, I believe it is selfish and believe one should think about those that are left behind as they will feel pain. (However, I do feel those who are terminally ill should have the right to terminate their life.)

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
A suicidal predilection should not be favored by natural selection. That makes sense, right? So that is the obvious answer to the original question.

You will just cease to exist. There will be no consequences

You can view our minds as a meaningless illusion, resultant from the physiology of our brains, a series of chemically induced drives, or as a prison from which we cannot meaningfully escape, but without these perceptions and driving systems the world would have no meaning at all. The consequence of death is that the universe ceases to exist.

Is life pointless, or is it the only thing that keeps the universe from being pointless?

[edit on 13-12-2009 by Tearman]

[edit on 13-12-2009 by Tearman]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
why not live out life experiences that you could never get if you ceased to exist

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I have been wondering the same for years.
My life's s***, and for the last 25 years I have been waiting for the reason why I am here. I haven't lose the hope of discover that reason someday, even when I have been in the border of killing myself so many times.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by paranoiaFTW
NOTE: This argument will assume that there is no after life, I do not know if there is or isn't, but I am going to assume there isn't.

That is the question I have asked myself. I do not want to kill myself, but I have wondered, why don't we just all kill ourself? Our entire life is based around trying to an endorphin to be released in your brain. But if you kill yourself, you won't need those anymore. You will feel no pain or happiness. You will just cease to exist. There will be no consequences, your family and friends might feel pain, but you won't be aware of it. So if you kill yourself, aren't you just freeing yourself from the endless pursuit of endorphins?

Why not? Well, it's not about the after-life, it's about the present-life. I feel I have a purpose to serve and after that purpose then death shall come naturally. No need to be early for that.

I feel as though you have made life into a selfish thing by stating that it's all about our own endorphins. I would love to think that there are just as many like-minded individuals out there that pursue the release of endorphins in OTHER people, not themselves. I'm not here to free myself, I'm here to help others free themselves....It's not about my pain...it's about YOURS friend...

Respectfully
A2D

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   

you sir are clearly not thinking about others, only about yourself. if you end your pain then those close to you will be left to clean up the mess, and pay for it, which is not cheap by the way.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 03:08 AM
link   
[edit on 15-12-2009 by greenelectrictrain]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   
[edit on 15-12-2009 by greenelectrictrain]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Humans are the only animals that kill themselves.

I think this is because we think too much. Other animals live by instinct, and we should as well, but we are brainwashed by a zillion things.

If someone is terminally ill, and/or in great pain, then at least give them that option.

Otherwise, it is copping out of the game - and it is definitely a game.

Unless we stay as long as we are allowed, we won't know who wins.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I beg to differ. I believe in rebirth. In my view, suffering exits because of the past or present karmic debts needed to be paid off. If suppose I take my own life today while I haven't finished yet 'the job' I have to accomplish according to my destiny living on this Earth, I believe still I would have to pay off my debts in my next cycle of incarnation. People struggle to live his life to its fullest, not to commit suicide. That is, the purpose of the Divine arrangement. Against our will we are born. Against our will do we live. Against our will we will die. Blessings and Regards.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by greenelectrictrain

Seems to me that everything is against us so let's have some fun while we are here and not worry about things that are beyond our imagining.

I don't think we are meant to live here dwelling on doom and gloom - I think we are supposed to enjoy ourselves.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by TaraLou

Yea, you are right, my friend. Let's have some fun with the life today. Counting the blessings more than complaining about the sorrows. "Don't think of all the misery, but of all the beauty that still remains" (anne frank). And above all, laugh at ourselves louder than those people who laugh at us. Lol. Blessing and Regards.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   

NOTE: This argument will assume that there is no after life, I do not know if there is or isn't, but I am going to assume there isn't.

My default position on this is also that there is no life after death and all that there is, is oblivion but it is not so black and white because having had a near death experience I find the concept or possibility of life after death more confusing. What I perceived was a bottomless abyss, a beautiful thing I did not want to leave that lay just below the earth and hidden by a “veil”.

That is the question I have asked myself. I do not want to kill myself, but I have wondered, why don't we just all kill ourself?

I do not wish to kill myself because there are still things here I need to do things that are unfinished and because I would like to look into the face of my first grandchild. Also I am aware of a responsibility to daughters in that I have helped bring them to this world then I have a duty to stay with them and see to it that they grow up and realise their full potential.

If I drop out now and leave, I disrespect them and gift them with savage grief, something I would not wish upon anyone let alone those I love - A velvet trap of sorts.

Our entire life is based around trying to an endorphin to be released in your brain.

I disagree with this, I am here to realise my full potential and leave this world with the truth known and accepted. I do not really enjoy being here but I am here now and I have no choice but to make the best of a bad situation. I am aware that there is so much pain and crime here but there is nothing at all I can do about it and all I can really do is maintain a close watch over those I love.

My life is based on keeping my loved ones safe from harm and secondly on finding the truth behind the lie that is perpetrated on all of us. If endorphins are part of the key to finding the truth then this is a means to an end not the end or destination in itself as far as I am concerned.

But if you kill yourself, you won't need those anymore. You will feel no pain or happiness. You will just cease to exist. There will be no consequences, your family and friends might feel pain, but you won't be aware of it. So if you kill yourself, aren't you just freeing yourself from the endless pursuit of endorphins?

During my darker years having gone through things I still grimace at today this thought has crossed my mind to the extent that I did suck on the muzzle of an SA80 with my finger taking up the second pressure on the trigger. In moments like that you really think about the finality of such a final act and many things cross through the mind. Wasted hopes, indecisions in that to end the life will mean probably never discovering the truth I have been searching for since childhood.

I never worried about going to hell or facing god as I rejected my catholic upbringing and became an atheist very early in childhood and I had always imagined that had I come face to face with Satan upon my ending of life I would “clean his clock” for him or burn trying because I do not scare easily and I reject intimidation. It was an abstract thought as having had a near death experience the last thing I imagined that on the other side was some sad sack of a demon waving a pitchfork and leading me to a lake of fire.

I have lost friends to suicide, either from blowing brains out in an army armoury, to hanging and overdosing on filth. I have a very keen understanding of what it is to self terminate but sometimes the painful realities of life are not welcome to some because many feel the weight of life much more than others or have been overloaded with bad experiences and lost all hope or a will to continue on the journey that this life is.
In my old age I will have no problems with self terminating if the time comes that I need to ask someone much younger than me to wipe my backside because I am no longer able to do so myself.

I will never be a burdon to anyone.

I have no problems with that choice and if anyone thinks that is wrong I say look to your own life and leave me to make decisions regarding my own and how I might choose to check out because cowardice or lack of consideration has nothing to do with such a decision. However the ignorant knee jerk reactions from the swiftly judgemental tend to come to that conclusion – let strangers conclude whatever they wish I say because strangers do not influence much in life and will certainly not influence anything in death.

Honest answers to an interesting thread.

[edit on 15-12-2009 by SmokeJaguar67]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   
lol, all you people wanting proof.
look up prophecy, and please, someone debunk it.

all of u, un-believers to any type of after life. keep this in your mind in the coming years...

prophecydepot.blogspot.com...

(in simple terms, ezekiel 38/39 shows a Russian backed Iran at war with Israel...)

when it happens half of you will attempt to "logically" call it a coincidence, sadly.

so much has happened recently that is proof enough for anyone.
it for real. accept it or continue to confuse yourselves.

[edit on 15-12-2009 by xhearte]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Your username kind of says it all ... my life is precious to me so thank-you but I'm gonna have to decline.

Woody

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

We believe in something higher than us and whats wrong with that. Most peopel understand aliens are out there, so who is to say that god is not too.

If you commit suicide your taking a chance, but i would not if i was you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join