It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why not kill yourself?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
NOTE: This argument will assume that there is no after life, I do not know if there is or isn't, but I am going to assume there isn't.

That is the question I have asked myself. I do not want to kill myself, but I have wondered, why don't we just all kill ourself? Our entire life is based around trying to an endorphin to be released in your brain. But if you kill yourself, you won't need those anymore. You will feel no pain or happiness. You will just cease to exist. There will be no consequences, your family and friends might feel pain, but you won't be aware of it. So if you kill yourself, aren't you just freeing yourself from the endless pursuit of endorphins?

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by paranoiaFTW

Not if you land in Hell!
And you will if you hate God and His Son, Jeshua(Jesus).....

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
How do you know that for sure?

Your making a lot of assumptions which can not be proven, so why worry about it.

Enjoy the now, be with the people you love and do your best, if there is an after you can look back and say well I did my best and lived each moment to the fullest.

People dwell in the past and worry about the future to much. It's ok to learn from the past and prepare for the future, but live in the now.

Think about it, when engaged in a conversation with someone, or trying to make contact how irritating is it when they are off thinking about something from the past or thinking about what they need to do later?

Now think about the people that actually pay attention to you and how good it feels to be in that moment.

Peace out.

Originally posted by paranoiaFTW
NOTE: This argument will assume that there is no after life, I do not know if there is or isn't, but I am going to assume there isn't.

That is the question I have asked myself. I do not want to kill myself, but I have wondered, why don't we just all kill ourself? Our entire life is based around trying to an endorphin to be released in your brain. But if you kill yourself, you won't need those anymore. You will feel no pain or happiness. You will just cease to exist. There will be no consequences, your family and friends might feel pain, but you won't be aware of it. So if you kill yourself, aren't you just freeing yourself from the endless pursuit of endorphins?

[edit on 13-12-2009 by Realtruth]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
because i sincerely enjoy life, and all its ups and downs.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Not wanting to kill myself has nothing to do with what may or may not come after death, or even worrying about the consequences of my death. I believe that the only purpose to my life is to live it as fully and wonderfully as I can. That means that I experience pain and ecstasy, love and heartbreak, the pleasure of sex and the pangs of hunger. There is no good or bad, it is all experience.

The one thing I do not want to do is to by lying on my deathbed wondering what my life might have been like if I had only.... you can fill in your own list here.

The reason to not kill yourself is simple, it will deprive you of the chance to experience this life, and if you are bored or feel trapped, then change it. The only thing you have that is yours are your choices. Why not choose to live? And having made that choice, then live to the fullest.

Join with me my friend and live a life that will make death balk at taking you when it is time to leave this place.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   

aren't you just freeing yourself from the endless pursuit of endorphins?

Yes.

But most people enjoy life. Therefore, there is no drive to end it.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

Well it's kind of like not a thought for me.

Or anyone else who has what I have, Knows what I know.

I won't go into that unless you ask.

I do have this from ground level.

I don't believe I would ever contemplate such a thing seriously.

Not for attention not for anything ever.

Simply because it is weak.

How many times has life taught you the easy way out, is never as easy as it appears to be.

A tip. This would be the worst way to learn that lesson.

Besides if you develop a good enough sense of humor that alone will get you through so much, and I'm talkin with a smile.

Choose life and it will choose you.

[edit on 13-12-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
because you may never have another life.. because life is short and you will still die soon anyways.. might as well live it out. plus you might be here for a reason and killing yourself seems a cowards way out from having to deal with all the endless bs that makes you a stronger person in the end. plus there are those greats ups when you do get the endorphins and fulfillment that you would have never got if you had already offed yourself. also, you can build a legacy and in a sense still live on even after you have died, still affecting the hearts of others because of your deeds. it might just be me but i want to go out knowing i had an impact on this world and be remembered in a positive light. doing myself in right now would not accomplish that.

but yeah fear of death and the unknowingness or their beliefs of what will happen after have large impacts on making people stay alive as long as they can.

[edit on 13-12-2009 by jpm06002]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Perhaps in Freudian terms my Thanados (death drive) has not sufficiently surpassed my "Eros" (love, pleasure drive).
I find the atheistic view of no afterlife even more frightening than many hells. What is "no afterlife", isn't it an ontological paradox even trying to describe a lack of existance?

[edit on 13-12-2009 by halfoldman]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

What was life like for you, before you were born?

That is what life is like for you, after you die.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   

freeing yourself from the endless pursuit of endorphins?

Mortality will take care of that eventually. No-one lives forever and, imo, it's a good thing or else we'd better speed up the hunt for more planets to live on.

On the subject of speeding the inevitable along, I think it's a betrayal to motherhood and all that it encompasses. Better to not have children at all than watch them destroy themselves.

By the way, the whole 'lemmings jumping off a cliff' is a myth. Never happened, so why should we do the same?

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
No-one lives forever and, imo, it's a good thing

You wouldn't want to live forever? I think staying young forever, never dieing due to old age, would be a great thing.

If there's too many of us, we simply stop reproducing, until a spot open up.

That would be a much better world, than what we have now.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg
You wouldn't want to live forever? I think staying young forever, never dieing due to old age, would be a great thing.

You mean a young body, but without the rash behaviour... ?

If there's too many of us, we simply stop reproducing, until a spot open up.

Oh, yes, I see. No children anymore. Yup, that would be good. Neutered cool cats getting to know everyone else totally. A life of luxury for all since our working days would never end. We could have robots clean the toilets.

That would be a much better world, than what we have now.

Maybe... or after 6000 years, we'd get so bored we'd do the lemming thing after all and that would be the end of us.

No... I don't think I want to live forever. Honestly. At least, not in this particular manifestation.

[edit on 13/12/09 by masqua]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   

The why of your question cannot be answered without getting rid of the assumption you have imposed. Somebody who does not believe in an afterlife, has no valid reason for telling you not to kill yourself. They may tell you "It is selfish" but how does that matter is you cease to exist. They may say "Life is to be enjoyed" but it is clear that you are not enjoying yourself if you want to end your life. So if you are not enjoying yourself, then doesn't that mean you should kill yourself? Others say, "Live it for experiences or make your own meaning" but this does not actually impart real meaning, it is self-deception.

The life of somebody who does not believe in an afterlife has no meaning at all. They fabricate their meanings and morals for their conveniance and therefore they have the right to choose to live or die. In the end it does not matter whether they make that choice or not., as death is the inevitable outcome anyway.

On the other hand, as soon as you factor in the afterlife a reason for not killing yourself becomes real. That is, if the reason for killing yourself is still present even after you go through with the act or worse is exaggerated, then your act was a pointless and foolish one which will have caused you more harm in the end.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Sure, we could all off ourselves an stop all the 'pain' we may feel.. But why? I don't see the point. The pain is what makes us human and defines us.. helps us to grow. We have perhaps 75 to 120 years on this earth to try and do something that will be lasting and make us happy - To me it make more since to take that time and see what you can do with it because the end will come soon enough.

[edit on 13-12-2009 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Have you read the book "life After Life" ? Its written by a doctor who writes down peoples near death experiences. In 99.99% of the cases people see the white light and a religious figure and relatives waiting for them. In only one case he writes about a person commiting suicide and this person went to a pitch black dark place and their was dogs all around this person tearing off the skin and this went on for what seemed like 24 hrs. Of course the person was in agony the whole time and at the end of 24 hrs it all stopped then for a split second all the skin snapped back onto the persons bones and the person felt relief. Then the dogs started attacking again..this went on until the person was revived at the hospital..

So OP, do you really want to go through something like that????

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
You mean a young body, but without the rash behaviour... ?

Yes. No more old age.

Oh, yes, I see. No children anymore. Yup, that would be good. Neutered cool cats getting to know everyone else totally. A life of luxury for all since our working days would never end. We could have robots clean the toilets.

Haha, not sure why your mind goes directly to neutered cats.. I like my sexual organs enough to not cut them off. But I also don't want kids, so I use said organs responsibly. If over-population is a concern, all the more reason to be responsible about reproduction. That would be a responsibility everyone has, not just you or me.

Maybe... or after 6000 years, we'd get so bored we'd do the lemming thing after all and that would be the end of us.

No... I don't think I want to live forever. Honestly. At least, not in this particular manifestation.

[edit on 13/12/09 by masqua]

Well, it's up to the individual to live life for the only reason there is to be alive -- to enjoy oneself.

If you're living for any other reason, you're doing it wrong.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
We have perhaps 75 to 120 years on this earth to try and do something that will be lasting and make us happy[edit on 13-12-2009 by JohnPhoenix]

You don't have to do anything that will be "lasting." The whole idea of legacy is as ridiculous as an afterlife. When you're dead, your legacy wont matter a bit, to you. So building a legacy, for yourself, is paradoxical. Makes absolutely no sense.

You should do whatever makes you happy, now. There's no sense in being a slave to someone, or some institution, in the hopes that once half your life is over, you'll finally be "happy" or "fulfilled."

Use your common sense when dealing with matters as important as "what am I going to do with my VERY limited life-span?" And don't think for a minute that when you die, life goes on. It doesn't! It stops when your body ceases to function and falls apart.

So live it up, while you can. There's literally no other reason to be alive. You either serve yourself, or serve someone else. I'm happy if you do either, but if you chose the latter, know that you're wasting a very unique gift.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Assuming that there is no afterlife...

I would never kill myself. I would would rather feel the pain, suffering, joy, ecstasy or any other emotion than nothing at all.

While your conscious experience may end... your legacy and memory in the mind of others will not. What legacy would you want to leave behind? Taking the ultimate easy way out, or helping enrich the lives of others?

Whether you believe in life after death or not, life is a gift, an opportunity for you to help make this world a better place. I would rather die knowing I had helped contribute, and that the lives of others have been enriched, rather than die with the thought that my life is meaningless.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
There is a fair amount of evidence out there that such a condition as a ghost does exist. There is also evidence out there that reincarnation exists. So if you are open to that level of understanding then nothingness is not likely a result of death under any circumstances. Now you feel pain when you loose something or something you're attached to is taken away. How much more pain when everything is taken away in a heartbeat?

What if your golden opportunity is in having the rare chance to be in the human form? What will be the result of choosing to reject this opportunity? When will you get such an opportunity again? No if someone chooses to whine this, that or the other thing about humans or human birth what difference does that make if this is your golden opportunity? It amounts to nothing more than loosing out of selfishness and ignorance.

If spirits, on occasion, leave their early life but remain as ghosts then there must by some reasons behind this? Clearly to be a ghost requires energy to inhabit this plane. That indicates that your early physical life was also facilitated by that reservoir of energy. Well, if that reservoir was sufficient to support a lifetime in a bulk human form then how much longer would it support a subtle body only?

No evidence indicates that ghosts lament and perpetuate the same desires over and over. It appears and seems reasonable that those are the desires that where prevalent at the time of death. Do you really want to be stuck in that condition regretting for n times longer than a physical life time?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join