It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The strange consensus on Obama's Nobel address

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

The strange consensus on Obama's Nobel address

www.salon.com

About that matter, there are two arguably confounding facts to note: (1) the vast majority of leading conservatives -- from Karl Rove and Newt Gingrich to Peggy Noonan, Sarah Palin, various Kagans and other assorted neocons -- have heaped enthusiastic praise on what Obama said yesterday, i.e., on the Obama Doctrine; and (2) numerous liberals have done exactly the same.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 12/13/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Maybe this man is a Uniter after all?

Seriously, I voted for him, and still support him. It's good to know that many of the other people I have disagreed with are now also agreeing with him, if only on these points.

What do you folks think? Is this an aberration or the beginning of a centrist culture?

www.salon.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Bullcrap... They are all happy because they get to keep their trillion dollar killing and destroying nation building war machines running for a long time to come.

A lot of important elites should be happy and have consensus on this issue.

From your source article...

(1) it was the most explicitly pro-war speech ever delivered by anyone while accepting the Nobel Peace Prize; and (2) it was the most comprehensive expression of Obama's foreign policy principles since he became President.

Go Obama.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Agreeing with him? What will it take for you to understand the FACT that Obama works for his corporate bosses and NOT FOR YOU? He is following the playbook, and has been since the day he took office. Nothing has or will change.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
He's for killing people and using violence to get his way.

And that earned him a peace prize?

/loses a little bit more faith in the human race.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Escalating war while the debt explodes as we move head on into far worse times.

Yeah...he deserves praise!!

The man has blood on his hands. He's also played more rounds of golf than Bush did in his FIRST THREE YEARS IN OFFICE.

Yes...he deserves praise!!!

The great uniter.

Give me a break Hunka. You're still one of the blinded. Maybe one day you'll see it.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Sorry you came to wrong website, here the majority are conservatives.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
To put it crudely, Obama is a corporate pimp, whoring out the American public to Wall Street.

Today's war isn't a war on dictators or a war on ideologies. It's a corporate war, soldiers that are bought and paid for to turn a profit. It's geo-politics filtered through neo-conservatism, but now that people have spoken out against it they've dressed it up a bit, hiding it behind a veil of a more 'socially minded' leader.

He's giving the appearance of cleaning up their messes, when in reality he's just making excuses to continue on their same path.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

I'm not a conservative. I'm a Constitutionalist and I supported Obama fervently here and elsewhere during the campaign. It was during the end of the campaign, however, that I changed my mind about him. He voted for TARP and he voted to extend the FISA amendments. His choice of running mate pissed me off too, Joe Biden was one of the architects of the USA PATRIOT Act, a policy Obama now supports after speaking out against it during the campaign. He spoke of the Constitution, respecting individual rights, and the right of Habeas Corpus. All of that has been abandoned, only I took my warning early. He filled his entire administration with Goldmanites and revolving door Wall St. bigwigs like Larry effing Summers. He called for a preventive detention policy that Rachel Maddow, an ardent Liberal, went out of her way to criticize(Which made me very happy).

Obama went to the supreme court and had them over turn Michigan v. Jackson(Look it up it matters to you and I), and so far has broken little with the previous administration. An Administration that I had nothing but utter disdain for.

No, we are not all republicans and we are not all Conservatives. The Constitution is not subject to ideology. IT IS LAW. The Supreme Law of the Land, and all who swear to it must defend it and follow it. The Constitution is not idealism, again, it is the LAW. Thus far, the president does not seems interested in upholding the Constitution. Evidence of that is his Bravo Sierra excuse for not prosecuting Bush to the fullest. ("Looking forward, not backward"), yeah, add that to your list of obvious messages that he'
s just another damned puppet. I will leave you with this from a recent thread I authored:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

In the last 8 years specifically, that dream has become a nightmare for me. November of 2008 Americans, myself included, ate Hope for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and for the first time in the 21 years I've been in the US I watched Americans really care about their future, and the future of the nation. Obama was charged as the caretaker of that future by many who laid their hopes of a more peaceful and prosperous nation at his feet. He firmly stepped on that hope, and people don't seem to understand that a lot gets done in a short amount of time in Washington. The idea that he hasn't been there long enough to have had any effect is absurd. How many of you know why Obama had Michigan v. Jackson overturned by the Supreme Court? I'll leave that to the reader to search for the answers. This isn't about party affiliation to me, this is about those who love and want to serve America, and those who wish to reap the benefits off the blood, sweat, and tears of Americans. Corruption knows no party line, and no smile can be big enough, and no promise can be sweet enough to dull the pain I feel for the US today as a result of what I have witnessed happening to my beloved nation over the 2 decades I have been here.

[edit on 13-12-2009 by projectvxn]

[edit on 13-12-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
The people who support obama have what I like to call a "PAPER ASS" how else could they change their ideals with the wind. He has broken so many promises you would think they would wake up but no they defend him no matter what. I am waiting for the day when he starts eating kittens
and you all say well they are tasty.

I wish the liberal shills would wake up and smell the coffee before it is to late. What happens in the future when maybe you do disagree with the movement do you think they will be alright with that? Or do you think you will be in the very boat you helped make. And before you go saying well this poster is just a conservative bush lover you could not be more wrong I hate him just the same. In my eyes they are the same the elite just gave themselves a new look they could use to their advantage more.

And I hate to say it but anyone who does not see the simple truth has got to be either a payed shill for the adminstration or a facist at heart why else would you be alright with them clearly trying to take away rights. And if you dont think they are doing these bad things it is only a google search away look it up.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth

I wish the liberal shills would wake up and smell the coffee before it is to late. What happens in the future when maybe you do disagree with the movement do you think they will be alright with that?

The thing is, I don't care what a movement thinks of what I think. I'm an independent, and I happen to continue to support Obama.

What, would you wish I thought like you? Would that be better?

And even though you condemn the thoughts of others under the guise of concern that they condemn yours, you fail to see, the consensus that this President is building. Did you see what folks like Gingrich had said?

I thought the speech was actually very good. And he clearly understood that he had been given the prize prematurely, but he used it as an occasion to remind people, first of all, as he said: that there is evil in the world. I think having a liberal president who goes to Oslo on behalf of a peace prize and reminds the committee that they would not be free, they wouldn't be able to have a peace prize, without having force... I thought in some ways it's a very historic speech.

Palin, Rove, etc... And yet where I see consensus, many on this thread sees conspiracy. I guess Shamabala is right.. you either see a rising sun or a setting sun.

I choose my reality, and choose to see the rising sun.

[edit on 14-12-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   

So, it doesn't bother you that NEOCONS are agreeing with the president? Could those rumors be true that he is no different than Bush?

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

So, it doesn't bother you that NEOCONS are agreeing with the president? Could those rumors be true that he is no different than Bush?

It does not bother me that two different groups of people who typically disagree are agreeing on something... no... when that happens, whether in politics or in my own back yard, I feel hope for the human race.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
The man accepts a peace prize while shamelessly escalating and perpetuating fraudulent wars. Plain and simple, these wars are about class warfare. They make the rich richer and the poor poorer, while eliminating the middle class all together by kicking them all down into the poor house.

Maybe one day a real leader with an actual backbone will come along and set things in the right direction. Hopefully, the entire ship and its occupants won't be at the bottom of the ocean prior to this occurring.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Dont even bother arguing with him. If he doesnt realize that the neocons are inherently a human evil, and that obama doing the opposite of everything he promised he would do prior to election (hold banks accountable, reduce war, stop torture and rendition, close guantanamo) is not indicative of the fact he has been completely fleeced, he wouldnt know truth if it smacked him across the face. Let others live in their fantasy world. Dont drag him into our hell of the real if he'd rather be safe and comfy with his delusions.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

Agreeing with him? What will it take for you to understand the FACT that Obama works for his corporate bosses and NOT FOR YOU? He is following the playbook, and has been since the day he took office. Nothing has or will change.

I agree, I can only think that OBAMA's 'CHANGE' campaign was in reference to the change in presidency, not what he intended to carry out whilst as a president.

It's almost funny but, actually so totally not. I see an upward change in troop deployments certainly, not to mention OBAMA has the most pro federal globalist CFR backed cabinet - which was what the likes of Prescott bush wanted. . Well that's definitely change.

Change in the direction of fascism? I'm still beyond words that a US president directly involved in a war could possibly be awarded the nobel peace prize - if I had worked in peace for one and I saw this, it'd be a worthless insult to what peace is.

Peace is exactly what it says on the tin, IMO. Not a justification. If you need to justify why you deserve a peace prize, perhaps you just don't deserve the thing.

Abductee

[edit on 14-12-2009 by UFOabducteebe]

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   

I was talking to a friend earlier today who works for the State Dept. He's non-partisan. He's someone who goes on trips to places like Afghanistan and Iraq to study and gauge the situation and report back his finding. He's was among the many within government dissenting on a troop surge to Afghanistan on the grounds that IT WILL BANKRUPT US.

It bothered him deeply that Obama and the Neocons seemed to have found common ground. If this is the case, then we're in trouble. Because the Neocons have a specific agenda, and the Constitution, you and I, are not part of that agenda. It should bother you. As these were the people that helped shape Bush policy for 8 straight years. hunka, you need to put a little more thought into this, or you will be among the many that get blindsided.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Originally posted by Subjective Truth

I wish the liberal shills would wake up and smell the coffee before it is to late. What happens in the future when maybe you do disagree with the movement do you think they will be alright with that?

The thing is, I don't care what a movement thinks of what I think. I'm an independent, and I happen to continue to support Obama.

What, would you wish I thought like you? Would that be better?

And even though you condemn the thoughts of others under the guise of concern that they condemn yours, you fail to see, the consensus that this President is building. Did you see what folks like Gingrich had said?

I thought the speech was actually very good. And he clearly understood that he had been given the prize prematurely, but he used it as an occasion to remind people, first of all, as he said: that there is evil in the world. I think having a liberal president who goes to Oslo on behalf of a peace prize and reminds the committee that they would not be free, they wouldn't be able to have a peace prize, without having force... I thought in some ways it's a very historic speech.

Palin, Rove, etc... And yet where I see consensus, many on this thread sees conspiracy. I guess Shamabala is right.. you either see a rising sun or a setting sun.

I choose my reality, and choose to see the rising sun.

[edit on 14-12-2009 by HunkaHunka]

I too, support Obama, whether there is a conspiracy behind him or not, I am not sure, but if there is, I guess I'm one of the unlucky ones who fell for it.
Democrat at heart, that's just my view, no need to castigate me for it

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by December_Rain

Sorry you came to wrong website, here the majority are conservatives.

Here's something you should know:

There are a WHOLE BUNCH of us on here that are not conservative, voted FOR Obama, but have simply been dissatisfied with what he has (and notably has not) delivered since he took office a year ago.

To label everyone that disagrees with Obama as a conservative is wrong and should be discouraged in order to keep a lively conversation with multiple viewpoints without the fear of being labeled something we may or may not be.

Back to the thread --

Of course they were all cheering. Republicans love war -- and his speech was VERY war-heavy.

Deomocrats are just happy he won such a prestigious award. (At least it was -- not the point).

So, he made everybody happy. Won an award for his declarations of spreading peace, while at the same time furthering our current war initiatives and pushing ahead with even more troops.

He's a gifted speaker. Unfortunately, aside from rhetoric, the partisanship in Washington is as bad -- if not arguably worse -- than ever before.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

I agree with you that is why I said majority. I have a bad habit of going to person's profile and checking their past threads when they post on a subject to understand where they are coming from.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join