It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Earth's Atmosphere Came from Outer Space, Scientists Find"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
The Link

The gases which formed the Earth's atmosphere -- and probably its oceans -- did not come from inside the Earth but from outer space...

According to the team, the age-old view that volcanoes were the source of the Earth's earliest atmosphere must be put to rest.

"From that we now know that the volcanic gases could not have contributed in any significant way to the Earth's atmosphere.

"Therefore the atmosphere and oceans must have come from somewhere else, possibly from a late bombardment of gas and water rich materials similar to comets.

"Until now, no one has had instruments capable of looking for these subtle signatures in samples from inside the Earth -- but now we can do exactly that."

An interesting discovery. I wonder what implications this will have on prevalent theories of earth science?

They do say in the article that the notion that volcanoes 'spewing gasses' did not create the atmosphere after all.

Not that I am a huge fan or supporter of Sitchen's work but he did say that according to Sumerian texts:

Sumerian texts dealing with Nibiru explicitly state that during the collision, the life-bearing Nibiru transferred the “seed of life” - what we now call DNA and the “chemicals of life”
Link

This notion is supported by many other sources as well:

Earth, four billion years ago, was a lifeless, hot and violent place. Not exactly a world where you'd expect life to form. But this was the scene where the first life-forming amino acids appeared. And how did this happen? According to new research, a lump of rock floating though space may have been irradiated by neutron star emissions, chemically altering amino acids hitching a ride on it. This rock then impacted the Earth and injected these altered chemicals into the desert wastes, possibly seeding the beginning of life on our planet… and this life was left-handed…
Link

A new study finds that a pair of chemical building blocks similar to those in genetic material was present in a meteorite before it fell to Earth in the 1960s. Researchers say the finding makes it slightly more plausible that meteorite bombardments may have seeded ancient Earth with life's raw materials, potentially paving the way for life itself.
Link

Life on Earth may have started with the help of tiny hollow spheres that formed in the cold depths of space, a new study suggests. The analysis of carbon bubbles found in a meteorite shows they are not Earth contaminants and must have formed in temperatures near absolute zero.

The bubbles, called globules, were discovered in 2002 in pieces of a meteorite that had landed on the frozen surface of Tagish Lake in British Columbia, Canada, in 2000
Link

It opens up a lot of avenues of thought concerning the origins of life (of course), religious and spiritual beliefs (I mean if we are essentially extra-terrestrial what does that say about the fundamentals of our religions?), the basic theories we have regarding earth systems and processes, and of course the potential for such life to have developed on other planets / celestial bodies.

A rather cool line of though all together. Enjoy

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Those silly scientists, now they are finally beginning to get somewhere.

Once they toss those lab coats and square boxes, it will really start opening up for them.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
"Earth's Atmosphere Came from Outer Space, Scientists Find"

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Earth located in space?
We get bombarded daily with space debris.

We are part of outer space.

[edit on 13-12-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
i was just about to say what slayer said hahaha. of course it is from outer space or otherwise earth would till be molten hot rock and noone on it. the space debris that hits earth is always bringing new chemicals and elements to earth which made it what is it today...unless you believe god put us all here and thats the way it

top topics

join