It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Built in webcams

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by fumanchu

That's not entirely true
If someone had access to your computer via, say, SSH or telnet, it would be possible to scan the PCI bus and get a list of the vendor/device IDs of every device attached via PCI. It's also possible to do the same for devices attached via USB. Once you have the list of vendor/device IDs, it's just a simple matter of searching the internet for the drivers that have the same vendor/device IDs. If you already have access to the machine, copying a file across (or starting the download remotely) is trivial. Once the file is on the target computer, simply installing the driver is all that's required to get the hardware functioning. Of course, the UI of most OSs will report that a new piece of hardware has started to work, so the user will most likely notice. Of course, after the driver is installed, some malicious software would have to be installed to take advantage of it.

But all of this is pointless, as the attacker would first need a method of getting in to your computer, which a decent firewall will stop. Of course, if you are tricked into running a trojan horse, you're beyond help, as you've essentially given the attacker all they need to compromise your box.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by davesidious

Telnet is disabled by default as of Vista and Windows 7 and IIRC since SP3 on XP, so it is useless as an attack vector and most end users wouldn't even know how to enable it again anyway (in order for it to be enabled it first needs to be installed as a service as it is not actually present on these systems now). Most of what you have said is in reality only possible if an attacker has physical access to a machine in which case no firewall is going to help protect you. Basically everything you just said is highly unlikely to actually happen in this reality.

Reminds me of the same crap people ranted on about if you connected a pre service pack 1 xp to the internet. The nonsense then was that it would take literally less than 30 seconds for the machine to be compromised. It was proven in theory, but the reality was far different. I left a machine on for nearly 3 months and nothing happened, nothing at all.

[edit on 14-12-2009 by fumanchu]

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
My new one has the webcam and mic too. Before I ever turned it on, I covered the cam and plugged and taped up the mic.
I also disabled them both, just in case.

I also noticed that the program that runs the fingerpad has a control called "mood". When you click on it it shows your fingerprints in rainbow colors as they move across the fingerpad. If I'd known about that, I would've worn gloves!

[edit on 14-12-2009 by serendipitynow]

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
just because the little blue light isnt on, does that mean no one is watching?
what do you think?

If you do not have tape over your camera you can be viewed over the internet at any time. And even if you are not connected to the internet, programs can be written to take screen shots though the camera and uploaded at a later time.

Bored people around the internet use IP sniffers to look for open ports on your computer. They open the program up and scan millions upon millions of IP a addresses. They narrow the search for ports usually used for webcams. If yours is open, you can guarentee someone is watching.

If you have nothing to hide it is no big deal. If you do have something to hide and you are walking around your room naked for some reason, you might want to stick some tape over that cam...

Hope this helps.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I personally think there isn't to much to be worried about, though my solution was (when my mother was worried about it) was to take an index note card fold it in half and just lay it on top of the laptop where the web cam part is. That way it's completely blocked ( had to do a safety measure since she didn't believe me to much when I said it was turned off )

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join