It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Built in webcams

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
So i have a newer laptop, one with a built in mic and webcam.... its an hp, and is verry common. So whenever i take a new photo with facebook or use my webcam for skype the little blue light comes on to notify me that it is being used... but i got to thinking..

just because the little blue light isnt on, does that mean no one is watching?
what do you think?

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by hautmess
So i have a newer laptop, one with a built in mic and webcam.... its an hp, and is verry common. So whenever i take a new photo with facebook or use my webcam for skype the little blue light comes on to notify me that it is being used... but i got to thinking..

just because the little blue light isnt on, does that mean no one is watching?
what do you think?

I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you have something to hide . . .
Just in case be sure to flip off the camera now and then

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
There is really nothing you can do to prevent from being seen and heard if they want you to be seen and heard. doppler can easily see through walls. for example, my friend's G1(phone) has an app that you can literally watch your dot move as you walk across the house. and that's what we are ALLOWED to have. so, don't worry.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I can see you right now...

And it ain't pretty.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by '___'omino

I do have stuff to hide. That is my privacy. It's none of their business what I do in the privacy of my home.

Also on topic I put a little piece of black tape over the camera on my computer. But yes they can turn on your computer if they want too. There is all kinds of stuff they can do that you don't know about.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by hautmess

I honestly think you have nothing to worry about. I too have an HP laptop with a webcam/mic built in.

If you are worried about it though, there is a simple solution... When you are not using it, go to your control panel and click on the sound link ( Or mic link if there is one)... Turn off the sound for the mic...

Then put something over the camera... Maybe cut a small piece of thick fabric and tape it over the lens...Now they can't see or hear you...

That said, They are not watching you. The man power/ computer power it would take to spy on everybody with a webcam is just too much. Imagine all the people it would take to watch all these people all the time...

It just wont happen.

Again you have nothing to worry about, but if you do not trust me, then just turn off the mic and cover up the camera... Just that simple.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
And i must add that to turn the camera on without the light they're going to have to modify things in the registry or in the driver that makes the camera works so for that you don't have to worry a lot either...

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by hautmess

ALWAYS cover up the lens. I close friend of mine works at Cisco (computer security company) and he said that every single employee is REQUIRED to cover it up - they are even given a free little plastic cover than goes on everyone's laptops.

Anyone with basic knowledge of Linux can very easily hack your camera even when your laptop is OFF!!

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

I agree there's not the manpower to monitor everyone, and likely not the desire, but... with facial recognition software it would be SO easy for them to simply have one line in there "when a face is recognized, *click* and send" it's not difficult to do.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Do like I do. I got a small round black sticker over the webcam lens when I'm not using it. If you don't want to do that, then you can disable it in Device Manager when not using it.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Your webcam can be very vulnerable. If you download a trojan than somebody sends you then they can access your webcam at any time. Not sure if they could disable the light or not though, that might depend on the manufacture.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II
Do like I do. I got a small round black sticker over the webcam lens when I'm not using it. If you don't want to do that, then you can disable it in Device Manager when not using it.

This is response to you and a few others. Anyone with Linux/Unix, etc background can access and change things without your computer being on - I've seen it first hand.

Disabling things can help against created viruses for mass purposes but if a specific person targets ur IP the only way is to cover the lens and microphone.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
i'm more so worried about a future where they are finding any reason to put people in jail. i wouldnt be able to deny the fact that i've downloaded files for free if they can back reference and prove that i was at the computer giving it commands to do such a thing.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Yea, I have a built in webcam with a mic also and I got to worrying about that a few times. But then I thought, who cares if I am being watched? I have nothing to hide, and they can't do anything with that photo.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I wouldn't doubt if they could actually acess your mic or cam without it being on, but they would have no reason to if you're not on their watch list.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Wear an alien mask then look to your left and right constantly making clicking noises with your tongue. This will drive them mad and you'll have dark colored cars driving by your house within the hour.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by kenton1234
Wear an alien mask then look to your left and right constantly making clicking noises with your tongue. This will drive them mad and you'll have dark colored cars driving by your house within the hour.

Good stuff!!

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

That's not true. A computer has to be on for anyone to do anything with it. When it's off, it's just a bunch of wires, silicon, and metal.

As for a truly determined person being able to do anything via your IP? That's not true, either. A decent firewall will stop them. No computer is 100% secure, but you can make it so secure that to defeat the defences would cost millions of dollars/Euros/whatever.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thermo Klein
This is response to you and a few others. Anyone with Linux/Unix, etc background can access and change things without your computer being on - I've seen it first hand.

Disabling things can help against created viruses for mass purposes but if a specific person targets ur IP the only way is to cover the lens and microphone.

You give people far too much credit. Here is a very simple fact that even you can understand, a device cannot work without a device driver, remove the driver and you disable the device. Some geek sitting in their mother's basement is not going to be able to just hack into your pc and install a driver for your specific hardware device (which could be one of hundreds of unique devices that they would have absolutely no way of knowing), even if you posted your IP in a 96pt font flashing red and green on the front page of Google. I challenge anyone here to prove otherwise, just U2U me and I'll be more than happy to pass on my IP.

[edit on 13-12-2009 by fumanchu]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
It is a really simple matter to open up the thing and disconnect the camera and the mic.. then just add a cam and mic of your own like you would normally do so you know you can control what is being sent.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join