It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How come we refer to thoughts as something related to the hearing sense?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I was just thinking about thoughts further and i notice that when we talk about them its always in reference to sound.. "hearing" the thoughts or "listening" to your thoughts. its never seeing, or feeling, ect.. Even tho we can 'hear' them clearly... How can we hear sentences and voices in our heads without sound actually physically coming or going anywhere withing our hearing sense?? would that maybe tag the soul as having a sense of hearing? what do you think?

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Memories and fantasies are ALSO thoughts but use our visual senses (as well as olfactory) so thoughts are not strictly auditory...

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeyDawn
Memories and fantasies are ALSO thoughts but use our visual senses (as well as olfactory) so thoughts are not strictly auditory...

yeah your right, i guess you could call a daydream or a feeling a type of thought.. then why are thoughts that come in the form of a sound easier to understand? I guess its because we've grown up learning about 'intuition' and learning to understand thoughts easiest as vocabulary and language sensing them as a sound must be our most developed skill in understanding the inner world. visions dont really 'tell' you to do thing? or what do you think..

[edit on 13-12-2009 by hautmess]

[edit on 13-12-2009 by hautmess]

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I think that's it exactly!
Though dreams & visions do "tell" us things thru symbolism we're more used to paying attention to auditory commands due to parental and educational methods... (and thank you for the star!
)

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Most thoughts we communicate to others need to be translated into language. Maybe thoughts will soon be associated equally with typing as well as speaking? So instead of hearing our own thoughts, maybe we will 'feel' our thoughts against an imaginary keyboard.

[edit on 14-12-2009 by Tearman]

[edit on 14-12-2009 by Tearman]

new topics

top topics

join