It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please pass the salt - and other things that can hurt you

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Why do we need to work SO hard to find things out? Is it a conspiracy that health information and science are not part of our common knowledge, for most people, or are we all just lazy?

This from Scientific American states that what pandas eat depends on a certain gene. Pandas are naturally designed to be carnivorous but they're not because they don't have a taste for meat. "In the panda's genetic map, the T1R1 gene appeared to not function, which 'might prevent the panda from expressing a functional umami taste receptor,' wrote the authors. Thus, the big bear might not share other carnivores' affinity for meaty, high-protein meals."

Imagine what we know about humans! From National Institutes of Health "Obesity and Type 2 diabetes are known to be caused by a combination of genetic and environmental factors. The variations found in taste receptor genes may represent a portion of the underlying causes of these disorders"

Just think what the McDonalds' scientists know about our taste buds!!

Science is awesome and I love it but I'm not gonna sit around reading genetics journals just to find out what's good or bad for me! Our dang MSM is worthless in so many ways!!

[edit on 13-12-2009 by Thermo Klein]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I recently became Vegan this summer and it was the best decision i've ever made. I watched everyone get sick around me while i've had the highest energy and most happiness i've ever had in my life.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
As someone paraphrased it: "Everything that tastes good will kill you", not completely true because i happen to like the taste of vegetables but not as much as those McDonald's fries (which I don't normally eat).

But if you take the fries for example, potatoes aren't bad, it's just the unnatural way they are prepared in french fries and eating too many of them and similar fatty foods that makes them contribute to obesity and the related health problems which may ensue from that.

So one solution may be to use simpler ways to prepare our foods. Other than that just eating a varied diet not too high in fat content should go a long way toward better health.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
You trying to say there are actually potatoes in McDonald's fries??

(personally I only eat McDs little hot fudge sundaes like once a year, and nothing else there)

I was vegetarian for a few years and I also REALLY recommend it - I had great pure energy and didn't get sick for 3 years. I had to learn how to cook veggie though - I basically just stopped eating meat without replacing proteins for about 6 months.

I know McDs adds tons of salt, sugar, and oils to their foods cause that's what our tongue responds to. I wonder what else they hide in there?

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
All you need to know is the theory of the acid/alkaline balance. The body needs both sugar and salt, without them you snuff it.

www.naturalhealthschool.com...

www.balance-ph-diet.com...

Salt is alkaline, Sugar is acidic.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

I don't think that's "all you need" although thanks for the link on Ph balance - it is super important!

Along the lines of my thread - if McDonald's uses a silicon dioxide salt instead of NaCl it might have other genetic recognitions that we don't know about.

new topics

top topics

join