It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate passes $1.1. trillion spending bill

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Some related news that will show where some of the money from this massive one thousand page bill will go...

www.detnews.com...

Washington -- The Senate passed legislation Sunday that will send nearly $197 million to Michigan to upgrade airports and regional transit options, buy energy-efficient buses, beautify streets, expand bike paths and bolster police programs in Detroit to reduce shootings and carjackings.

At lest they will get new buses and pretty streets in Detroit.

There are too many other earmarked projects to list here.

www.foxnews.com...

An estimated $3.9 billion goes to more than 5,000 home-state projects sought by individual lawmakers in both parties.

Republican Sen. John McCain issued a list of pork projects included in the bill and urged Obama to veto it.

Spending for the programs that didn't go through the regular channels includes millions for music and arts, fisheries and botanical gardens and transportation and medical research studies.

McCain noted $2.7 million goes to supporting surgical operations in Outer Space, a program studied at the University of Nebraska Medical Center.

"Maybe we need to support surgical operations in outer space. Do we need it at the University of Nebraska? No," said McCain, who then added really only "Trekkies," or Star Trek fans, actually think the U.S. should pay for surgeries in outer space.

At least someone is willing to pay for health care in OUTER SPACE!

[edit on 14-12-2009 by Walkswithfish]

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I wish I worked for the government. Writing your own cheques must be nice.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperSlovak

Being an elected congressman or senator is far better... The pay is excellent, benefits are even better, and you get to do the bidding of special interests and lobbyists who will fund your campaigns. You will have the best health care on the planet for free, travel for free, security for free, and a nice pension for life no matter what happens... All you need is to be really good liar! that is the most important qualification of all... If you are good enough you can win an election and get in there.

Once in anything is possible.... You will feel like a god.

You don't have to actually read any of the bills you vote on, just do as you are told... and you only have a standard 3 day work week.

Best damned government job ever!

The current salary (2009) for rank-and-file members of the House and Senate is $174,000 per year.

Senate Leadership:

Majority Party Leader - $193,400
Minority Party Leader - $193,400

House Leadership:

Speaker of the House - $223,500 (Nancy Pelosi)
Majority Leader - $193,400
Minority Leader - $193,400

So, what are you waiting for?

Go for it.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

My two cents:
1. Federal benefits (SSI/SSD and Medicaid) laws need to be reviewed and tossed out the window along with a lot of other Federal amenities. SSI was implemented for people who could not work or did not have a long enough work history to help with basic living needs temporarily. To date; SSI recipients that I've met are just UNWILLING to work but are smart enough to act stupid enough to receive it. Medicaid should be like a 90/10 insurance plan for people who have a reduced income. Recipients should have to pay a lowered premium/co-pay due to their lack of funds. These program recipients should be reviewed on a 6 month basis with random drug testing to cut out the excessive amounts of people using/abusing the system. Absolutely NOTHING in this world is Free. Health care services aren't for most of us, why is the general public paying total costs of care for people who don't/won't work? (I once knew a man who had two glass eyes; he worked in a broom factory making brooms. He was totally disabled yet worked for a living).
2. Why help car dealers? There's no jobs for people to buy a brand new stinking car!! (sorry about getting irate here).
3. Are Federal employees making below minimum wage or something? Why are they getting a 2 cent on the dollar raise? How about your waitress who's serving you at your local steak house? She's only getting $2.13 on the hour and having to split her tips with the rest of the waitresses/waiters on the floor then claim that money at the end of the year on her taxes.
4. The money that'll be "wasted" on Git-mo detainee's traveling expenses could be deterred with the help of our Judicial system. Put one of my local Family Court Judge on a plane to hear the arguments ... she'll get back to them in a couple of years. Our fine gov'ts idea on dragging those poor souls over seas to have a "fair" trial in the views of their peers; that's a laugh in itself!
5. Personally, to reduce the amount of debt in US is to create jobs. FORCE factory Heads to re-open their doors to workers in the US. Employee's need to get their heads outa their butts in regards to fair wages. (i.e. if you're standing there tightening the same bolt on the same component for 8 hours/day, you shouldn't receive the same pay as the nuclear physicist working on a reactor to power 3/4 of the country). ENCOURAGE teh world market to buy OUR goods made here in the USA. Not encourage the US to buy from other countries. I'm all for helping out the less fortunate, but geeze we need to review how we're helping them out and help ourselves as well.

Of course, that's just my personal thoughts/ideas. Thanks for listening!

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

Well Walkswithfish, my new avatar maybe the only solution to the mess, we have allowed our government to put us in.

Let's just hope that the tornado swings both through the WH and the Congress.

One can only hope.

edit to fix gramma

[edit on 12/14/2009 by endisnighe]

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Maybe they should use the 3 Trillion from the original bailout package. I know for a fact that they haven't used it all yet.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I love how the US government keeps spending more and more money without thinking of how the hell they are going to pay it back in the future. I mean 1.1 trillion!!!! The Iraq war is costing them about 1 billion a month and who knows how much Afghanistan is.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Just Listening

Thank you for atleast addressing the issue of this bill. So far no one in this thread had done so. For that a star to you.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

The issue with this bill is very simple.... excessive deficit spending on top of other massive deficit spending and even more spending in pending legislation. They voted this threw on a Sunday... in the hope that no one would really be paying attention.

Billions in special interest earmarks including a large sum of money for research into surgery in Outer Space! ... increases in spending beyond inflation and in the end a massive robbery of the American taxpayers who WILL have to pay for ALL of this deficit spending... all in a time when the economy is in a deep recession. And they plan to raise their own debt limit beyond an already raised and set $12.1 TRILLION (to prevent default) just before they start debating on ways to screw the taxpayers even more to pay for all of this.

Pardon me, if I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about all of this.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Walkswithfish, I don't think many of us have a very warm n fuzzy feeling about having to pay higher taxes to bail out the gov'ts phenomenal spending habits. Of course it won't just be the workers now, but those couple of generations after us, bailing out the financial mess we're in.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

Heck no, you are better as a pimp lobbyist buying the whores in congress

More money as in millions and get to manipulate the peoples elected officials

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Just Listening

Keep in mind they are not done yet, by a long shot.

They are still planning on energy reform (Cap and Trade) and health care reform... Those thousands of pages will make what happened here seem like nothing... The cost to the American people, and business in the private sector will be astronomical. The powers this government will gain over the people and nearly every aspect of the economy as well as raking in new revenues are what they are ultimately seeking through these agendas.

News of the day...

Source

Time to get er done!

WASHINGTON — After months of turmoil, President Barack Obama is calling Senate Democrats to the White House to say it's time to come together and pass legislation embracing a wholesale remodeling of America's health care system.

How much will it cost?

"We're not going to get all that we want but we're going to get so much more than we have," liberal Sen. Jay Rockefeller, D-W.Va., said.

The overall measure, costing nearly $1 trillion over a decade, is designed to expand coverage with a new requirement for nearly everyone to purchase health insurance,

That's right, you will buy insurance... or else, and everyone will pay for this in one way or another... And of course they will get to finally control the care that you get.

The $1 trillion estimate some have said is far too low.

Let the screwings begin!

[edit on 15-12-2009 by Walkswithfish]

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join