It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The First 10 Years of the 21st Century

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
With Christmas around the corner, and thus a New Year, i figured it may be an appropriate time to discuss a casual opinion of mine, so see what others think. A bit premature seeing as Christmas hasn't happend yet? You decide.

Inspired by a topic I saw on another site (but now the origin escapes my mind), it has occurred to me that the first 10 years of the 21st century have been rather...useless? I have only been alive for around 20 years, so I don't have much to personally compare these last ten years to, but I do know my history and know that in the past, there have been large strives in technological advancements. When I look back at what history has recorded, such as the discovery of electricity, microprocessing, the production line, and other major breakthroughs in our technology, it all seems to dwarf what has happened from 2000 to 2009. Let me explain.

I feel as if these past ten years have been lacking in well, significant gain as a society. When I look back, what do I recall as major events of the past decade?
-Well, first thing that would come to my mind would be 9/11. This isn't a topic about conspiracy, so I'll just leave it at the fact that it was a tragic event, no matter what the real story is.
-After that, the invasion of the middle east. I may not be American, but as a Canadian we still have soldiers over there, fighting a war, exhausting resources that aren't being put to efficient use.
-The war expanding from Afghanistan to Iraq.
-In Canada, we started the 21st Century with a national average price of gas around 65 cents a litre. It's almost the end of 2009 and we are hovering around 97 cents a litre.
-George Bush got a second term
-Barack Obama (First African American President) wins the 2009 presidential race. Still no major change to America. In fact, the de regulation of the free market during the Bush era has pushed the globe into a vast recession that cannot be fixed.
-Technology become cheaper and more affordable, but only marginally. It can still be produced to run much faster and supplied for even cheaper, but that would be less profitable.
-Significant gains in terms of microprocessing whereas it is possible for almost every person in the west to own a reletively powerful computer.
-Large Hadron Collider is built, but cannot be run properly.
-Conservatives take power in Canada. Not much to note here other than dull campaigns promising relief from the recession. (Liberal Party gets pwnd with their anti-carbon campgain failure)
-No real signifigant progress in climate change other than the recent email scandal and several companies profiting from "Green" branding advertising campagins and trend following.
-We land some rovers on mars. Get back pictures.
-We discover water on mars and moon.
-Still no confirmation of intelligent life elsewhere.
-GM gets a nice bailout.
-Stock Market implodes under greed, restructures itself under greed.

This list is just a few things that I have witnessed this decade, and my own cynical opinion on them, but when I really sum it up, what has this decade offered society? More political scandal, corporate greed, and slightly cheaper technology. One of the biggest projects of our time, the Large Hadron Collider hasn't even worked properly yet! We have not even landed anyone on the moon this decade, and we are still using the same spaceships to explore space as we did in the 80's!

Maybe it's just me, but other than cheaper, faster computers, and the expansion of the most useful tool Internet, nothing too great has happened this decade? Maybe life is mundane in general, but in comparison to other time periods, the stretch from 2000 to 2009 seems to me, to be one of the most politically and technologically useless decades to of happened in the past few hundred years. Maybe I'm uneducated and pesismistic, but does anyone else feel this way?

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Well, what can I say... you are pretty much spot on. The world is not making any real progress anymore, and there is corruption everywhere. All the corporate controlled mass media is raving about is war, terrorism, war, war, al queda, war, terrorism... blah blah blah. They want to keep you afraid so they can offer the "solution" which is usually something that makes the world even more crap for people (but better for them). Like world government or military colonization of space.

Its all part of the plan. You are young but perhaps you have still heard about Silent Weapons for Quiet Wars. Look at our world today and tell me this isnt exactly what we are seeing.

Specially read the Table of Strategies section.

[edit on 13-12-2009 by Copernicus]

[edit on 13-12-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
The first 10 years have been wasted on the liberal elitists in the world attempting to force their "global union" agenda on the rest of us, and the unwashed masses of the world have been resisting with an equal or greater force, which has resulted in neutral progress on any front.

We need to leave individual nations to solve their own problems, leave them to learn by experience and grow naturally or die naturally. The "global union" agenda is about thrusting everyone onto the same playing field under one set of rules — but, frankly, most nations are not mature enough to engage in global politics or global government or a global economy.

Just look at the fundamental Muslim nations, for example. Like angry medieval kingdoms that are hopelessly and helplessly backwards in civil rights, they are abusers of children and women, and they are bloody zealots having no seat at a global table.

No seat whatsoever.

We do not need a "global government" to solve our problems — it'll never happen, anyway. The worldwide opposition to such a global union is so apparent, the globalists have resorted to all-out fear-mongering — e.g. the manmade global warming hoax, pandemic disease hoaxes, etc — attempting to frighten the herd into stampeding toward a predetermined objective in order to appease the whims of a handful of unrealistic liberal elitists.

This is why there has been no "progress" in the first decade of the 21st Century.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 12/13/2009 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Thanks for your insight, guys. But I must admit that I am most disappointed in our efforts with space exploration. I know there are many steps that we must take before we can put people on another planet, but at least do some extensive research of the moon for goodness sakes. I guess that makes me kind of angry. I appreciate the efforts to put satellites up and advance our understanding of the Universe, but it's the MOON. We are so close to it in comparison to Mars, Venus, etc.

But I suppose until we are all mature enough to world together as a PLANET for something other than personal, material gain, we shall never really colonize space.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by For(Home)Country
I know there are many steps that we must take before we can put people on another planet, but at least do some extensive research of the moon for goodness sakes.

I think there's no question that we must return to the Moon before we can even hope to mount a manned expedition to Mars and beyond.

For one thing, the Moon has an abundance of all the minerals, metals and compounds required for a massive interplanetary venture. The water ice alone will supply all the fuel, water and oxygen we could possibly need. The extremely low gravity will facilitate the manufacture of very large spacecraft components composed of extraordinary low-gravity alloys. Additionally, the harsh and unforgiving surface of the Moon is a perfect training ground and equipment testing lab for interplanetary explorers, regardless of their destinations.

From the Moon, we can easily assemble, load and launch myriad "oasis stations" for deployment all across the solar system, thus providing emergency escape and refueling depots for deep space explorers.

It all begins with the Moon. We'll never see manned interplanetary space flight that doesn't first require permanent colonization and development of the Moon.

The fact that we have wasted the last 20 years on political bickering, governmental corruption, fear-mongering hoaxes, and a pointless "global union" campaign that will only further deplete our resources for space exploration is unpardonable.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by For(Home)Country
With Christmas around the corner, and thus a New Year, i figured it may be an appropriate time to discuss a casual opinion of mine, so see what others think. A bit premature seeing as Christmas hasn't happend yet? You decide.

Inspired by a topic I saw on another site (but now the origin escapes my mind), it has occurred to me that the first 10 years of the 21st century have been rather...useless? I have only been alive for around 20 years, so I don't have much to personally compare these last ten years to, but I do know my history and know that in the past, there have been large strives in technological advancements. When I look back at what history has recorded, such as the discovery of electricity, microprocessing, the production line, and other major breakthroughs in our technology, it all seems to dwarf what has happened from 2000 to 2009. Let me explain.

I feel as if these past ten years have been lacking in well, significant gain as a society. When I look back, what do I recall as major events of the past decade?
-Well, first thing that would come to my mind would be 9/11. This isn't a topic about conspiracy, so I'll just leave it at the fact that it was a tragic event, no matter what the real story is.
-After that, the invasion of the middle east. I may not be American, but as a Canadian we still have soldiers over there, fighting a war, exhausting resources that aren't being put to efficient use.
-The war expanding from Afghanistan to Iraq.
-In Canada, we started the 21st Century with a national average price of gas around 65 cents a litre. It's almost the end of 2009 and we are hovering around 97 cents a litre.
-George Bush got a second term
-Barack Obama (First African American President) wins the 2009 presidential race. Still no major change to America. In fact, the de regulation of the free market during the Bush era has pushed the globe into a vast recession that cannot be fixed.
-Technology become cheaper and more affordable, but only marginally. It can still be produced to run much faster and supplied for even cheaper, but that would be less profitable.
-Significant gains in terms of microprocessing whereas it is possible for almost every person in the west to own a reletively powerful computer.
-Large Hadron Collider is built, but cannot be run properly.
-Conservatives take power in Canada. Not much to note here other than dull campaigns promising relief from the recession. (Liberal Party gets pwnd with their anti-carbon campgain failure)
-No real signifigant progress in climate change other than the recent email scandal and several companies profiting from "Green" branding advertising campagins and trend following.
-We land some rovers on mars. Get back pictures.
-We discover water on mars and moon.
-Still no confirmation of intelligent life elsewhere.
-GM gets a nice bailout.
-Stock Market implodes under greed, restructures itself under greed.

This list is just a few things that I have witnessed this decade, and my own cynical opinion on them, but when I really sum it up, what has this decade offered society? More political scandal, corporate greed, and slightly cheaper technology. One of the biggest projects of our time, the Large Hadron Collider hasn't even worked properly yet! We have not even landed anyone on the moon this decade, and we are still using the same spaceships to explore space as we did in the 80's!

Maybe it's just me, but other than cheaper, faster computers, and the expansion of the most useful tool Internet, nothing too great has happened this decade? Maybe life is mundane in general, but in comparison to other time periods, the stretch from 2000 to 2009 seems to me, to be one of the most politically and technologically useless decades to of happened in the past few hundred years. Maybe I'm uneducated and pesismistic, but does anyone else feel this way?

This is caused by Greedy and Profit Hungry US Multinational Corporations rules over anything else, it started by they secretly Cheats at 2000 US Presidential election on Florida recount, this makes George Bush gains Second term where those Corporations uses Bush (later Obama) as their puppets for both strangle and torture both Humanity and Mother Nature.

top topics

join