It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook manipulating the UK charts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Okay i don't know if you've already heard, but a vast amount of people are campaigning against Simon Cowell's X-factor 'karaoke' for the Uk number one single.

In a message against the corporate mainstream (ironically) the people have chosen to set up an anti-X factor campaign by mass downloaing Rage against the machine - Killing in the name of.

Now up until this morning the facebook campaign was doing very well, with bookies in the Uk dropping the odds of Rage against the machine from 100/1 to 3/1.

Now... as Simon Cowell has already spoken against this campaign , branding it 'stupid' and how dare we the public vote for something other than his choices...

www.nme.com...

www.cnn.com...

Now... This morning it seems the campaign against the X factor facebook page has mysteriously vanished. From all records.

Is this then a case of the corporates actively censoring any opposition?

Luckily the organisers have set up a back up page as you can see here.:

www.facebook.com...

I don't usually care much for social networking sites, but since i'm writing an essay on the record industry and also keen to see how much censorship is supported by such big companies, i think this is a VERY interesting case.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Interestingly enough the campaign group claims to have raised £15,000 for charity too.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

At first when I heard about this I thought it was quite funny, I'm not a great fan of the manufactured music from Simon Cowell and his artists.

But the choice of Rage Against The Machine by the Facebook group is slightly sinister, it would have been nice to have a mass movement behind a song with a bit more Christmas cheer and less of a divisive message.

Something by the Muppets would have been far more appropriate!

[edit on 13-12-2009 by mrlondon]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I hope this group succeeds.

I really dislike the X-Factor as it really has spoilt the christmas number one.

How suspicious that the group magically disappears.

Good job they had a back up.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Problem is it won't work, somehow he will succeed.

Remember Alexandra Burke last year singing Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah?

Well they tried and failed with trying to get Jeff Buckley's absolutely incredible version to number one instead. Mr Cowell Is probably more than capable of manipulating the charts to bring success.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
I don't usually care much for social networking sites, but since i'm writing an essay on the record industry and also keen to see how much censorship is supported by such big companies, i think this is a VERY interesting case.

You need to watch the documentaries "Strong Enough to Break" and "Before the Music Dies". Those will tell you EXACTLY how messed up the music industry is. Do NOT give in to the demands of the Big Four: Sony Music Entertainment, Universal Music Group, EMI, and Warner Music Group. They work VERY hard to censor those who would change what music the public does and does not listen to. They don't like people making their own choices as to what music is good and what isn't.

Just so you know beforehand, "Strong Enough to Break" is actually about an experience that Hanson had with Island/Def Jam Records (a subsidiary of Universal Music Group), but it's happened to so many artists that it's something that people NEED to see, because it's a very serious issue. You know those artists that you never hear from anymore, and were wondering why they stopped making records? Watch that documentary, and you'll see EXACTLY what happened to them. Except that those artists gave in and gave up. They didn't fight back like Hanson did.

Strong Enough To Break
www.hanson.net...

Before the Music Dies
www.televisionwithoutpity.com...

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Yeah I've been hammered with emails and posts about the RATM campaign, I think putting two fingers up at mr Cowell is the main driving force behind it, and I must admit I agree with the campaign, the charts are predominantly full of manufactured bands who have the backing of large record companies who'll put lot's and lot's of money into the promotion, other bands who are genuinely talented up and coming don't stand a chance, up yours Mr Cowell.. I hope it works… and yeah it is strange the page disappearing like that, maybe an idea to contact the OP of the campaign and get their take on it...

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Hi There! Good choice of song. Although, i think the main power lies in the song title. The Corporate Machine is strong. The machine is powered by the public zombi's. Just as the most sophisticated machine will not run without a power source, likewise actual thing will go nowhere without the peole taking the lead.

Take last nights Xfactor.. ---

news.bbc.co.uk...

17 Million is quite a lot of people. Not the biggest, but still strong enougth to make a huge boost and given the topic, a dent in profits. Not just for SYCO and ITV, but all that little stuff that comes with it. Do the maths people, if its a pound to phone up and they had 6 million votes, thats an easy 6,000,000 british. Not for getting the other shows too, its just to bigger money spinner to have some facebook group messing around.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
This campaign is spreading like wildfire, it really has caught people's imagination and the song's lyrics are a perfect message to send to the likes of Cowell and his vacuous cronies..

If you live in Britain just do it, you know it's needed...

new topics

top topics

join