It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian scientists detect signs of life on Moon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
December 12, 2009
Bangalore: Scientists at the Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro) are on the brink of a path-breaking discovery. They may have found signs of life in some form or the other on the Moon.

They believe so because scientific instruments on India's first unmanned lunar mission, Chandrayaan-1, picked up signatures of organic matter on parts of the Moon's surface, Surendra Pal, associate director, Isro Satellite Centre (Isac), said at the international radar symposium here on Friday.

Organic matter consists of organic compounds, which consists of carbon -- the building block of life.

It indicates the formation of life or decay of a once-living matter.

Pal said the signatures were relayed back to the Bylalu deep space network station near Bangalore by the mass spectrometer on board the Indian payload, the moon impact probe (MIP), on November 14, 2008.

The relay of data happened moments before it crashed near the Moon's south pole. The MIP was the first experiment of the Chandrayaan-1 mission, which was launched on October 22, 2008.

www.dnaindia.com...

How interesting, we just might get some truth from India unlike NASA who tells us nothing.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
haha disclosure will happen.

these are just the baby steps to the ultimate goal

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Hmmmm, "carbon" eh?

How many rockets and boosters have left their traces on the moon's surface. Is it possible this is what their instruments picked up?

Like the article says:

The Chandrayaan-1 scientists, at present, are analysing the source of origin of the Moon's organic matter. "It could be comets or meteorites which have deposited the matter on the Moon's surface; or the instrument that landed on the Moon could have left traces," a senior space scientist said

Is this a great way to get funding or what!

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
The LCROSS impact also showed signs of carbon compounds.

Water's spectral fingerprints weren't the only ones found by LCROSS. Apparently the blossoming debris cloud had other interesting "flavorings" mixed in. Mission scientists are still trying to make the best fits to the observed spectrum, but candidate compounds include carbon dioxide (CO2), carbon monoxide (CO), and even organic molecules like methane (CH4), methanol (CH3OH), and ethanol (C2H5OH). "The possibility of contamination from the Centaur was ruled out," Colaprete notes.

www.skyandtelescope.com...
November 13, 2009

So what was it that NASA is hiding again?

[edit on 12/13/2009 by Phage]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Carbon is a component of organic life yes.. But.. isn't the opposite true.. that carbon is also found in many inorganic compounds? I thought so.

from Wikipedia:

"The largest sources of inorganic carbon are limestones, dolomites and carbon dioxide, but significant quantities occur in organic deposits of coal, peat, oil and methane clathrates Carbon forms more compounds than any other element, with almost ten million pure organic compounds described to date, which in turn are a tiny fraction of such compounds that are theoretically possible under standard conditions."

[edit on 13-12-2009 by JohnPhoenix]

[edit on 13-12-2009 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1
....Organic matter consists of organic compounds, which consists of carbon -- the building block of life.

True.

It indicates the formation of life or decay of a once-living matter.

Not True.

Organic compounds are compounds containing carbon. Carbon is naturally occurring and there are other processes besides "life" that would allow carbon to combine with other molecules.

the idea that organic compounds exist elsewhere besides Earth is a very exciting idea, because organic compounds are the building blocks of what eventually may become life (or has become life) -- but it does not necessarily mean life DOES exist where there are organic compounds

How interesting, we just might get some truth from India unlike NASA who tells us nothing.

NASA has told us many times before about organic compounds found outside of Earth.

- NASA told us that the Galileo space probe had detected organic compounds on Jupiter's moons Ganymede and Callisto, and in Jupiter's atmosphere. NASA has openly discussed the possibilities of life on the Jovian Moons -- in fact they Lead the discussion about potential life on Europa.

- NASA told us that the Cassini-Huygens space probes detected organic compounds on Saturn's moons Titan and Enceladus. Titan has lakes full of liquid methane (an organic compound that can be produced through living AND non-living means).

NASA tells us that Saturn's moon Enceladus may have liquid water, warmth and organic molecules. They are very open to the idea that Enceladus may have everything needed for life as we know it. NASA are the people making this bold statement. Again, NASA are the ones doing the reseacrh and spending the money looking for life on Enceladus.

Here's an article discussing the work being daone at NASA's Ames Research facility which is analyzing the data from Enceladus, looking for life:

Can Cassini be Used to Detect Life on Enceladus?
and another
The Extraordinary Ecosystems of Enceladus

- NASA has openly discussed the potential for organic compounds in the atmosphere of Venus. In fact, NASA has written articles speculating on the types of life that could live in the clouds of Venus.

- NASA as discussed finding organic compounds in comet dust. NASA spent money to send a spacecraft to a comet, collect dust, then return that dust sample home specifically looking for organic compounds -- and there analysis shows they succeeded in finding them.

- NASA has also found organic compounds outside our solar system:
Hubble telescope finds organic compounds on distant planet

So, rather than NASA telling us "nothing", they are actually among the few people who have said "something". If it wasn't for NASA's research, we would know very little about the existence of organic compounds elsewhere in our solar system.

[edit on 12/13/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
there isn't really a need for me to post seeing as

nerbot
phage
and Soylent Green

have devastated the premise of the OP.

What happened about those new ALH84001 results? It all went quiet. Was it a hoax? Or should we expect Obama to announce life beyond Earth right at the moment all the Copenhagen delegates quietly sign the treaty.

[edit on 13-12-2009 by spookfish]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
India may be searching for evidence of ancient battles on the moon as told in their ancient texts. They may be searching for evidence of their ancestors or wreckage of Vimanas and Vailixi. I don't blame them. There is compelling archaeological evidence (radioactive skeletons, etc.) to suggest that there may be some truth to their ancient stories. I hope they find evidence and share it with the world and won't be intimidated and silenced by others who already have the knowledge. The knowledge belongs to all of us not just a few.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by gazerstar

I am interested in this, as I am aware of two or three cities that are referenced as being radioactive. I've looked up both Mohenjo-daro and Harappa, and dug into online journals and noticed no reference to radioactivity.
The only other city I've heard related to it was Rajasthan, which turns out to be a popular tourist destination in India.
Looking for the source of the statements, the best I've come up with is websites and a Pravda article.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I though NASA said there was no water or life on the moon

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

But that's IMPOSSIBLE! :p

I mean we are the only existence in this infinite universe right?

A lot of egos will need to be lovingly picked up off the ground and hugged after hearing news like this you know

Thanks for the revealling post

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
India is making NASA look stupid that's what there doing! I wish just for once NASA would tell us the truth "Well what's written in their charter!"

Disclose Now or be branded LIARS!

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by MOTT the HOOPLE

If you'd check my post in the other ongoing thread about this, you'll see NASA has released info about amino acids and carbon on the moon. Googling will pull up a number of them.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
I though NASA said there was no water or life on the moon

Where did NASA say this?

You sure claim a lot of people say a lot of things and never back up any of it.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by spookfish
there isn't really a need for me to post seeing as

nerbot
phage
and Soylent Green

have devastated the premise of the OP.

[edit on 13-12-2009 by spookfish]

(cough... hero-worship...cough)
(cough...suck-up...cough)

There is no room for any of THAT on this site.
Some of us just aren't that impressed by statements made by other site members, and we may need, and desire to have unrestricted access to as much info as possible.
From assorted sources.
WITHOUT the chiming-in from the "Peanut-Gallery".

And, in my opinion, any threads getting posted to this site, that are about "real" events, and do NOT have titles like:

- I Hot-Tubbed with Aliens
- Why Christians Eat Babies
or
- Freemasons Surf on Nibiru

...are more than welcome!

Thank you for your contribution OP.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
India, China and Japan, they will be the countries from which the most amazing discoveries will arrive.

NASA will be forced to runs behind they and to admit behind schedule.

Without a change into the "official" politics of the Space Agency, the "twilight of NASA" is already begun....and it sets off on the definitive sunset...

S&F.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Imagir

S&F.

You've been drinking haven't you

Yeah it's weird NASA ain't responding - say nothing is their best play perhaps?

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchZEITGEISTnow

S&F.

You've been drinking haven't you

Yeah it's weird NASA ain't responding - say nothing is their best play perhaps?

Too soon for drink...

But it is by now clearly that NASA is really embarassed about the discoveries, the news, and the detections that arrive from other countries like India and Japan.

NASA has lost the "Monopoly of the Information on Space.
And this is the hardest and irreversible blow.

jra

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   

But it is by now clearly that NASA is really embarassed about the discoveries, the news, and the detections that arrive from other countries like India and Japan.

In what way are the people at NASA embarrassed? And what exactly do they have to be embarrassed about? You do understand that most of these space agencies co-opporate and work together, right? India's Chandrayaan-1, for example, had 11 instruments, 6 of them were from other space agencies. Two of them from NASA, one of which made the recent discoveries that there may be more ice on the Moon than originally thought.

NASA has lost the "Monopoly of the Information on Space.
And this is the hardest and irreversible blow.

When did NASA ever have a monopoly on space?

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Imagir

NASA announced the presence of organic compounds before ISRO did. I guess you weren't paying attention again.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join