It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is wrong with ATS membership part two

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Started this thread because I didn't want to get buried on page 10.

When I first started ATS there were fewer posts, but more serious posters. If you brought up an idea, statement, picture, what have you, you better be able to back it up. You were challenged, your resources scrutinized.

The reason being is there is a major stigma attached to conspiracy theories, and few have been proven to be true. Despite evidence collected. If we are to provide an idea to the world, it will be met with the same scrutiny.

Because we now have emotional posters instead of logical posters who only want their claims acceded instead of debated and scrutinized, are now crying debunkers.

Any scientific approach in the scientific community is going to be scrutinized six ways to Sunday.

But instead, we want people to act like religous believers ina tent healing ceremony in the south were because a preacher touched someone and fell, they must of removed the demons.

So just because you instantly saw it and can't explain it, doesn't mean it is supernatural or out of this world.

History is riddled with misconceptions, accusations, and people who have gathered millions to believe in false and made up ideologies.

I thought conspiracy theorists were beyond this. But our tin foil hats have gotten bigger, and people so badly want somethign to be true that they are not bathing in foil tubs. And every picture or bit of news that comes along, MUST be true.

Whatever happened to critical thinking? The schools are failing us. If it is on youtube it must be true!

Really, since the spirals are so neat and symmetrical, that is a reason it can't be nature or man made?

Nature is full of symmetry. sea anemones , butterfly wings, flowers and jelly fish.

Hurricanes are big puffy spirals on teh water. Tornados are scary spirals on land.

So just because someone offers a logical explanation, doesn't mean we are condemning an entire subject, or denouncing the existence of ufo and other phenomenon.

We are just practising the same scrutiny that all members should be practising. Before announcing something to the world and looking like arses.

crop circles alone were a pretty painful lesson.
That still resonates with a lot of civilians.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Any scientific approach in the scientific community is going to be scrutinized six ways to Sunday.

Except man-made global warming. Nearly everyone in that science community was forced to accept findings without the peer review.

What is it with people who come here and analyze ATS?

Has anyone ever posted a thread with a subject line that says; What is right with ATS membership?

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

Thank you for proving my point with a one line statement and no documentation. And to have to use another thread to to spam your mantra.

If you want what it right with ats, then you start the thread if it bothers you.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
When I first started reading ATS, making 2nd threads of 1st threads was not the "norm".

I guess "when you want to be heard" people now just make a copy-cat thread to make sure they are on the first page.

Eh...well...if it matters, this thread is as "ho-hum" as the one you are emulating/continuing here.

Good luck with it...glad I am near the top of it.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I don't see why this couldn't have been posted in the original thread.

I think it should be against the rules to create a new thread which rides off the back of another.

In my opinion.

However saying that i do agree with your post for the most part.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
two thoughts the other's are right.. shouldnt do a part two... seeing ten or more pages will bring others in to see what everyone is talking about...

second thought... there is always going to be some jerk who cant help but make an off comment... since it's your thread you have to take and keep control... no name calling... just a polite remind, we can all agree to disagree and if it still digresses use the alert button and let the mods know you have a trouble maker

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Good thread. I agree. I didn't read the first thread because it was entirely too long.

But I do see the consistently new BREAKING NEWS stories that are not even conspiracy related at all.

But then again, its an open forum.

Just my $0.02.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
I don't see why this couldn't have been posted in the original thread.

Yeah, it would have been on Page 8...not page 10 as the Author stated as the 'reason'

I think it should be against the rules to create a new thread which rides off the back of another.

Afraid i must disagree here, because ~as i see it ~ the forum is like passing around the canteen, and everybody takes a swig, and passes it along....

.... i do agree with your post for the most part.

We're back in general agreement, but, most of those authors are present mods/super mods... the population has changed... the authors and replies are addressing a different set of priorities from the site build-up period of years past. just as the daily events worth talking about are changing

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

Oh did I hurt your feelings? Sorry.

And how is a counter arguement a copy cat statement? And I am certainly not the first person to do it. The threads are full of posts on the very same topic. Many are repeated over and over. I actually have the nerve to say that I am providing a counter arguement so that I, and others like me, can be heard.

And yet, you still have not added anything of substance to the topic, and this makes you better...how?

I am still waiting for a decent response as to why these supposed" debunkers" should still be chastised just for offering the other point of view.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I guess the obvious answer is 'there isn't anything wrong with the ATS membership.' It's an ongoing discussion of similar topics. Old topics are new to some members and we're all on the learning curve regarding different areas. Sure, it's depressing to see the same old stuff getting rehashed, but we have to allow for the age and experience of different people.

In my experience, I've learned a great deal from these boards and met some interesting characters. I don't know if it's an indictment on the interwebs or a big compliment to ATS...but...I haven't found a site that ticks the same boxes.

I share the OP's frustration with the lack of substance from some members, but life would be soooooooooooo dull if we all agreed about everything. We've got a spectrum that reflects different education levels and employment experience. Astronomers, aviators, musicians, artists, scientists, parents, students. A high school member has as much right to post as anyone else.

With enough members to populate a town, it's natural that ATS reflects a cross-section.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I don't think this thread or any similar thread is going to take care of any complaints. That being said, I have no problem with members bringing up such issues.

I really have no complaints about this site. Overall, it is better than any other out there.

I admit that I have ran across my fair of rude members. But sometimes it is based on the topic being discussed. The same rude member in one thread is a very respectful person in other threads.

Controversial subjects are capable of bringing out the rudeness in all of us.

As far as backing up what one says. Well, I can see why many don't. No sooner do you back it up with evidence and either your evidence get labeled as trash or your evidence is simply ignored. The latter being the norm IMO.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

I absolutely have no complaints of opposing ideas. Heck, any forum would be quite boring, and eventually extinguished without it.

Which is my point that you can't acccuse people of being disinfo whatevers, because they want to provide a logical viewpoint.

And because people want something to back up your ideas or statement or news, with real sources. Unless you admit it is just a theory.

But it always leads to the age ol' ats question. Has anyone ever actually changed anyone's mind on ats?

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
But it always leads to the age ol' ats question. Has anyone ever actually changed anyone's mind on ats?

I did actually and the guy I did it to will actually admit it quite gladly

And guess what topic it was on? 100 bonus points for a corrcet guess

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Using my title with a part 2 added is so wrong. This thread has been allerted.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
YET somehow people have flagged it 3 times....WAY to boost your flag contribution for no reason at all. Out of hand and will continue unless higher ups step in.

You don't agree with what the site is, has or will become...then don't participate. No one forces you to be here. No one forced me to write this except myself. I could have ignored it and probably would have until I saw that it has 3 flags.....

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Pleae post your comments in the earlier thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closed.

top topics

join