It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Kinds of guns not to buy

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Couldn't agree with you more mate, I have a .357 S&W revolver and you cant get easier to operate and you can download rounds to .38 Specials to shoot Game like birds so you don't obliterate them with the Magnum rounds.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Actually that is a good recomendation. The ability to fire .38spl and .357 makes it versatile and affordable to shoot.

I would also recomend Rossi as a manufacturer to consider. One of my dad's best friends won several shooting comps back in the '80s with one. He was competing in a division that allowed only stock unmodified guns.

As far as rounds, I wouldn't shy away from Corbon DPX even though it is a little lighter. I also wouldn't shy away from Winchester Supreme Elite even though it is a little heavier. Quality is in many regards more important than size.

My only other recomendation is to practice with the same ammo you plan to use for defense. A 110gr .38spl+p is going to fire much different than a 158gr .357 magnum round. You better be ready for it when the time comes.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Well to get back on track here ...
where I was learning to be a gunsmith I use to hear rumors that some of the weapons made for the Nazi's during WWII hand been sabotaged
All these weapons came out of Fabrique Nationale (FN) plant in Belgium and barrels by Böhmische Waffenfabrik of Prague. Another Czech firm.
the guns on the watch list were the Luger the Mauser VZ and of course the P-38... (The rumor says all these guns had "CYA" in their serial numbers)

Now quite frankly in all my years I've never seen one of these sabotaged guns. I can say some of the later models were poorly made so regardless if you find yourself a period piece with or without the eagle and swastika stamp... Have a gunsmith look it over, just to be safe.

[edit on 14-12-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I would have to say a Kel-Tek 9mm
I think they are made in Florida. at 10 yards there was over a 18 inch group, 7 plus1 magazine and about every 6 shots the magazine spring would catch and wouldn't load the next round. I sold it to a guy i worked with and bought me a smith and wesson 9mm. And it hasnt jammed yet and I have killed a snake in the water at 20 yards away.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
The worst gun I ever owned was a Smith and Wesson 38 lightweight. bought. shot it one time and sold it. If you could hit the broad side of a barn with that thing due to the lightness of it and the recoil good luck.
My favorite gun for around the house right now is the Glock 9mm, it never jams no matter what ammo I run through it and is really accurate with little recoil. I can actually hit a target with it.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Don't buy Simmons or Tasco, or BSA optics. ATN is also horrible.

Don't buy ruger pistols, unless they are a revolver, or the MKI, or MKII target pistol.

Don't buy a ruger mini-14.

Don't buy a Glock that isn't a 9mm.

Don't buy a smith and wesson that is not a revolver.

Don't buy foreign 1911's.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Downtown 436 would like to know whats your thoughts on the other models of Glock beside 9mm and why not to buy one. I was so happy with my Glock 9mm thought about buying perhaps a 357.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I'll agree with you and cite an incident that proved it to me. I have an old pre-war German .32 auto (from my father). My intent was to use it to qualify for my CC license because of its small flat size. The instructor wasn't happy with the .32, and by BTW, he would not qualify anybody with a .22. Anyway, after a few shot my gun started jamming, failing to load. In disgust, he gave me his .40 Saur (terrific gun).

Later, trying to discover what the heck was wrong with the gun for obvious reasons, I was shooting and discovered red marks on the web of my hand between the thumb and fore finger. Being a small gun, my hand was interfering with the full backward otion of the slide and thus, the jamming.

I'm in the market for something more robust and already have a military holster for a Beretta, but I sure like that .40 Saur.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamherefornow

The Glock Model 21 45acp was one of the finest weapons I ever carried/owned..

Carried it for years, fired literally thousands of rounds through it, I can honestly not remember a malfunction.

My entire department carried them.

Fantastic weapon

Semper

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

I get a kick out of our "Finest" using our shooting range with Glock 10mm ( .40 cal ) pistols. They literally stand 7 metres and closer and still spray a pattern I wouldn't be happy with @ 1000 yards with my .22 Unique.

For personal defense yes so long as you can smell the enemies breathe, but if I was hunting for my life I would go with an accurate weapon such as a Tanfoglio, STI, SVI, CZ or S&W in preferably .38 super with decent optics like a c-more or EOtech if a pistol was the only choice and try my best to keep it clean and undamaged.

[edit on 15-12-2009 by mazzroth]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Being in the UK here all I can say is, at least you have a choice, we have shotguns, black powder , oh and and far as I know 1 Aug semi auto rifle with a 3 shot clip? oh and a few sniper rifles and thats it

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
My personal worst gun ever was a North American Arms .22lr 5 shot single action revolver. To say it was a tiny belly gun was an understatement.

The only guaranteed hit was if your target was the ground and you aimed straight down.

A pen knife was far more lethal at greater ranges. It did however make for a passable starter pistol if you used blanks.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

I remember when they sold that little .22 as a belt buckle. that is to say the tiny .22 clipped unto this buckle and looked like a design rather than a real weapon... must be why some guy managed to walk into a court room with one and quick as a wink there was a law making "Buckle Guns" Illegal

[edit on 15-12-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Far as I know, you can still find the buckles around. Many dealers can find them for private sale.

Paid $100 and sold for $75. So $25 rent for a year wasn't too bad. For a collector, sure. For serious use, no.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

Don't buy Simmons or Tasco, or BSA optics. ATN is also horrible.
Don't buy ruger pistols, unless they are a revolver, or the MKI, or MKII target pistol.

I disagree. I have a BSA on a .22 magnum and like it.

I disagree on the Ruger too. I have a mk3 22/45 and like it. It's more accurate than I am and is totally reliable right out of the box.

It is a little hard to take down, until you do it a few times though. And I think the loaded chamber indicator is a little silly. I blame the lawyers for that bit of idiocy, along with the moron(s) that probably made them think they had to add this to the design because they shot someone not knowing it was loaded. To me, it's worth the tradeoff.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I don't think that this weapon falls into the do not buy category. It is a great last ditch effort type of weapon. Single shot, better make it count!!

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Interesting vid!

Not much recoil. Maybe use a 16 or a 20 ga?

Is building this legal?

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by PSUSA

You can buy it.
www.securityarms.com...
www.autoweapons.com...

Interesting site for heavily concealed weapons. Cops really have to be on their toes nowadays.
orangecountyshields.tripod.com...

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by PSUSA
Interesting vid!

Not much recoil. Maybe use a 16 or a 20 ga?

Is building this legal?

if you were a diver you'd know about bangsticks and you don't need to do the background check to buy one

Powerhead
Mounts on standard spearshaft or pole spear. Available in .357, .44 mag, 12 GA and .223 with 6 mm, 7 mm and 5/15-24 thread.
$199.95-269.95 sug. retail

SeaStick Defense Weapon
(Bang Stick or Sharkstick)
The Bangstick is 13oz. and 26 1/8" long assembled. It separates into two 14" sections for compact holstering and is made of all stainless steel and hard anodized aluminum for durability and corrosion resistance. We have .44 Magnum, .357 magnum and .357 maximum available. The five foot fisherman's model is available in all calibers as well.
Suggested Retail is $229 for the Divers' version and $289 for Fisherman

the bad news is to got to be close enough to your target to poke it with the bangstick

one of many places to buy one

if their legal I don't see why the flashlight 410 wouldn't be

[edit on 15-12-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I'd suggest not buying any gun that shoots projectiles.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join