It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Kinds of guns not to buy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
We always talk about the best, the finest, coolest... but there is another side... the don't waste your money or down right dangerous...

So to kick things off lets talk about one that will get you killed simply because you don't know...Damascus steel...

Originally Damascus steel referred a hot-forged steel used in Middle Eastern swordmaking from about 1100 to 1700 AD. Damascus swords were of legendary sharpness and strength, and were apocryphally claimed to be able to cut through lesser quality swords and even rock.

The swirl pattens in the steel make this among some of the prettiest guns you'll ever see... but there is a problem...

Prior to the early 20th century, all shotgun barrels were forged by heating narrow strips of iron and steel and shaping them around a mandrel.This process was referred to as "laminating" or "Damascus" and these barrels were found on inexpensive shotguns that sold for $12.These types of barrels earned a reputation for weakness and were never meant to be used with modern smokeless powder, often resulting in catastrophic failure. can you say blow up in your face?

the thing is, you still see these guns pop up from time to time at a gun show... and they work just fine with the old lower pressured black powder shotshells, but when they moved to modern smokeless powder and much higher chamber pressures they didn't change the cartridge... a modern 12 ga fits neatly into the chamber of one these old black powder guns... you'd never know you just made a fatal mistake until you pulled the trigger!

That very pretty steel swirl is your tip off... because of it's beauty there are gun makers today that sleeve Damascus steel over... giving the impression of... but with the safety of modern materials hidden underneath...

Okay now your turns...
So tell me what kind of bad experiences have you had? don't be shy you might just save more than someones hard earned cash

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   

So tell me what kind of bad experiences have you had? don't be shy you might just save more than someones hard earned cash

I bought a Lorcin once.

Dont buy cheap weapons. Never.

I bought some el-cheapo magazines for an AR once.
It was a tossup on whether I'd get a double feed or a fail to feed, after firing one round.

Dont buy cheap mags. Never.
Always get milspec.

Don't buy a $1000 rifle and put on a $20 scope. Dont buy cheap scopes, not even for a little .22. It's not worth the aggravation.

[edit on 13/12/09 by PSUSA]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Yugoslavian AKs or anything else for that matter
If the gun came from any eastern European countries, avoid it like the plague.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Not on the same idea, but, do not buy old surplus ammo.

A few years back my father purchased about 10 ammo cases filled with bullets for our M1 Carbine he got from the Korean War.

Never had any problems with it until-one deer drive I was getting tired of doing all the driving so my friend drove and I switched to standing. So we swapped rifles. He got the M1 and I took his 30 06.

Well when he came out of the woods about 6 deer scattered I dropped one and Tim never shot. He was about 120 yards away and I did hear him say something.

He came up swearing, he said what the hell is wrong with your gun, it shot one bullet and than it jammed.

I never heard his shot. So I looked at the rifle and the slide on the top looked like it was closed but it was not. There was a fraction of a milimeter opening between the slide and the chamber.

It seems the bullet had just enough energy to push out of the casing and also enough energy to retract and pick up the next bullet from the clip.

If that bullet would have gone another .5 mm, that rifle would have exploded in his face.

We disassembled all of the bullets and than threw the brass away.

BE SAFE FIRST.

Never knew that about the old guns. But they are supposed to kept as investments, not for the use.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by PSUSA

Good point...
I once bought a drum mag for my little 10/22 because I thought it would look cool... I got like 4 rounds before the first jam that required a full disassembly of the mag to clear... I would end up filing and polishing the fed lips... I can get half a mag to fire but it still jams... I should take it to the next gun show and trade it off for something useful... but it looks so cool ...its hard to give up ya know

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
2nd vote for no Lorcins....

I sold guns for almost 20 years. Never buy anything made by Jennings, Bryco, Raven, Haskell, etc...

These guns were returned over & over again by customers. When you pull the trigger they may or may not fire.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Thanks for the reminder about old ammo...
I once had a very heart pumping moment with a 60 mm mortar round...
We dropped it in the tube... just knew it was going to be a short round... Duck and Cover... thank god we had sandbags...Landed maybe 50 feet out... later when we looked at the case we found it had been a left over from the early 60's the propellant had lost most of its umph... no one in the armory realized it got mixed in...

[edit on 13-12-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Man thats a trick question!!

Even a really bad gun, is better than no gun!

Those you have pics of there are damascus, I have a couple of old muzzle loadinding shot guns, that are wire wound around mandrels and silver soldered barrells...NEVER MEANT FOR SMOKELESS POWDER!
Even black powder was boarderline to much power for the way they were made!
16 guage and an 8 guage the 8 is 37 inchs of barrell.

I have one of the paper cartridge .22's the daisy made and sold in hardware stores long ago, bullets are surprisingly not hard to find, there is always a few at any gun show.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

I should have saved, and then framed, the piece of paper that came with that. It said how I was from that point on the owner of a weapon that would give me a lifetime of service, made of the very finest materials to exacting specifications, etc.

I bet they laughed their asses off when they wrote that.

I could get it to shoot, sometimes. But there was no telling where the round would hit. I just threw it in the river in disgust.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Any pistol made by RG!

RG's are more dangerous to the holder than the one in front! These are almost always revolvers. LOOSE revolvers!

Lorcin, Ravin, Haskell, ect. These are dangerous to keep cocked and locked because of the firing mechanism. No hammer, just a striker and a detent.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Most eastern european ak aren't that bad, Chinese made AK's are much better 1.5mm thick recievers vs 1 mm thick Euro's. , Higher quality, etc..
Stay away from WASR 10's unless you know what you're doing when it comes to AK's. Front sights may or not be straight, rear sights may or may not be straight, gas tubes may or may not be sraight. recoil springs rusted, scope mounting brackets not on straight, barrels packed with grease, non-matching numbers not uncommon among Euro AK's but will reduce value, (figure that into price). If buying a WASR 10 face to face and it has been re-fanged, make sure its 922r compliant. Also, and most importantly, make ABSOLUTELY sure there is no third hole above the mag release. this hole will be riveted, it is in front of the trigger group rivet and under a convex rivet. This hole was for the auto sear pin. This is considered a MACHINE GUN. ATF no like.

If you do happen to find a clean WASR that is decently built and legal it will only shoot 4-6" groups at 100yds.

So, if all you want is a cheap zombie-killer accurate to about 50 yds. Go for it. Otherwise, spend another 200 bucks and get a Chinese AK

edit: it doesn't matter if hole is riveted or not, welded or not if it was ever there illegal. Fortunatly, most have been found and are rare

[edit on 13-12-2009 by jacksmoke]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I must admit my first thought was any .25 auto. I also try to avoid odd calibers. If TSHTF and you need to scavange .32magnum H&R rounds you might be out of luck.

Also never buy a Davis P-32 or any of their guns. They were recalled for coming apart during firing. They were even sued for injuries that resulted during normal operation.

(edit to add a letter)

[edit on 14-12-2009 by MikeNice81]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
If you ever decide to buy an AR-15 stay away from Colt. Their tolerances are not mil-spec and some standard AR-15 parts will not work well with them, if they work at all. The fire control group on the Colt uses (or used to anyway) different size pins than a mil-spec AR-15. Other parts require adapters to get mil-spec parts to work on a Colt AR.

I haven't had great luck with Taurus handguns. Some people love them. Their customer service is terrible (not that it matters during SHTF). YMMV.

Hi-Point for the most part is junk. They do sell a 9mm carbine that has shot pretty well for me, but stay away from their handguns.

IMO your best way to determine gun quality, if you're not familiar with the brand/make/model you're about to purchase, is price. If the price is too good to be true it's probably junk. Don't expect rock-solid reliability and accuracy with a $90 used handgun. "Gun people" know what their stuff is worth.

If you see a price that's a steal at a gun show inspect your potential purchase thoroughly before buying. Bring a bore scope with you. Check for bulges in the barrel. I sometimes bring snap-caps with me so I can test out cycling of ammunition.

Don't go to a gun show or pawn shop with $XXX thinking you'll just buy what you can afford. Do your research first, then decide what gun(s) meet your needs for use and price. There's tons of information on the web for just about any gun you can imagine, take advantage of it!

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I know a lot of ladies enjoy the idea of a compact pistol, this is not a good idea if you want reliability over size. A 4.5 to 5 inch barrel will suffice smaller than that and you run
into jamming problems as the rest of the gun will probably be smaller too. You also have to worry about the integrity of the firing pin.

Do NOT buy Hi-Point firearms for any reason. They are known for pin
breaks and dangerous jams.

[edit on 13-12-2009 by projectvxn]

[edit on 13-12-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Can you post some back up info on this. I have never ran in to this problem when using quality guns and ammo.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I have carried and used a Para-Ordnance P-10 with a 3" barrel for YEARS until I just recently purchased the Sig GSR C3

I personally put over 2K rounds through this weapon with not one single malfunction.

I have also fired literally thousands of rounds through the 38 Chiefs Special, Bersa 380, Walther PPK etc

The size of the barrel has absolutely nothing to do with the reliability of the weapon.

Semper

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
good topic....I'm not a gun owner or user......went skeet shooting twice in my life ( not a bad shot i might add for only 2 times ) but all these stories of bad experiences with guns is just almost never talked about unless you are talking with people who know guns...

well this thread is for people who lack the knowledge.....which means, all this info is extremely useful if SHTF....

If it's a SHTF moment and then SRHTF ( S*** really hits the fan ) and your gun has something bad happen, be sure to at least carry a nice blade on you.....

That or at least a sling shot.........you may not kill your attacker, but you might make him think twice after he gets pelleted in the chest with a metal ball flying at 85-170 mph...

When used right, it is lethal......

Is it better to have a 99.999% reliable gun that is older, or a newer gun ?

I'm talking like what are the best of the best old guns to use that still fire like they did back then? and are those better to have then some random new pos ?

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

Is it better to have a 99.999% reliable gun that is older, or a newer gun ?

reliable.

guns, knives or any weapon that there is a possibility you might stake your life on it working.

In my earlier post, I wasn't trying to bash Ak's or even the WASR-10. always know what your buying. AK's are are one of the easiest and most reliable guns you can own or operate, but there are some of even these venerable weapons to steer clear of if you have a choice

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

The venerable and reliable old Revolver for a handgun

The wonderful and equally as reliable Bolt Action or Single Shot for a Rifle.

Hard to go wrong with those.

Now as for caliber or make, that is entirely dependent on personal preference.

Semper

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

I'm saying that the smaller the gun the more probability of a malfunction, especially among the cheaper weapons. I take this from personal experience. I've noted far more jams in compact pistols than in any other type of handgun. The closer the parts are together the more jamming takes place. Of course one could try to mitigate this by keeping the weapon well lubed, but that too has it's issues. The best I can say is keep to weapons that have enough space between the parts to avoid jams.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join