It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama addresses the Native American Indians

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by gazerstar

You are most welcome, thank you for your post.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I still can’t fig out how they come up with 3.4 billion and only distribute a small share of it, and with interest alone on 1000 dollars that they are paying out, prorated over the course of the law suit, should it not be much higher. But we will have to wait to see what happens as it passes through each step.

It would appear to me it is just another way for the white man to pat himself on the back, the people who got hurt by this wrong doing share in a 1.4b dollar pot. And the lawyers and politicians and what not get the large part the 2 billion left. Its just more of governmental math. Were 2+2 never equals 4.

[edit on 13-12-2009 by drmeola]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Actually the Native Americans I know are perfectly fine going by Indian. It didn't start off as an intentional slander, just a geological mistake.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by drmeola

And I didn't mean to offend you. But I think that the plight of the American Indian hasn't come far enough that jokes like that make it ok. Espeically in other parts of the country where they are pretty ignorant of the current way of life and still think Indians live in teepees and wear feathered headdresses.

I am not myself(not in recent ancestory anyways) but lived in the southwest for a couple of years with Navajo friends. My mother also works for the civil rights division and works hard to protect minority rights including Native American. And have had many friends of vanishing east coast tribes along the way.

Now lumping all tribes together would be like linking Europe alltogether. There are huge differences.

So I know that Indians are not thrilled with white man or federal government. Been on the receiving end of it a few times. Teh BOIA is a farse and a joke. The southwest friends I made were reluctant to befriend a white person. And even though we are all in teh same country, the differences in culture are world apart.

Its not just mainland, Samoan and Native Alaskans and Canadian suffer humiliations as well. There is so much wonder about the native Hawaiian population. Yet all we associate with them is the hula girl.
And they resented being made the 50th state. It was their island as far as they are concernced.
And it was discovered by whoever.

So I am totally aware of the injustices. My one friend had to go by bus 2 hours one way off the rez to get a decent education.

But one of the things I really like about Obama is that he has made a lot of headway in a short period of time. More then other presidents I think. You can never replace what the US has done, there isn't a remedy for that. But any progress is progress.

BTW, thanks for the info on an animal spirit. Though I have tried, I haven never figured mine out. *laughs* It must be very elusive whatever it is.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Hi nixie_nox,

I am not offended at all I love debate and controversy, If I am able to get under someone’s skin as it were and just for a second made them look inside themselves to me is a great thing. I never take anything personal, I know who I am and what I am and what I want out of life, and my wish is to get back to our land our glory days as they where, yes many tribal differences existed before white man, and some of those differences still excites.

But I believe in the end, and when there comes a great battle on this land as more blood is shed for one reason or another that us tribal members will be the ones to stand tall again. And when that day comes, after witnessing all the conflict that takes place on a daily bases in this county that we can put aside all difference that may have been between us in the past and truly come together for the good of all. Dream, maybe, but I pray not.

Oh and don’t sweat it about your spirit guide mine is suppose to be the beaver, but as of yet I have not made a spiritual contact with him either.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I'm curious... What percentage of American Indian do you have to be to get cut a check?? hehehehe... I'm probably going to miss out on this "stimulus" but it makes me think on top of Obama aiding with this money that in the future they might tax it right back out of everyone. As in "the money split up between the land owned" bit that you spoke of... isn't that taxable anyhow?

Great joke by the by, very much enjoyed it.

So i'm 1/36 i think Cherokee ... i'm not gonna get the $$ am I? merde...

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Choiseul

Sorry my friend you will not be getting a check only those who’s names appeared on the original suite and only a whopping 1000 dollars, and as many of them have passed on due mainly to age I am not even sure how many are left that would get a check.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
BTW, thanks for the info on an animal spirit. Though I have tried, I haven never figured mine out. *laughs* It must be very elusive whatever it is.

I know what you mean. I only saw & bookmarked the link a few hours ago & haven't been off the computer long enough to try...Yet. Best I've determined so far is that my Zodiac is the Salmon. However, perhaps your spirit animal relies on stealth & it takes more careful listening? As a Zen Buddhist might say, "Listen for the sound of one hand clapping."

The poem at the link was very good; As Indians might venerate the Great Spirit (as described in the poem), what is that spirit but the Laws of Nature in action? All of Nature from one source. Even the basis of the US Constitution was drafted & ratified with the Laws of Nature firmly in mind; The Common Law, which the Constitution upholds, takes Humans Rights right from the Laws of Nature. US Supreme Court rulings on the Common Law are also referred to as "Natural Law." I'd bet that the Indians wouldn't have had so much trouble if the Government Officers had actually stuck with their Oath of Office & obeyed the Constitution since the time it was ratified. Oh, they did okay at first, but creeping corruption set in & they've turned into a pack of criminals.

But is not the Great Spirit also the same (at least, too similar to be coincidental) as the Creator God of many other religions all over the world? Such a pity that so many religions start with the same core belief of existence, yet when organized religions get big enough, cause so much strife among the rest of humanity...All over some minor differences in the details. They tend to set their doctrines in stone, so to speak, but the Laws of Nature are never that static. It seems that creeping corruption sets in with religion too.

Why is it that the jerkwads in this world always seem to find ways to get you, coming & going?

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Not to look insensitive but exatly when did the american indians loose their pride? I kind of always looked up to them and the way they look at life and spirtuality but to be honest this whole give me a hand out thing kind of tarnishes that. I am sure if they hold out their hands far enough they can get alot from this adminstration. But the truth is they are only using them to stir the pot.

[edit on 14-12-2009 by Subjective Truth]

[edit on 14-12-2009 by Subjective Truth]

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightDStroyer

Hello midnightdstroyer,

As always nice job on the post, and yes I agree all people of all religions have the same foundation, its only when man rewrites it to add into that foundation laws of there own for there own agenda. Well done my friend.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

Hi subjective truth,

I believe we went through a very dark time, booze ran rapid on the reservations our over all spirit was down at its lowest point in history, but many saw that this was a problem and left the reservations for a better life. And this issue has finally been put behind us, you can go to any powwow and see how the spirit pride has grown, as we get back to our roots to each individual tribes culture if you will.

For me, and me alone I can’t speak for other’s, it is not the money that is the issue, the land is more important and our freedom to use the land in away that we have been taught by our ancestors. The money I look at as an apology for a great injustice that was done to the red man. I see more and more videos from the white man on youtube. Giving thanks to the Native Americans and apologies for what was done and how it was done. This apology comes from a new generation to a new generation, the people directly involved has long since past. But it is a welcoming relief just to know other’s are reaching out as it where. And I feel, a simple “I’m sorry” goes a long way.

Well that’s my ramble for this morning.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by drmeola

This OP is really inappropriate. My family are Native American. They are NOT Indian!

There is no such thing as a "Native American Indian."

Indians are native to India. "Native American" should be self-explanatory.

How old are you?

Did your special ed classes include American History, Geography, or "Social Studies'?

Deny ignorance.

jw

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Thank you for your reply and I am glad to hear this. Like I said I have alot of respect for a people based in respect. It is sad to the current PTB using the cause for their own means.

[edit on 16-12-2009 by Subjective Truth]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by drmeola

Like Jdub, I am somewhat skeptical that you are a real Native American.

It seems to me the purpose of this thread is to dump on president Obama.

The fact is, his administration, while probably not doing nearly enough, has made more effort to reach out to Native Americans than probably any other administration in American history. Granted, that doesn't make him immune from jokes and criticism and it doesn't necessarily make him a great hero either.

But if all effort at making amends is scorned then where does that leave us?

Are Native Americans and black and white people going to be enemies forever?

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

The simple answer to your question is yes we will always fight each other. And no amount of bleeding heart politically correct bullsh*t will stop it. You sound like a young person full of ideals and the fire in you belly to make things right. You are the very people that are going to pull our country and others into complete chaos. Maybe you should take a look at the Indians who would they choose to run the tribe they would pick the oldest and wisest or the strongest. And to say we should give them more and we are not doing enough for them is CRAP what are they retards? They have the same rights and chance to succeed we all do. And I hate to break it to you but Obama could give two sh*ts about the Indians he just wants to use them to look good. You can not judge a person by what he says he is going to do but what he actually does. I know this post sounds harsh but many good intentions have very bad outcomes just look at history and you will see the truth.

[edit on 23-12-2009 by Subjective Truth]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join