It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama addresses the Native American Indians

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
OBAMA was invited to address a major gathering of the American Indian Nation two weeks ago in up state New York .

HE spoke for almost an hour on HIS future plans for increasing every Native American's present standard of living, since he has now become the President.

HE referred to his career as a Senator, how he had signed 'YES' for every Indian issue that came to his desk for approval.

Although President Obama was vague on the details of his plan, he seemed most enthusiastic about HIS future ideas for helping HIS 'red sisters and brothers'.

At the conclusion of his speech, the Tribes presented Obama with a plaque inscribed with his new Indian name - "Walking Eagle".

The proud President then departed in his motorcade, waving to the crowds.

A news reporter later inquired to the group of chiefs of how they came to select the new name they had given to the President.
They explained that "Walking Eagle" is the name given to a bird so full of # it can no longer fly!!

www.huntinvest.com...

a joke maybe but here is the real story:

Ok I got in trouble I thought the huntinvest link was sufficient to show the joke side, instead of using snopes.
But the true story is found in the links below and it has to do with the court case settlement as reported by the people whom brought the case to begin with and the New York Times response to the case.

www.indiancountrytoday.com...
The Department of the Interior announced Dec. 8 that it had negotiated a settlement to the Cobell v. Salazar litigation, which could amount to a $1.4 billion payback to Indian plaintiffs involved in the case.

www.nytimes.com...
WASHINGTON — The federal government announced on Tuesday that it intends to pay $3.4 billion to settle claims that it has mismanaged the revenue in American Indian trust funds, potentially ending one of the largest and most complicated class-action lawsuits ever brought against the United States.
Each member of the class would receive a check for $1,000, and the rest of the money would be distributed according to the land owned. In addition, legal fees, to be determined by a judge, would be paid from that fund.

[edit on 13-12-2009 by drmeola]

Mod Edit: Posting work written by others, please review this link
mod edit, to add link to story
www.snopes.com...

[edit on Sun Dec 13 2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by drmeola
They explained that "Walking Eagle" is the name given to a bird so full of # it can no longer fly!!

LMAO when I was reading this I was thinking why would Obama promise Native Americans this when he cannot fulfill his promise to regular Americans...then I see the punch line.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I am still lol, who says my brothers don’t have a sense of humor. I still am tracking this whole 3 billion dollar return of our money, not sure where or how it is going or being distributed. But will see. Still the funniest thing I have read in a long time.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Since I dated (past tense-we broke up amicably) an Ojibwa(Chippewa for us white folk) Lady for 6 years, I have come to respect her traditions. I met a lot of her family (very close knit family) and grew to enjoy our gatherings. That being said, wonderful joke, I think I am going to call a few of them and tell them it.

Anyway, one of my favorite vids from cinema. In the movie The Outlaw Josie Wales.

I am surprised Obama did not break out that line, or maybe he is saving it for the rest of us.

Here is the clip-

Endeavor to persevere.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Thank you for your post, and the video link

Many of us our trying to get back to our roots, the Blackfeet tribe in Montana has a fully staffed tribal school were only the native tongue is spoken to help teach the old ways to our children, we are loosing our wise ones because of age. But there sons have been taught the simple life of the Indians ways. One such person whom I have great admiration for and have met on a couple of occasions is Jack Gladstone, a music writer performer and producer has a degree in history. Here is a link to his site and his music, he tells the stories in an honest way, and in the style that honors his people.

www.jackgladstone.com...

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by drmeola

What kind of breaking political news is it? There are no links or sources to the story

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

www.indiancountrytoday.com...

Obama administration moves to settle Cobell
By Rob Capriccioso
Story Published: Dec 8, 2009
Story Updated: Dec 8, 2009
WASHINGTON – The Obama administration has taken a definitive step to settle a long-running trust mismanagement class action lawsuit involving hundreds of thousands of Native Americans.

The Department of the Interior announced Dec. 8 that it had negotiated a settlement to the Cobell v. Salazar litigation, which could amount to a $1.4 billion payback to Indian plaintiffs involved in the case.

“We are here today to right a past wrong,” Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said during a briefing on the plan held at Interior headquarters.

My bad, the gathering was in regards to the court case.

mod edit, external quote code added

[edit on Sun Dec 13 2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I just found this on youtube, and admittances of wrongs and an apology worth the watch.

i cant get the video to post so here is the full link, i think i got it this time.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by drmeola

Really, you have any proof of this? Sounds like a tacky bar joke to me.

Just what tribe coined this term, since all tribes don't use animal names.

This is offensive to Indians and to people like me who had to read this garbage.

I propose mods move this to the jokes forum on bts.

[edit on 13-12-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

You are entitled to your opinion like all of us, but I am and Native American Indian, I find it very humorous, since the real story is posted below as they try to buy our silence again with settlement of the court case. Buy hey thank you for your post.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   

here are just some of the comments made by tribal members,
4:37 PM Rick from Laguna wrote ...Native Americans managment of thar own lands hmmmmmmm.

Inappropriate? Alert Us!

4:00 PM kanaratanoron bear clan five nation wrote ...Native land`s our mother earth is not forsale for any amount it is not your`s nor my to put a figure on her the next generation and the next after that 1000 wow that`s all.I spent that in one day in white man`s law`s imposed on me and my people suffer everyday from whiteman`s law`s.ASK the people of this turtle island our mother earth is it eough sell your right`s why not land`s instead of money`s settle for land it will alway`s be here long after you?????????? for the future of our children XX

Inappropriate? Alert Us!

Saturday, Dec 12 at 12:34 AM granddaughter of a cherokee wrote ...and of coarse they are gonna tax every bit of the money, if anyone ever even sees it.

Inappropriate? Alert Us!

Friday, Dec 11 at 7:12 PM Anonymous wrote ...What about the Freedmen - the black Indians who were spit out and left to die. Their children can not even get an Indian enrollment. Come on Black Freedmen. Let us file. Pass the law Congress.

Inappropriate? Alert Us!

Friday, Dec 11 at 12:21 AM Colville lady wrote ...Its important to recognize this is not about the $$ but about the government taking responsibility for transgressions against native people..its a step in the right direction. Great respect to those who never gave up the fight- corbel and followers.

Inappropriate? Alert Us!

Thursday, Dec 10 at 10:16 PM Melinda J G Hyman wrote ...Thank you Elouise I know your ancestors are so happy.I am glad you didn't stop the struggle the world needs more people like you & me.I am also fighting a similar case but I can't get representation.And it forces my family to be pro se and keep up with the timelines as the legal system trys make me tired but that won't work.

Inappropriate? Alert Us!

Thursday, Dec 10 at 3:32 PM Michael Mack wrote ...Eloise Cobell is one of my heroes - she educated herself on the facts, worked with tribes, sacrificed her own time and comfort to take on the biggest messiest bureaucracy that has ever existed in modern times - the U.S. government. Yes, the amount settled upon is a joke, but given the full-picture of the economic and political realities of the U.S. government, that amount is probably as best as can be expected, sad to say.

Inappropriate? Alert Us!

Thursday, Dec 10 at 2:31 PM Nish wrote ...Obama is dangerous in that he fooled us into actually believing him... He is a puppet of Wall Street and the military industrial complex.

Inappropriate? Alert Us!

Thursday, Dec 10 at 1:30 PM David Eli Guardipee,Blackfeet,member. wrote ...Oki my Relative's in Browning,oldNapi still lives,$1000.don't do much gee who care's anyway it would be nice to icefish or trap on the land my Father Stanley,Cholate,Guardipeeleased out to DR.Bacon for 99 years yup it would be nice to camp on Milk River,all my relative's .

Inappropriate? Alert Us!

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   

You made the comment that not all tribes use animal names, I know that my knowledge is only of a handful of tribes mainly in the south eastern states, and as far as I am aware all spirit guilds are animals. I am not speaking about the name given like Tom or James, and if in some way I have dishonored you and your tribe my apologies. But in times like these it is good to have a sense of humor, in the hopes that all our tribes will once be reunited. So many of the smaller tribes have come together under the Seminoles whom as of this time has yet to sign any treaty with the white man.

www.native-languages.org...

Here they list the original tribes of Florida and how they have gathered and united under the Seminoles.

So again my apologies to your people, insult was not the intent.
May Father Sun and Mother Earth continue to bless your tribe.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
This article claims 3.4 Billion settlement in the case.

WASHINGTON — The federal government announced on Tuesday that it intends to pay $3.4 billion to settle claims that it has mismanaged the revenue in American Indian trust funds, potentially ending one of the largest and most complicated class-action lawsuits ever brought against the United States.

Walking eagle...that is is funny though ! But All joking and political pandering aside.
I feel that this is a landmark lawsuit for the Native peoples, first filed in 1996, we didn't see Bill Clinton or Dubya helping this matter who didn't care and or take action it's good to see a president that even listens for a change.

This is what Attorney General Holder said: “The United States could have continued to litigate this case, at great expense to the taxpayers. It could have let all of these claims linger, and could even have let the problem of fractionated land continue to grow with each generation. But with this settlement, we are erasing these past liabilities and getting on track to eliminate them going forward.”

My great grandfather walked to Texas from the Choctaw reservation in Oklahoma to find work as a lumber jack. This being due to the fact that there was no work on the reservation and only lots of govt sponsored poverty and despair. God Bless him for taking the initiative to leave ... I have a better life because of it.
But I am very VERY proud of my Native heritage.

Original NYT article:
www.nytimes.com...

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   

www.xtraastrology.com...

Discover your spirit guide

Native American Indian cultures believe that a person is joined with an animal spirit guide at the time of birth.
This animal will accompany the person throughout their life as a spiritual navigator and invisible companion. A spiritual conselor who will always be there to bring you confidence and give you hope.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by nh_ee

Thank you for the post that is exactly the article I was looking for but had trouble finding it than got distracted by other posters and didn’t get back to the search. But yes this exactly what point I was trying to make. I also added your link to the top beginning thread to make easier to find. Thanks again.

I to admire your story of your grandfather, and I am honored to have met you on this thread.

Here is something I wanted to share with all of you and encourage others to embrace once again there true nature.

Sioux Prayer

Translated by Chief Yellow Lark - 1887
Oh, Great Spirit, whose voice I hear in the winds
Whose breath gives life to the world, hear me
I come to you as one of your many children
I am small and weak
I need your strength and wisdom

May I walk in beauty
Make my eyes ever behold the red and purple sunset.
Make my hands respect the things you have made
And my ears sharp to your voice.
Make me wise so that I may know the things you have taught your children.

The lessons you have written in every leaf and rock
Make me strong--------!
Not to be superior to my brothers, but to fight my greatest enemy....myself

Make me ever ready to come to you with straight eyes,
So that when life fades as the fading sunset,
May my spirit come to you without shame.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Well that's nice.

I certainly hope he didn't called them "Native American Indians", since they aren't.

Indians are from India.

They are just Native Americans...

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

en.wikipedia.org...

Native Americans in the United States are the indigenous peoples from North America now encompassed by the continental United States, including parts of Alaska and the island state of Hawaii. They comprise a large number of distinct tribes, states, and ethnic groups, many of which survive as intact political communities. The terminology used to refer to Native Americans is controversial.
Application of the term "Indian" originated with Christopher Columbus, who thought that he had arrived in the East Indies, while seeking Asia. This has served to imagine a kind of racial or cultural unity for the aboriginal peoples of the Americas. Once created, the unified "Indian" was codified in law, religion, and politics. The unitary idea of "Indians" was not originally shared by indigenous peoples, but many over the last two centuries have embraced the identity.

So I agree with your statement but I also as my family has done so embraced the title of Indian. Though I agree we are not from India, the word itself has inspired and brings about familiararity to those whom are not as educated on this very subject. Thank you for your post.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Many of us our trying to get back to our roots, the Blackfeet tribe in Montana has a fully staffed tribal school were only the native tongue is spoken to help teach the old ways to our children, we are loosing our wise ones because of age. But there sons have been taught the simple life of the Indians ways.

Kudos are due! One thing about modern people that I find sad is that they tend to lose their path in history & can't find their way on the path into the future. I'm a student of history (not "formally" educated beyond basic schools, but I read a lot on my own) & I listen to those elders that have lived a history I've never seen; My Grandfather, over from Germany as Hitler was beginning his rise to power, for one example...Granted, with my Granddad, I was a bit young to understand what we had talked about, but I like to think I've been successful in making up for lost time since then.

Even with all that the White Devil had wrongly done to the Natives, I still have to laugh to myself as I realize that they have had at least some measure of vengeance by introducing tobacco to the White Man.

So it was the White Devil who wronged the Red Man...The way Obama has thus far broken his campaign promises so readily, it seems that now the Black Devil seeks to balance the scales on the White Devil...

Ok, before anyone accuses me of being "racist" against any of the "colors" I've mentioned, please note that it's been the Whites that have received the poison in my tongue (poison in my keyboard?). But, being a White myself (What? You didn't notice that I've already said my Granddad came from Germany? Shame on you!
) doesn't mean that I'm blind to our faults; This is due to my own studies in history.

To be smart, I'd suggest that the Natives don't accept payment in Federal Reserve Notes...Demand silver or gold (or anything that has intrinsic value beyond its "perceived" value) or even the lands stolen, otherwise the wiseacres in government who think that the rest of the world is too dumb to survive will have yet another laugh at the everyone else's expense.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   

www.xtraastrology.com...

Discover your spirit guide

Native American Indian cultures believe that a person is joined with an animal spirit guide at the time of birth.
This animal will accompany the person throughout their life as a spiritual navigator and invisible companion. A spiritual conselor who will always be there to bring you confidence and give you hope.

Thank you so much for that link. It is chock full of interesting information. The Sioux Prayer is beautiful also. Great thread too! I'm still laughing at the joke. I can't wait to share it.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Obama did not vote yes for every Indian issue that came to his desk for approval. In fact he didn't vote at all. Check the record under Indigenous Peoples little over half way down the page.

www.votesmart.org...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join