It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Was This Picture Taken?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Thank you all for the great input. I created the thread out of curiosity, and I can now leave satisfied. This is what makes ATS such a great place. Thanks again, I appreciate all of you taking the time to explain what is happening in this photo.

Cheers,
Strype

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Strype

Glad we could help mate!

Have a good chrissy!

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime
reply to post by Chadwickus

Good investigating Chad

But how did the sun get that freaking big? If i compare it to any given sunrise i have seen on my part of the hemisphere i can't say i have ever seen it that big. (taken into account of course that "big" is pretty relative but if i compare it to surrounding structures in the pic. it still seems bigger then any sun i've ever seen.)

Peace and respect.

You use a lens longer than 2000 mm in focal length. Distance is compressed and distant objects like the sun and moon become larger than life. As a photographer for 40 years, I can say that picture could not have been taken with an 80mm lens. The sun and moon would be much, much, smaller.....Or it has been PHOTOSHOPPED.

[edit on 12-25-2009 by groingrinder]

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

No way is that 2000mm.

When was the last time you saw a 2000mm lens for sale?

Probably an 800mm, and someone left out a "0" in the description.

Edit to add:

A 2000mm lens would have a horizontal field of view of 0.8 degrees. You can check this yourself by plugging in the focal length here.

The Sun and Moon measure about 0.5 degrees, so almost the full frame would be taken up by the Moon in the horizontal direction with a 2000mm lens.

Using the calculator I linked to above, and plugging in 800mm gives a horizontal field of view of 2.3 degrees, or a bit under 5 times the width of the Sun/Moon, which works out about right for the picture if you take into account that the atmosphere distorts our view of the Sun/Moon, making them appear "squashed" when they are this low on the horizon.

[edit on 25-12-2009 by C.H.U.D.]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join