It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Was This Picture Taken?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I'm not sure that I'm posting this in the correct forum, but I couldn't find a better place. Feel free to move it if necessary.

I'm just curious as to whether or not this picture is enhanced or natural?

If it isn't enhanced, I'd like to know what effect is causing the moon (sun?) to appear so large in this picture. I honestly hope this isn't a stupid question with an obvious answer. I just stumbled across it on a "Post Your Favorite Natural Pictures" thread and became curious. If anybody has any input, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Strype

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
It is quite obviously enhanced, im pretty sure it's is near impossible for either the sun or moon to appear that large naturally.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Crescent: Solar Eclipse

Large Sun: Zoom in with camera

[edit on 12/13/2009 by EnlightenUp]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I think it is a picture of the new Baluva ICBM missile.

Those damn Russians always messing up their tests.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
I think it is a picture of the new Baluva ICBM missile.

Those damn Russians always messing up their tests.

Now that you mentioned it, I took a closer look and of course you are right! Please disregard my previous post. It's still early here.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I have a solution.

Ever notice when looking at the moon, how it appears larger when observed close to the horizon? Because its an optical illusion.

The same is happening here:
When the sun is closer to the horizon, it appears larger. Thus, the camera-man took the picture with a lower approach angle at the horizon, and giving the sun its huge appearance. Probably zoomed too, but then the dock and boats would appear larger too. The partial eclipse taking place makes this picture all that much better.

Happens alot in photographs. Nothing unusual. You can find alot of pictures just like this with a quick search. Well, you might not find too many eclipse pictures like this...

Definitely a cool pic!

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Well, the reflection in the water does not match up with sun/moon placement. There is no 'white/bright/ colors in the reflection..

And it looks like it is the wrong size and in the wrong place.
Composite maybe..?

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChemBreather
Well, the reflection in the water does not match up with sun/moon placement. There is no 'white/bright/ colors in the reflection..

Composite maybe..?

Some searching for various pictures of the sun at the horizon over water will reveal that there isn't always a bright reflection of it showing in the water. Somewhat rough water spreads that out and deflects the light from the camera.

In other words, it's not a dead giveaway at all. There is a trace of reflection anyway. Size and position can be accounted for by zoom and pan.

What actually looks manipulated is the coloring and brightness. It might have been shot through a filter to attenuate the light.

[edit on 12/13/2009 by EnlightenUp]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:30 AM
link   
It is a real photograph:

What's happened to the setting Sun? An eclipse! Two days ago, the Moon eclipsed part of the Sun as visible from parts of Africa, Australia, and Asia. In particular the above image, taken from the Mall of Asia seawall, caught a partially eclipsed Sun setting over Manila Bay in the Philippines. Piers are visible in silhouette in the foreground.

apod.nasa.gov...

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Good investigating Chad

But how did the sun get that freaking big? If i compare it to any given sunrise i have seen on my part of the hemisphere i can't say i have ever seen it that big. (taken into account of course that "big" is pretty relative but if i compare it to surrounding structures in the pic. it still seems bigger then any sun i've ever seen.)

Peace and respect.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I have gotton very lucky to see a phonama related to this once in my life .
but it was the moon that looked even LARGER then that .
It was one of the most ammazing things i have ever seen .
so heres how the effect is created .
under certian atspher conductions the atspher accets as a magnifi glass and enlarges the moon sun to apper MUCH MUCH larger then they accutly are this can only happen at sun moon rise or set as thats when the moon sun are at an accute angel to the earths curverhter .
in other words the earth is round and as it rotates the angel of the light reaching earth hits the curve at the correct angel that the curve would be like the same curve of a magnifing glass . causing a magnifing effect.
ps the moon at that time LOOKED as if it took up Half the comming nights sky MUCH MUCH larger then that sun photo. looked as if i could reach up and touch it just like the scifi movies that diktate a planet that is much closer to each other it was way cool.
www.nasa.gov... ps the photo is facked as this is a isslusion that can only bee seen by the eye its self not a camra so no photos can be taken of it the link explanes it .

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Strype

I have been told in the past that if conditions are right, the atmosphere will act as a magnifying glass. I have seen a few incredible moon rises, where the moon was huge, and always figured it was the magifying glass phenomenon. I have never seen a sunrise or set like this though. Pretty incredible.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime
Good investigating Chad

But how did the sun get that freaking big?...

Probably by using a telephoto lens.

[edit on 12/13/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChemBreather

Composite maybe..?

From someone who's tried and failed may times to capture a sun set on film it looks right.. from a none pro perspective.. the sun would be super bright so to compensate everything else would be severely underexposed... a composite/doctored photo would have equal tones and a balanced (not dark) overall feel...

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Harvest Moon is common and can look very large.....

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
The sun/moon has been increased in size and pasted in position. There are examples of artifacts round the sun that are not in the rest of the photograph.

Being a professional photographer it is a method of enhancement I use regularly.

respects

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by captiva

No doubt what you say has happened in other pictures but I don't think there is too much manipulation to this one.

I hope you checked out the link I supplied above, it has a link to the full resolution image.

Direct link here:

apod.nasa.gov...

The caption say:

Camera: EOS 50d, Lens 80mm f 6.8 William optics ZS-80edii, Mount: Orion EQ-2

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Chad you're so polite, and nice find on the original photo.

Most of the magnification is from the telephoto lens but during an eclipse, aren't the moon and the sun about the same size? The fact that the sun seems noticeably larger than the moon in this photo suggests to me that maybe there is some scattering of the sun's light in the atmosphere causing a slight magnification. But otherwise the large appearance is the horizon illusion and the result of the telephoto lens.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

The January 26th eclipse was an annular eclipse. The Moon's orbit is not circular. An annual eclipse is seen when the moon is closer to the Earth and does not cover the full disk of the Sun.

erm..further.

[edit on 12/14/2009 by Phage]

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks, I had seen images like this one:

www.farmersalmanac.com...

Showing a slight difference but the photo in the OP has the biggest difference I've seen. The one you linked to is pretty substantial also.

Thanks for the info.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join