It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Houston elects openly Gay Mayor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Houston elects openly Gay Mayor

www.reuters.com

HOUSTON (Reuters) - Houston Saturday became the first major U.S. city to elect an openly gay mayor, Annise Parker, after a hotly contested run-off election that gave gay and lesbian supporters a symbolic victory following defeats over legalizing same-sex marriages in California and Maine.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.khou.com

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
This is absolutely amazing, not only that it occurred in Houston, America's fourth largest city, but that it happened in Texas, a solidly 'Red' state! Perhaps there is still a chance for us to live up to the promise of our Founding Fathers and the principles on which this country was founded.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
WHAT!?!?! Texas Did What?!?!?

Shame on you Texas, dont you know that you are supposed to be the people who hate gays, minorities, and every other type of bs label out there? Dont you know there is an election commin in three years??

This isnt right, this is not what I have been learning from CNN MSNBC and other liberal media. Either the people of Texas are going crazy, or all of those youtube and MSM videos I see of people calling southerners racist warmongering, gun toting, homophobic, rednecks who cling to their guns and religion are lying to me. Which could it be, which could it be?

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Why is this on ATS? This is in no way a conspiracy or even related to one, Good for Texas and the people of that city, I know the rest of the country does not care about the sexual orintation of a mayor just that he/she will do a good job.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   
This makes me wonder what principles the country was founded... on second thought I don't want to know.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Gays and Lesbians are Americans too.

Good for Houston.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
What's the point of this thread? How is it Above Top Secret? This isn't the first time an openly gay mayor is elected...
This site is already drowning under irrelevant threads, let's not add to it please.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Breizhoo
What's the point of this thread? How is it Above Top Secret? This isn't the first time an openly gay mayor is elected...
This site is already drowning under irrelevant threads, let's not add to it please.

As was pointed out somewhat by Common Good, this does show that the reddest of states can act outside the box of what the MSM portrays.

It's further evidence that the whole "us vs. them "left vs. right" is actually quite a bit more blurred than what many are led to believe. George Bush is a Texan that wanted to amend the Constitution to discriminate against gays, and here we have his fellow Texans electing someone to a powerful office who flies in the face of what Bush believed.

Anyway, congrats to the new mayor. It was a dirty race, funded with large amounts of religious conservative cash, that sought to smear her as someone who was "part of the homosexual agenda". They actually sent out mailers urging people not to vote because she is a homosexual. Good for Houston for seeing past the smears.

On a side note: I live in Dallas and we elected our first lesbian county sheriff recently, and an openly gay city councilman narrowly lost the race for mayor of the city. Wouldn't that be interesting if a state that consistently voted hard Republican had elected 2 gay politicians to head up the largest cities in the state (not to mention both are top 10 largest in the country)?

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Repeat after me class...

WHO CARES

This is not the medieval ages, burning homosexuals is no longer a tradition - even though American conservatives will not doubt justify such actions.

Gays can hold public office

[edit on 13-12-2009 by infinite]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   
No disrespect, but curious as to why this is news of any sort.

But hey, if its news its news.

Peace.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Avenginggecko

As was pointed out somewhat by Common Good, this does show that the reddest of states can act outside the box of what the MSM portrays.

I understand now ; being not American I lacked the cultural references that present Texas as a backwater state.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Breizhoo

Just to clarify further, the "red" doesn't mean backwater, it means more republican political party leaning than democratic, and the republican party has a reputation for being more conservative and supportive of the Bible which would seem to condemn homosexuality. In contrast, the democratic-leaning states are often shown in blue.

I'm not sure this is really news but it is a sign that attitudes toward homosexuality may be changing, as years ago this would have been bigger news.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Both the nominees were less than I would like (sexuality not a factor). Parker's big showdown is gonna come when she tries to get rid of the Police Chief. There's gonna be a lot of fireworks there.

TPTB love the whole homosexual issue, it divides the people and keeps them bickering.

Peace

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Mod note: I moved the thread from Breaking Alternative News to Breaking Political News, so hopefully that will settle that issue. -- Majic

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
People ask why this is news. Are you American? From a SOLID Red state? This IS news. It means that the righteous right are either losing their grip or they are getting with the 21st century. In most countries this isn't news, sure isn't in Canada but damn, this happened in a Red state. Good news imo.

new topics

top topics

join