It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SATA Hard Drive Question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
My laptop motherboard fried. I took out the SATA laptop hard drive out and I am wondering how I can hook it up to my desktop computer which uses the standard IDE drives. Is there a adapter plug or a pci card that will allow me to hook it up to recover my files? What do I need to hook this thing up ?

[edit on 13-12-2009 by wiredamerican]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
www.newegg.com...

www.newegg.com...

www.newegg.com...

www.newegg.com... igurator=&Subcategory=410&description=sata+to+pci&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

I use the sata to usb (first link) daily.

[edit on 12/13/2009 by staple]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
i found this by doing a google search on: 2.5 sata external usb drive
i'm sure you can find similar products from other manufacturers or at your nearest computer supply shop.

Coolgear’s enclosure is about the cheapest you’ll find at the moment. However, that doesn’t mean it’s crappy. The enclosure comes with a carrying bag, a screw driver for installation, its special USB cable, and a driver disk for older Windows computers. The enclosure looks very sleek also

CaveMonkey

Slip your spare hard drives into this USB dock and it mounts as an available volume on your Windows, Mac OS, or Linux computer via either a USB or an eSATA connector.

ThinkGeek

best of luck!

[edit on 12.17.09 by toreishi]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
The USB one is the best bet, I have both USB and 2.5 to 3.5... With the USB jobbie you actually have make yourself a portable hard drive as a bonus, so it's a great way of having X amount of gigabytes that you can carry around in your pocket - just don't knock it heavily, they don't like that.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by wiredamerican

Why not get a SATA/IDE to usb adapter from an online computer store like Tiger Direct?
Thats one of the neatest gadgets I've ever purchased.

www.tigerdirect.com...

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
With all due respect to all the other helpful responce, this is some examples of exactly what you need.

A simple sata drive to IDE controller converter:
www.nextag.com...

There are many variations of this, go to the link and read/look and price check.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by wiredamerican

There probably is an IDE to SATA adapter, I can't say for sure.

I would recommend you ask a friend who has a newer desktop PC that you can plug the drive straight into.

On later PC's there is quite often an external SATA connection so you wouldn't even have to open the case.

new topics

top topics

join