It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you believe our consciouness lives on after death?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by 13579

I think I understand where you're going with that. So, when I die, I become the mirror of myself that I created when I observed myself?

Is that anything like the Schrodinger's Cat theory? Or expanded theory, where things only exist when we observe them? I've always been fascinated by that theory.

Thanks for your input for me!

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jools
reply to post by hautmess

Well, my friend...it is pretty silent...The embalmers do an excellent job....
what can I say...this is pretty raw to me...and I have yet to feel something spiritual on dealing with it....

Maybe I am the best person to deal with the job I do...like I say...I do not feel anything.....maybe I have a problem...or I am the best person for the job given my approach....

and yet...as my Dad died...I wish I had some kind of knowledge that he`s ok...and that there`s something beyond our time here on Earth or whatever...it would give us some security...x

ask yourself if you believe you can feel something spiritual. have you tried? or do you choose that it is something that cannot happen to you?

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Faiol

I mean .... I got u but, whats outside the universe? I mean, whats the point to make us live and then just die for nothing

that doesnt explain life ... really

you can say you will make the human race live forever having children but really, thats bull#, why would I care if I just die and nothing happens

thats a good question and I dont think we will be able to answer

I dont believe in any religion but I do believe that something SHOULD happen ... we all are energy, that we know, maybe our brain energy gets transformed in something else, who knows, maybe its game over and we wake up in some video game party .. really, there's no way to know

but I will say again, I think its stupid to live thinking when u die u are over, and nothing else matters ...

if thats true then you just dont really need to live, life wont matter anyway

That is amazingly bleak. I think the fact that life ends is a good reason to do everything possible to enjoy yourself, make the world better and generally cherish the brief existence you have. I think this is why religion arose because many people couldn't handle the idea of no life after death, it's a comfort blanket.

I think every generation has something to offer, to improve life for the ones to come. Advancing knowledge and reaching for the stars. Saying "why should i care because i'll be dead" is incredibly selfish. You should care for others, even generations not yet born not just be centered on yourself.

Originally posted by Faiol

I mean .... I got u but, whats outside the universe? I mean, whats the point to make us live and then just die for nothing

that doesnt explain life ... really

Outside the universe? Well there are many theories including a multiverse theory. You ask what the point to make us live...........well that requires a creator for their to be a grand point and not simply a point devised by each individual for themselves.

Abiogenesis will one day be completely understood but that explains how and not why. Again a why would need a creator that had a purpose. As there is no evidence for a creator, there is no grand purpose for your life and we have found no mechanism by which life goes on after death.

If you want to see that as scary and become apathetic then that's up to you but many others see it as inspiring.

[edit on 14-12-2009 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I really am surprised at how many people believe our consciousness continues after death. I can only assume that most of these people have strong religious views.

One user said it's impossible to know and I agree with this. But in my opinion when we die our brain activity stops and we're dead, deceased, kaput, worm food. Game over, Man!

I don't think it's a hard concept to grasp and is nothing to be feared.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   

I think every generation has something to offer, to improve life for the ones to come. Advancing knowledge and reaching for the stars. Saying "why should i care because i'll be dead" is incredibly selfish. You should care for others, even generations not yet born not just be centered on yourself.

Why? Why should I care for a future generation that I am not going to be a part of? Or why should I work hard in my life to improve the world for a future generation that I am not going to be a part of?

The truth is the world is a very unfair and cruel place where few people in the world enjoy it all, most of which inherit it directly and most people live in dire poverty or struggle to make ends meet. Most of the world is ravaged by war, inequality, prejudice etc. Also your life could always be cut short at the hand of another. A criminal on the street, a politician sending you to war, an accident caused by somebody else. Why then spend your life trying to bring about social change when more likely than not you yourself will not be there to enjoy those changes? Sorry I can't see any valid reason why I should not be selfish.

[edit on 14-12-2009 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo_Child
Why? Why should I care for a future generation that I am not going to be a part of? Or why should I work hard in my life to improve the world for a future generation that I am not going to be a part of?

I don't really know how to anser other than to say it's a very selfish attitude to not care about others. If everyone thought this way then no one would give up their life to save another or to win a battle in an important war. However consider this instead. You could make the world you live in better in some way, either big or small, that would have benefits for you right now. Whether it is simply the gratifying experience of helping someone directly or indirectly.

Still i am unable to comprehend why someone would not want to make the future better for others.

The truth is the world is a very unfair and cruel place where few people in the world enjoy it all, most of which inherit it directly and most people live in dire poverty or struggle to make ends meet. Most of the world is ravaged by war, inequality, prejudice etc. Also your life could always be cut short at the hand of another. A criminal on the street, a politician sending you to war, an accident caused by somebody else. Why then spend your life trying to bring about social change when more likely than not you yourself will not be there to enjoy those changes? Sorry I can't see any valid reason why I should not be selfish.

So you couldn't help in a local community project of your choosing, making your local area better and therefore reaping the rewards? You cannot help locally just for the nice feeling of helping another? And no before you ask i am neither a hippy or a liberal using the old "lets all just hug and be happy" mentality.

Of course my life could be cut short and that is why i enjoy it to the best of my ability as i was trying to say you could also. You can enjoy your life whilst bringing about change. You don't have to make it monumental change, lots of small changes by lots of people do add up, even in a local area.

The irony of your post is kind of funny. You talk about war, criminals, politicians etc being all bad and horrible parts of society without realising that if more people took an active roll to help change things, even small things then these problems could be greatly reduced.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 05:02 AM
link   

I don't really know how to anser other than to say it's a very selfish attitude to not care about others. If everyone thought this way then no one would give up their life to save another or to win a battle in an important war. However consider this instead. You could make the world you live in better in some way, either big or small, that would have benefits for you right now. Whether it is simply the gratifying experience of helping someone directly or indirectly.

It doesn't quite work like that. To make changes in society you require the cooperation of society, influence and power. Besides it is only necessary to make a change when you yourself are affected, but if you are not and are satisfied with the materials you have, you have no reason to affect change. This is why Western countries, despite having enough wealth to share with the rest of the world and eradicate poverty, do not do so. They have no reason to because they are satisfied themselves.

Still i am unable to comprehend why someone would not want to make the future better for others.

That is easy, it's because they are the "other"

The irony of your post is kind of funny. You talk about war, criminals, politicians etc being all bad and horrible parts of society without realising that if more people took an active roll to help change things, even small things then these problems could be greatly reduced.

That is a rather naive outlook and you overestimate the power of the individual and the speed of change. War, crime, corruption has been ongoing for thousands of years, and while efforts have been made to reduce them these efforts require generations of efforts. Much social change does not take place overnight, but requires life-long dedication and sacrifice on the part of individuals before some change is brought about. But the change is never absolute, because there is always war, crime and corruption remaining. Therefore again, why sacrifice your life to bring about social change for future generations, when yourself are not there to enjoy those changes?

Isn't it ironic most inventors, artists, geniuses get recognition after they die
I for one do not see any reason to work to bring about a better world in which I no longer exist.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I believe that the 'soul' lives forever. It could even be indestructable which would kind of explain to me how evil beings, spirits, Satan etc still exist.

After a person dies, I think the soul is put into a waiting area. Then when this judgement day happens, the soul is put back on earth to live eternally.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Does anybody has an idea about why we can not remember anything from previous lives? That is ofcourse if we can have any.....I can also reverse the question somewhat.....Will we remember all our previous lives at any time....that is in the after live? And if so, why not in this physical life?

Thx, Zatara.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by zatara

Our physical body can only remember this physical existence. It's limited to its own realm of knowledge. Our spiritual body can transcend memories...that is to say, when your physical body dies, you'll have knowledge of everything you have done...but if perhaps you were incarnated physically again, limitations are again put in place....

I believe one can slowly build bridges to overcome these limitations....but they're never completely gapped.

A2D

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Monts

I don't personally believe consciousness survives death as then it wouldn't be death, so what would you be surviving?

I liken the human mind/brain as a computer, which it does appear to me to be a biological analog. When you destroy a completely computer, the contents of it's memory are gone and the systems to make that computer are gone. You can't still use it and you still can't access the information.

If you just keep existing eternally as a conscious entity, then you never die and there is nothing to survive if it doesn't exist.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by System
I really am surprised at how many people believe our consciousness continues after death. I can only assume that most of these people have strong religious views.

One user said it's impossible to know and I agree with this. But in my opinion when we die our brain activity stops and we're dead, deceased, kaput, worm food. Game over, Man!

I don't think it's a hard concept to grasp and is nothing to be feared.

I claim no religion; Im just a believer that there is a creator and that there is more to life that the crap we see today. Most religion is corrupt so I stick to myself and my beleifs.

I also believe that our soul, which is apart from the brain, lives on. The how's and why's are not known to me, but I have my theories. We're too special of a species and capable of such power and emotion and creativity that there Has to be more behind it than just brain power.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Star and flag.
First off, l'd like to thank you for introducing this thread. It's threads such as these, containing interesting people, topics and discussions beyond the mundane, are why I've come to visit ATS.

I believe that our consciousness or soul lives on, do any of you skeptics out there believe in Jesus Christ ?

Jesus arose from the dead. Ok, sure he was related to God himself, so perhaps it was indeed a special case. But I'm merely trying to make a point.

That if you believe the story of Jesus, and the holy spirit, then it shouldn't require a quantum leap in faith to believe in life after death. And just perhaps, that was purposely part of Jesus' message to mankind.

But scientifically speaking, it is medical fact that our bodies are deemed to be alive or dead in any hospital based upon the existence or lack thereof of brain waves. A Brain wave is an actual measurable electrical impulse, an impulse or waveform as defined in physics as being comprised of both magnitude and duration.

Brain waves control our bodies heartbeat, ability to breath, thoughts and even your ability to perceive and comprehend these very words on this web page.

Once an individual dies and is legally dead or "flat lines" , these impulses cease to exist. Very similar to turning the power off on your computer. If you were to measure the signals inside your computer with the power on and off you'd also see a similar change in it's inherent signals.

I feel that we and our bodies are similar, in that our soul which is the proven electrical energy in the body used to drive our bodies functions until the body no longer functions.

And Once the hardware fails, then the soul leaves in it's natural form of electromagnetic energy where it remains, remaining in the cosmos in an energy state where physics states that it cannot be created or destroyed until it is reabsorbed by another body as a fetus.

And the cycle begins all over again...

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Monts

Hello brothers and sisters.

Imagine awaking from a long dream, and remember exactly what the original thought and plan is. Knowing why you are existent and what you are. You are.

This incarnation was chosen by you for the lessons and experiences that it had. You are but forgetful at birth for the very reason of an effective experience. This Veil of Forgetting can be peirced though, it is semi-permeable.

You don't have to incarnate, eventually your matured enough to learn and experience in different more light-filled ways.

All things are possible, all is infinite. All is.

Just know that the physical is an illusion it's a blink of an eye, a grain of sand on an infinite beach. You are a citizen of eternity, you are the One Infinite Creator. You are.

Namaste.

[edit on 14-12-2009 by Psychonaughty]

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Isn't it ironic most inventors, artists, geniuses get recognition after they die
I for one do not see any reason to work to bring about a better world in which I no longer exist.

Ironic ?
Not really. The people you mention are usually the torches that light the way to a better world. Rarely understood by their peers they bring enlightenment to the following generations.
I believe it was Newton who said:
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Then I suspect you have no (nor plan to have) children.
Until you become a parent, or even as I a grandparent, you cannot understand the desire to make the world a better place for those that follow.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Yes!

It doesn't matter to me what other people think.

I'm pretty confident that the essence of a person aka the soul, lives on after death. However, I don't really know or understand what that essence is.

So if I see you in the afterlife I"ll say hello

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Psychonaughty
reply to post by Monts

Hello brothers and sisters.

Imagine awaking from a long dream, and remember exactly what the original thought and plan is. Knowing why you are existent and what you are. You are.

This incarnation was chosen by you for the lessons and experiences that it had. You are but forgetful at birth for the very reason of an effective experience. This Veil of Forgetting can be peirced though, it is semi-permeable.

You don't have to incarnate, eventually your matured enough to learn and experience in different more light-filled ways.

All things are possible, all is infinite. All is.

Just know that the physical is an illusion it's a blink of an eye, a grain of sand on an infinite beach. You are a citizen of eternity, you are the One Infinite Creator. You are.

Namaste.

"Eternity"

This concept is exactly why people persistently hold on to the illusion mortality.

The concept of infinity and eternity are too difficult to deal with from a perspective based on this physical world of relativity and duality.

Personally it seems ridiculous and naive to assume that the mind is destroyed when it no longer inhabits a physical vehicle. However, I can understand why people find it difficult to comprehend reality without attaching it to the physical experience.

The key to understanding this concept is to think about the difference between a word and the meaning of the word.

A word is physical while meaning is a feeling attached to our minds/souls.

The mind is the responding entity to the conscious experience created by your brain.
The mind is fundamentally abstract.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by zatara

Zatara,
The reason we cannot remember past lives is that the veil between physical incarnations is not lifted in most people. Occasionally, people will glimpse a past life through some experience. I did so during a Reiki treatment. I was an artist in ancient Greece and was swept into the ocean. It's interesting that I never liked art in this embodiment and had this experience only around age 35.

According to the ascended master teachings, and Akash and Asun in particular, who I have heard many times through messengers, most of us have had hundreds of embodiments. We originate from the great central sun where we find our true cosmic nature. We have come to Earth to help awaken the planet to the ancient lost knowledge and ultimately to bring the human race to Ascension. This will take another 10,000 years. There is no hell and you are God. (There is a Great Divine Director who oversees the Great White Brotherhood of the Ascended Host).

We have 5 bodies which are all real. The physical, spiritual, thinking mind body, the feeling side of life, and your Divine "I AM" presence. This "I AM" self is your core being where you draw all that you need from. It IS your divinity. It is the same divinity that Christians believe is in Jesus The Christ. Through Your I AM self you can work miracles in your life by manifestation. You come to KNOW who you are and what your divine purpose is. Your I AM presence can shield you in an armor of light that blocks anything negative from affecting your physical body, (physical manifestations called DIS-EASE are a result of spiritual dysfunction), You can also call down the Violet Flames which will erase Karmic Debt. This is necessary in order to Ascend. You MUST be filled with the LIGHT.

You can research Ascended Masters if you want to take this journey. A great book is 'Journey to Self Realization' by Akasha and Asun as spoken through Craig Russell. It's a good place to start. The journey is long, (you may have been on it for thousands or millions of years). Be patient.

www.akashaonline.com

Namaste

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Not in the slightest. If I have brain damage, my personality may be changed. This for me is proof enough that we are physical beings. I think life goes on, but not for the individual. When my body ceases to function, the same will go for myself. I do my best not to fear death, because it's inevitable and besides the point in life. That being the case, I see no reason to fantasize being immortal.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by EdCase512

I am not talking emotions here, I am talking pure logic. If my life is going to end at physical death, then I see no reason at all to work towards making the world a better place for when I am not around. Basically, the purpose of my argument is to refute secular humanism. There are no solid grounds in secular humanist phlosophy for duty to the world. It is based on shaky grounds of belief, sentimentality and conveniance arbitrated by some humans.

The only real reason that could motivate me to work to improve the world for others is if I actually do survive death and that I can reap the merits of my work thereafter. Otherwise there is no point. And please don't give me the "selfish" crap, as if you are not selfish yourself. Everybody is selfish, nobody does something unless there isn't something it it for them. Even the "heart-warming" feeling we get when we help others is selfish, because it allows us to feel good about ourselves. Lets get real, we wouldn't do anything if there was no promise of pleasure in it.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join