It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sleep Paralysis or "Hag-ridden" Encounter

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Here goes.

This was my experience in a dream last night. I'm not trying to make friends or be cool. I just have to get this off my chest, literally and it seems like there's a bit more going on.

I was sleeping. Dreaming in some other "place." When I feel my body having a really hard time breathing.

There is a part of me that just wants to ignore it but finally I get back into my body. I look up in my dream, I'm in my bedroom, but there is a figure sitting on my chest.

It's hard to make out. I knew it was a woman from the contours of her body. It was black like a shadow but it had faint blue lines/energy outlining and defining her face with broad segments.??? Sorry hard to explain, like her features we're deformed or she had a swollen face. It was all droopy. Anyways.

I fight to get a breath in while she's still on top of me and then I see this black shadow cat in the corner of my bedroom, walking on a shelf above the door. I watch it's tail morph into a snake's tail. It's legs and back are changing, lengthening our to make big black hooded snake. Yet somehow I knew it was going to be a dragon and I didn't want none of it.

A voice in my head is saying "Wake up. WAKE UP."

I did. Thankfully. I immediately focused on my breath, grounded my self in my integrity and did my clearing thing. "Namu Amida Butsu"

Whatever, no big deal. Crazy dream.

I get a little more curious later on and I figure I had a case sleep apnea. I check it out on the net, mmmmp maybe. Then I came across sleep paralysis on wiki. Can be caused by a migraine. I did have a pretty bad headache yesterday. Okay check.

I start reading about the folklore.
en.wikipedia.org...

"The original definition of sleep paralysis was codified by Dr Johnson in his A Dictionary of the English Language, then calling it nightmare, the terminology of the term nightmare has since changed. Such sleep paralysis was widely considered to be the work of demons and more specifically incubi, which were thought to sit on the chests of sleepers. In Old English the name for these beings was mare or mære (from a proto-Germanic *marōn, cf. Old Norse mara), hence comes the mare part in nightmare."

Folk belief in Newfoundland, South Carolina and Georgia describe the negative figure of the Hag who leaves her physical body at night, and sits on the chest of her victim. The victim usually wakes with a feeling of terror, has difficulty breathing because of a perceived heavy invisible weight on his or her chest, and is unable to move i.e., experiences sleep paralysis. This nightmare experience is described as being "hag-ridden" in the Gullah lore. The "Old Hag" was a nightmare spirit in British and also Anglophone North American folklore.

Really.... What the hell did I do to her?
Hag in folklore. wiki en.wikipedia.org...

A hag, or "the Old Hag", was a nightmare spirit in British and Anglophone North American folklore. This variety of hag is essentially identical to the Anglo-Saxon mæra — a being with roots in ancient Germanic superstition, and closely related to the Scandinavian mara. According to folklore, the Old Hag sat on a sleeper's chest and sent nightmares to him or her. When the subject awoke, he or she would be unable to breathe or even move for a short period of time. Currently this state is called sleep paralysis, but in the old belief the subject had been "hagridden".[8] It is still frequently discussed as if it were a paranormal state.[9]

I got Hag-ridden.

Just to be clear. I didn't know of the connection beforehand. The only hag I ever knew was Cailleach from celtic lore and she watches the cauldron.

I just thought it was pretty weird to find a myth in the South where I live that claims a "Hag" sits on your chest, keeping you from moving and breathing and the exact thing happened to me.

It's a mystery....

Thanks for your time, Wyl

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
You are putting this on the wrong section It's should be on the
heatlh section

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Thanks for the feedback.

Health Section:
This forum is dedicated to the discussion of conspiracies, cover-ups and scandals that are related to big pharma corruption and government involvement in manipulating health care. Topics may also delve into alternative treatments and breakthroughs not mentioned in mainstream media. Discussion topics and follow-up responses in this forum will likely tend to lean in favor of conspiracies, scandals, and cover-ups. Members who would seek to refute such theories should be mindful of AboveTopSecret.com's tradition of focusing on conspiracy theory, cover-ups, and scandals.

Yeah I didn't think that would be appropiate by the definition, but maybe paranormal studies would have been better.

[edit on 12-12-2009 by wylee]

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...Check out this thread from a few days ago.It's probably pretty common i saw a program about it also.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I'm surprised you haven't seen more response to this.
I struggle with this fairly regularly, and have been sleeping on my side for years to avoid it. This helps, but doesn't "cure" it.
I don't remember the cat/snake/dragon, but mine (the Hag) is always so close on me, that is what I'm focusing on. She doesn't always appear as a Hag, and sometimes "morphs" into one from something quite the opposite.

"Really.... What the hell did I do to her?"
I'm not really sure you did anything, maybe it's just who you are. In my case, I have done some things (no crimes to anyone but myself though), but this started long before any of those 'things'. (someday soon I'm going to write a thread to get the things off my chest, I have a few questions, too)

I don't know if you are of Scandinavian/Germanic/Anglo-Saxon descent, but I am.
These visits don't seem to be any major portend to epic events, good or bad, as near as I can tell.
Like I said, I don't get the visits if I sleep on my side and stay that way. Your results may vary.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dogdish
I struggle with this fairly regularly, and have been sleeping on my side for years to avoid it.

I know what you mean. I had a similar experience years ago, and shared my experience here.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Thanks for all the feedback. This is the first time this as ever happened to me.

I still don't get the feminine aspect of the "spirits" in these cases. I guess there's a 50/50 chance of it though. Still why would our brains bring up those images?

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I have had a somewhat similar experience that ive shared on here in the past. I cant remember if i noticed anything actually sitting on my chest, but i was completely paralyzed, i was then pretty much toyed with and made to feel helpless and scared by whataver the thing was.

I find it pretty disturbing that a lot of responses toward my dream and all of these types of experiences mostly labelled under sleep paralysis and such. have to do with evil spirts/demons or other dimensional entities, whatever you want to call them. The worst thing is that it seems to make more sense than the traditional explainations...

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I too have had and still do reguarly have encounters with the "old hag" aswell as alot of family members from my mothers side. According to my grandmother encounters with it has been in my family for generations.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by xX-Valac

I'm curious. Does your grandmother have a legend or folklore to go with this "old hag"?

I'm open to anything.

Do you fear for your life? or It's whatever....

Because I've seen other things. Do you mind if I ask what culture your family's from?
I'm wondering if this is culture specific.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by wylee

I dont think so, and finding out that she has experienced it was as much information as I can get from her.
Fearing for my life?, Very very much so. It is like its sucking the life out of you.
The culture of my family? I dont have a clue, I know theirs some Asian, Italian and Australian Aborigine in the bloodline.

U2U me if you want to as I have seen many other things also.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I also have had similar experiences. For a few years I got heavily into the occult, spirits and things related. I had a few run-ins with some nasty energies and things of an occultish vein. One of these was a brief but intense period of encounters with something that I knew was female, malevolent and evil. According to legends of succubus and succubi I gather that women would experience a male aspect. It is my belief that these creatures suck life-force from us, probably magical/spiritual/whatever-you-want-to-call-it. After a few visitations, I eventually gave her more then she expected, banishing her and have never felt her presents since. I think most people would not be visited by her, or remember and feel any effects but being tired the next morning, but the more force one has the more likely you will be visited, the more it would effect you, and may even harm/kill you. But the good news is a good mental preparation and attitude (magic spell) can help keep her away.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
They have to be some type of succubus. Years ago I had a similar situation where before I went to sleep I had a strong argument with my mother. I fell asleep feeling a strong anger towards my mother. A while in I awoke paralyzed, had trouble breathing as I noticed three small black figures with no form on the right side of my bed. I then physically felt one of them glide over my body towards my left. At this point I was able to slowly turn my head to my left when I noticed a large wide black figure grow. After that I was awake but had so much fear.

I now rarely have these experiences but when I do, I almost immediately think positive thoughts and whatever it is just goes away.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Its not a literal hag, demon, or spirit, it’s a chemical induced hallucination created by the brain from waking to quickly from REM sleep. Basically, it’s a dream that is superimposed over reality as your brain is awake, but the chemical hallucinogens that are released in REM stage did not have time to wear off upon arousal. Its also known as a Hypnagogic, or hypnopopmic hallucination.

To the person who said that they get it less often when they sleep on their side, you might want to talk to a Dr about having a sleep study run on you, as there may be a simple to fix physical issue that is causing your arousals from REM.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I get it on occasions. What makes me believe it really is just in our heads is that I've seen these dark figures before, but a couple times I saw it, then it was gone and I realized the blanket was right in my face, literally 2 inches away. There is no way a being was between me and the blanket. It was a hallucination.

Whats more creepy about sleep paralysis is the feeling of 'lifting off' that I get before I actually fully wake up. Starts with my feet and moves up my body, just like if you had a ton of pressure on you and someone started lifting your feet off the bed. Most of the time I realize what's happening and I wake up.

I really wanna let it keep going, as see what happens, but it just freaks me out too much. One day....

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I have it too sometimes and I hate it. It usually happens just as I'm about to fall asleep, sometimes I have it for a couple of nights in a row. I've never had any hallucinations though.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Karrotz

When you keep going you get out and can fly around. I do it as often as I can induce it. It's better than snorting Mescaline by far! Ride out the fear and let it go. Let yourself float away and focus on flying. After a few tries you will actually learn to control the flight. I swear man. I know it sounds lidicrous, but I've been doing it for many years. If you concentrate hard enough, and you are in the right state of sleep, you can imagine anything or do anything you want. Make all your fantasies come true or just go on adventures. Read up on Astral projection and have a blast. The old hag will seem like a joke once you become proficient at getting out and flying around. You will be pining for the old hag to experiece more and more. Have fun.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Tip to all Sp sufferers. Don't sleep on your back. I don't know why but it only happens to me when I sleep on my back.

Edit to say that it tends to run in my family too.

[edit on 27-12-2009 by calstorm]

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

CO-SIGN. The majority of time it's on my back, but I've experienced it on my side. I'm able to conrol it now, and don't have any fear of it. I usually get a "signal" in my dream when it happens, and that signal is when everything turns to black. It's usually around the time I'm lucid, that's how I know I'm dreaming and need to wake up.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
look into astral projection
www.youtube.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join