It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please Sign The Petition to Repeal The Patriot ACT

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   
This is your chance to help regain OUR Freedom Congress gave away.

To: U.S. Congress
We, the undersigned, hereby declare that anti-terrorism legislation passed by our US Congress since the tragic and murderous September 11, 2001 attacks on our nation, seriously damage and infringe upon the constitutional protections that are enshrined in our Bill of Rights.

We declare that it is not patriotic, but rather Un-American to destroy the very freedoms which cause Americans to love their country.
We declare that open government is critical to democracy and that by imposing new levels of secrecy our government appears less trustworthy and lessens the people�s ability to make informed decisions about government.

We declare that lessening the strength of the judicial and legislative branches of our government, while simultaneously giving completely unlimited powers to the executive branch does damage to our American principle of separation of powers.

We oppose the use of secret military tribunals at which a person is afforded no independent defense counsel and could be sentenced to die and executed without the knowledge and approval of the American people.

We oppose the president�s orders to lock down presidential records, thus denying our ability to judge the actions of the executive.

We oppose the indefinite imprisonment of foreign nationals if no criminal charge has been placed against them. We further oppose the holding of any person without publicly declaring the crime they are charged with.
We oppose the �sneak and peek� provision of the PATRIOT Act, which crushes our 4th amendment protections against unreasonable search and seizure by denying citizens their right to be aware that their property is to be searched and their right to protest such search if the warrant is out of order.

We oppose the collection of private business records by order of secret courts and the muzzling of those citizens who receive such orders from speaking publicly about them. This is a violation of both the 1st and 4th amendment.

We oppose the PATRIOT Act�s destruction of e-mail and Internet privacy. In addition, the sharing of such data indiscriminately among any number of government agencies and even foreign governments is patently intolerable.

For these reasons, we demand the immediate repeal of the PATRIOT Act. We call upon our elected representatives to act in accordance with the Constitution of the United States and to undo these actions which violate the core principles of America.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

www.repealnow.com...

There are 14,584 Total Signatures as of this posting. ATS members and those who read this board, please help push those numbers over 100,000 by signing and passing this on.

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Becareful, and read it all before signing.

Knowing is half the battle...

I'm going to read this all, now.

www.repealnow.com...

[Edited on 22-5-2004 by ADVISOR]

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   
ADVISOR, let us know what you think about the wording. I looked OK to me.

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by energy_wave
ADVISOR, let us know what you think about the wording.

It could probably use some touching up by a lawyer. However, very well written. Going by my understanding and interpretation, I plan on signing and printing off some copies to be locally distributed. Something such as this makes one wonder... *J.T.*

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I signed it. I just got in an argument with a kid I work with about this whole Patriot Act issue... I told him I don't like it, I don't think we should have it, etc. So basically the only retort he could come up with was "so are you saying you don't like democracy?" And I was like whaaaat that came out of left field. He says "well, the American people want the Patriot Act, so you don't agree with what the American people want, so you must not want a democratic government."

Needless to say I pretty much said screw this, and stopped discussing with him because he was spouting nonsense. Just because I think this act is wrong does not automatically mean I don't like democracy... And that's my story for today...

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 11:09 PM
link   
It's funny they call it the Patriot act, when really it takes away freedoms and the such.

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Faisca
I signed it. I just got in an argument with a kid I work with about this whole Patriot Act issue... I told him I don't like it, I don't think we should have it, etc. So basically the only retort he could come up with was "so are you saying you don't like democracy?" And I was like whaaaat that came out of left field. He says "well, the American people want the Patriot Act, so you don't agree with what the American people want, so you must not want a democratic government."

Needless to say I pretty much said screw this, and stopped discussing with him because he was spouting nonsense. Just because I think this act is wrong does not automatically mean I don't like democracy... And that's my story for today...

Well, if you check how the act was passed in the first place, it didn't have to do much with democracy.

Several congrespeople said that on the day of the vote, they got the act shoved under their noses and were told to sign it OR ELSE. They didn't even get to read it, untill AFTER it was approved.

I'll put some sources on that lateron, working right now.

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Just signed it, and emailed the link to a friend of mine who has one of the biggest mail lists I know of any single person having... and almost all of his contacts are on the same 'page' as we are.

If you sign this, I'd recommend you do the same... send it to as many people as possible through whatever means!

And, yes... I get leary about these things as well, but I did check over the site before signing. Seems legit to me, and if not then I guess all the signees get red-tagged for the concentration camps, lol.

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix
Well, if you check how the act was passed in the first place, it didn't have to do much with democracy.

Several congrespeople said that on the day of the vote, they got the act shoved under their noses and were told to sign it OR ELSE. They didn't even get to read it, untill AFTER it was approved.

I'll put some sources on that lateron, working right now.

Well I did say that, and he was like "we elect the congressmen, so it was us who approved." And I explained to him the quick signing, so then he said "well theres no public outcry, no one is trying to get it repealed." So now I'm gonna show this to him and show him that there is an outcry, and we will be heard.

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I would sign it, but I don't think they like a european to try repeal their laws :p

Btw, tell your friend hes a dumbass.

There is no public outcry because dumbasses like him take whatever bull they shove down the publics throats and have no view on the world around them except for what they are told to believe.

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix
There is no public outcry because dumbasses like him take whatever bull they shove down the publics throats and have no view on the world around them except for what they are told to believe.

Yeah, and when people like us try to talk to them about it we're automatically labeled as crazy conspiracy theorists. I hate it, it's so hard thinking outside the box when it comes to these kinds of things.

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 11:51 PM
link   
All I gotta say is go ahead and tell everyone they CAN'T do anything about it... most of americans are rebellious in nature, and if you tell them they CAN'T, they will do everything to prove you wrong.

"Prove you
Prove you wrong
You can bet on it
I'll prove you wrong" - Prong

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Not just americans, and not mostly americans even.

When the US announced they were going to invade iraq, every country in europe had at least a million people on the street, protesting against it.

But thats the big problem, as long as politics are involved, the public's outcry and protest is unheard and dismissed.

But when it'll come to the point where the public is aware that something like the NWO is actualy in existance, the uproar will shake the solar system.
And won't be just protest and outcry, but gutfest and outtrow.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I signed one several months back. I encourage everyone to read and sign.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 08:08 AM
link   
thank god somebody came out with this Idea I was starting to wonder if people out there did not really care after all.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Make sure you read up on the Patriot Act to make sure you actually know what it is. If all you have ever heard about it comes from liberals like Michael Moore, you are ill informed.

www.bowlingfortruth.com...

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I'm not familiar with any examples of any American citizen who have been inconvenienced (let alone violated) by the Patriot Act. We've all been living under the Patriot Act for a while now. My life is unchanged.

Everything done by intelligence agencies in the pursuit of terrorists using the Patriot Act has to be reviewed and approved by a federal judge (search warrants, listening devices, etc....). The judge reviews the evidence and decides whether or not the case appears legitimate.

I'm keeping an eye on the Patriot Act, but so far I haven't seen anything that really concerns me.

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   
My God! And i thought it was just the UK that was going through a sovreignty crisis! What with the EU stripping our sovreign rights and tony Blair gleefully handing them over with the UK electorate not having a referendum on wether or not we want it.

Well we sympathise over here in the UK, because were being sold out too by our leading powers.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 12:19 AM
link   
hmm the government wants to renew a law that is set to expire because they know it is unconstitutional....

In a way this is like software piracy... Your 30 day trial is almost up on your fancy new image editor you just downloaded so you install a crack to bypass the 30 day limit....

The government will just keep renewing the law after their "30 days" runs out

new topics

top topics

join