It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Alien" Jellyfish Found in Arctic Deep

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Hi all,

thought I would post these beautiful photos of deep sea jellyfish. The shape and colour of these creatures is fascinating.

Enjoy!

Crossota norvegica

In the black depths of the frigid Arctic Ocean, scientists on a 2005 expedition found a splash of color: The brilliant, blood-red Crossota norvegica jellyfish. The creature was spotted by a remotely operated vehicle 8,530 feet (2,600 meters) underwater during a two-month National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) expedition to the Canada Basin, the deepest and least explored part of the Arctic waters

[img]
[/img]

Clione limacina

Biologists captured a so-called sea angel, Clione limacina (pictured), at about 1,148 feet (350 meters) during a 2005 research expedition to the Arctic Ocean. This little angel apparently doesn't mind showing a little skin: It's actually a naked snail without a shell, scientists said in December 2009

[img]
[/img]

A new genus and species of narcomedusa

A new genus and species of narcomedusa--a group of common jellyfish--was discovered from one specimen in 2002 and by the hundreds in 2005 (pictured, an individual spotted in 2005), a scientist said in December 2009. That scientists could discover a new genus of such a well-known jellyfish group highlights how little we know about the Arctic.

[img]
[/img]

siphonophore

Each siphonophore, such as the one seen above in 2005, is actually a colony of creatures related to jelly fish. Reaching 10 feet (3.1 meters) in length, some siphonophores are among the largest animals in the deep sea, Monterey Peninsula College's Raskoff said in December 2009

[img]
[/img]

Crossota millsae

This red-and-purple Crossota millsae, collected deep in the Arctic Ocean in 2005, is also found off of California and Hawaii, a scientist said in December 2009.

[img]
[/img]

Sminthea arctica

Sminthea arctica (pictured in 2005) is the most common jellyfish found in the Arctic Ocean, a scientist said in December 2009.

[img]
[/img]

Nat Geo

Hope you enjoyed this little collection of beautiful creatures. Arent the shapes and colours just amazing?!

g.

[edit on 12-12-2009 by grantbeed]

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
They look like metroids!!

Remember that game?

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by liquidsmoke206

yeh, youre right!

[img]
[/img]

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
those are awesome pics, thanks for sharing!

[edit on 12-12-2009 by research100]

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by liquidsmoke206
They look like metroids!!

Remember that game?

that was one of the best games ever!

and back to the jellyfish, i've been thinking a lot about jellyfish lately, strange.
these are beautiful! they aren't alien though, just previously undiscovered.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Call me crazy if you will
but I truly think some species of animals were populated here (who knows when) from off Earth.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by double_frick

they aren't alien though, just previously undiscovered.

Previously undiscovered?
Well that sounds alien enough to me, lets round em up and shoot back into space. The only way to kill em is to freeze em then shoot em with 5 missiles, sounds like a lot of work....

new topics

top topics

join