It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bunker 101 : Building Your Bunker, Forget the Bug Out Bag, Make A Fortress

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
For quite some time I have been someone who was fascinated in the idea of castles, fortresses, armed garrison, you name it.

To me it goes hand in hand with all of my other extensive studies of history, Government, military, and the Art of War, which I turned into the Art of Peace, for myself.

I will put out some ideas that I am sure some of you have heard, but others have not, and together we can come up with a solid reason to chuck the Bug-Out Bag, and instead build an impenetrable fortress, or at least a defendable position.

Hadrian's Wall - NewCastle Roman Fort 3D Reconstruction

Remember, at one time Castle's, fortresses, and garrison's were the only means of protecting the people because feudal servants were not allowed to protect themselves, or were far too poor to buy the latest armor, a horse, or sword and shield.

But even one man can take another man's castle, if properly trained, motivated, and ready.

The Last Castle

And even a team of highly trained individuals can take it if there are more than one person defending it, whether right or wrong, whether armed, or not.

Waco: The Rules of Engagement (www.waco93.com)

If you know anything about history than you will know about pykrete, a mixture of water and sawdust frozen together to make a highly stable platform for a building material.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Pykrete

Pykrete is a composite material made of approximately 14 percent sawdust or some other form of wood pulp (such as paper) and 86 percent ice by weight.

Its use was proposed during World War II by Geoffrey Pyke to the British Royal Navy as a candidate material for making a huge, unsinkable aircraft carrier.

Pykrete has some interesting properties, notably its relatively slow melting rate (due to low thermal conductivity), and its vastly improved strength and toughness over unmodified (crystalline) ice, actually closer to concrete.

Pykrete is slightly more difficult to form than concrete, as it expands during the freezing process, but can be repaired and maintained from the sea's most abundant raw material: water.

The mixture can be moulded into any shape and frozen, and it will be extremely tough and durable, as long as it is kept at or below freezing.

Shooting Pykrete

Power of Pykrete

Mythbusters Alaska

If you lack a cold environment, or you wish to avoid one, you can go another avenue, papercrete.

Quote from :Wikipedia : Papercrete

Papercrete is a recently developed construction material which consists of re-pulped paper fiber with Portland cement or clay and/or other soil added.

First patented in 1928, it has been revived since the 1980s.

Although perceived as an environmentally friendly material due to the significant recycled content, this is offset by the presence of cement.

The material lacks standardisation, and proper use therefore requires care and experience.

Eric Patterson and Mike McCain, who have been ascribed with independently "inventing" papercrete (they called it "padobe" and "fibrous cement"), have both contributed considerably to research into machinery to make it and ways of using it for building.

DIY How to Make Papercrete in a Tow-Mixer

Papercrete

Green Acre - Papercrete Fence Building

Hell, you can even rent Tunnel Boring Machine's if you have the money from the corporation, Robbins TBM.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Tunnel Boring Machine

A tunnel boring machine (TBM) is a machine used to excavate tunnels with a circular cross section through a variety of soil and rock strata.

They can bore through hard rock, sand, and almost anything in between. Tunnel diameters can range from a metre (done with micro-TBMs) to almost 16 metres to date.

Tunnels of less than a metre or so in diameter are typically done by horizontal directional drilling rather than TBMs.

Tunnel boring machines are used as an alternative to drilling and blasting (D&B) methods in rock and conventional 'hand mining' in soil.

A TBM has the advantages of limiting the disturbance to the surrounding ground and producing a smooth tunnel wall.

This significantly reduces the cost of lining the tunnel, and makes them suitable to use in heavily urbanized areas.

The major disadvantage is the upfront cost.

TBMs are expensive to construct, difficult to transport and require significant infrastructure.

The biggest is built by Herrenknecht AG of Schwanau, Germany to dig the 57 km Gotthard Base Tunnel.

It has a diameter of 9.58 meters.

TBM : Tunnel Boring Machine

SMART Tunnel TBM Breakthrough

Earth Pressure Balanced TBM

Of course, I suspect if you had the money to rent or buy one of these monstrosities, you might not be utilizing pykrete or papercrete.

You might also have this book as well.

Underground Space Design: Part 1: Overview of Subsurface Space Utilization Part 2: Design for People in Underground Facilities

Amazon Review :

Underground space development may be one of the most significant was to contend with urban predicaments such as congestion, lack of open space, and aging infrastructures.

However, designers must consider whether or not people will be willing to live and work in what could be perceived as inhospitable environments.

Should people be required to work in underground facilities, Or should underground space be used solely for mechanical or transit services and low-occupancy functions such as storage?

What must designers do to create subsurface spaces that will avoid or alleviate the psychological and physiological problems associated with being underground?

Underground Space Design is the first comprehensive book on subsurface space utilization throughout the world.

The authors supply a complete overview of the entire range of underground uses by reflecting on the past, present, and future of underground development.

Underground Space Design is the result of a five-year joint research study by the Underground Space Center at the University of Minnesota and the Shimizu Institute of Technology in Japan.

This thorough, scholarly, and practical source offers extensive coverage of the relevant topics including:

* an analysis of current underground land use

* the future of underground development

* comprehensive set of classifications

* a summary of existing research on psychological issues

* exterior and entrance design patterns

* layout and spatial configuration patterns

* interior design patterns

* methods of lighting

* life safety design patterns

Elaborately designed and illustrated, this book is the first complete source to present the broad range of underground design and uses, making it an ideal reference for architects, interior designers, civil engineers, geotechnical engineers, city planners, developers, and environmental psychologists.

Underground Space Design is also an excellent introduction to the field, precisely serving the needs of students and other professionals.

So, I say chuck the bug-out bag, and get a whole lot of supplies, and build a bunker.

[edit on 12-12-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I've yet to watch the videos, but Spartan as always, you will be the person I seek out if the SHTF.

I have none of this knowledge, but probably enough funds to build one which could support a dozen or so people lol.

Who needs skill when you have the money? lol.

Thanks for another great thread! S&F

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
I've yet to watch the videos, but Spartan as always, you will be the person I seek out if the SHTF.

I have none of this knowledge, but probably enough funds to build one which could support a dozen or so people lol.

Who needs skill when you have the money? lol.

Thanks for another great thread! S&F

~Keeper

tothetenthpower, no problem whatsoever, I just figured if Tom Cruise can build one while he's watching for aliens to invade, I can ignore his delusions, and build one of my own.

Quote from :

Tom Cruise Building '£5m Bunker To Protect Against Alien Attack'

Hollywood star Tom Cruise is planning to build a bunker at his Colorado home to protect his family in the event of an intergalactic alien attack, according to new reports.

The Mission Impossible actor, who is a dedicated follower of Scientology, is reportedly fearful that deposed galactic ruler 'Xenu' is plotting an evil revenge attack on Earth.

Sorry, I just had to go there, I am "alien-agnostic", no butt probes for me.

While I introduced the concept before, now I will include directions, from this website.

Quote from : How to Build a Bunker : E-How

You don't have to be in active warfare to want a bunker.

If you have lots of land and like to play games like paintball, then having a bunker can add a new dimension to the game.

Whether it's for safety or fun, here's how to build your own bunker.

Difficulty: Moderately Challenging Instructions

Step 1 - Check the zoning for the land you want to build the bunker on. Many cities have strict guidelines on construction and require plans to be submitted and approved before any building or additions take place on a property.

To avoid fines, contact your local building department.

Step 2 - Decide the purpose of the bunker, how many people it needs to house and the accommodations that you would like to include when you build it.

A bunker built for a paintball war may need to house a few people but need little else.

A hunting bunker will likely only house one person, but would include a few more accommodations and possibly heat for the cold winter months.

A safety bunker for a family would be a more permanent structure that has the ability to keep a family comfortable and safe for a month or even longer.

Step 3 - Hire a licensed contractor for building a permanent bunker for emergencies.

These shelters need to have a protection factor of 40, which is the minimum in the United States.

These structures may also include fresh air ventilation, and account for any water leakage and ground water tables much like a basement.

Step 4 - Start digging.

Essentially a bunker is a hole in the ground, so that's the first step no matter what plan you choose.

Try to keep the walls as vertical as possible and continually measure to make sure that the hole you're digging fits the plan you have, especially if different levels are needed for the bunker.

Step 5 - Put in reinforcements while digging.

This will ensure that the hole's walls do not collapse during the process.

Temporary reinforcements can be made from 2-by-4s and can be switched out to rebar for concrete foundation if necessary.

Step 6 - Create a roof for the hole by using a structure of 2-by-4s and plywood.

Material that is waterproof or will repel the elements should be used to cover the plywood.

Account for any windows or entry holes while building the roof.

[edit on 12-12-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

I hear ya. Then again, Tom is the foremost scholar on "alien" invasions isn't he?

Then again, I dont' think an "underground" bunker would save you from advanced alien technology.

Leave it to Tom Cruise to hide in the underground closet....

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
This is has been my thinking all along, although I lack the funds to build one. Ultimately you would want to build it underground as it seems you are suggesting at the end of the OP. Although there are a few problems with that though, such in the case of your access point being covered for whatever reason. Also you would want a vehicle to transverse long distances, so yet another problem. Also you would need ventilation system and a power supply.

Beyond those problems if you were to build one big enough you could easily support yourself and a few people indefinitely with hydroponically grown food. You could have a perpetual harvest where the food is always fresh. Of course you would probably have to turn into a vegan, but at the same time there would be no reason if you chose the right location to go and hunt from time to time.

You could also recycle the used water, the one in the ISS reuses I think 90% of the water. Also the plants would also generate their own CO2 and there for oxygen. Good thread though OP.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   

I hear ya. Then again, Tom is the foremost scholar on "alien" invasions isn't he?

Then again, I dont' think an "underground" bunker would save you from advanced alien technology.

Leave it to Tom Cruise to hide in the underground closet....

~Keeper

I am laughing hard at the reference to an underground closet.

I figured if Congress can have this built, to save their own miserable hides, why not us?

Cold War Bunker - USA

They planned on screwing the public if the Russian's nuked us, so go figure.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
If you are building now, papercrete is fine. After TSHTF you would want to use something more available like wood and earth. Optimal being something like the earthship design with hard-packed earth-filled tires. Whatever you do, keep it camouflaged/underground, out of sight out of mind sort of thing. Earth-sheltered homes are great for this.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

I agree with you 100%.

I left some of this open for other people to add their ideas.

I keep getting told people feel they don't have anything to contribute.

Underground

Feel free to add any content to this thread to assist in bypassing those issues.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I think a cylinder design would be better personally with a system of tubes connecting everything.

I'm down to work to help build one as long as I get to reap the benefits when SHTF. I would imagine we could even get water from the water table. Now just need to get the power situation figured out and it would be perfect.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by wanderingwaldo
If you are building now, papercrete is fine. After TSHTF you would want to use something more available like wood and earth. Optimal being something like the earthship design with hard-packed earth-filled tires. Whatever you do, keep it camouflaged/underground, out of sight out of mind sort of thing. Earth-sheltered homes are great for this.

I agree with you there.

Or, you can just outright buy an old bunker.

If you have the money.

Kingsway Tunnels London, ex-MI6 complex up for sale

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   

That's cool. I wonder where it gets it's power from. I guess we could get a bunch of gerbils and put them on a treadmill.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I have a friend who actually bought an old missle silo somewhere in Europe and retro fitted it as his house.

It's comprised of multiple levels, all more important than the next as you move down.

Pretty ingenious I would think.

I told him all he was missing was huge bay doors and some camouflage.

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife

That's cool. I wonder where it gets it's power from. I guess we could get a bunch of gerbils and put them on a treadmill.

Well, we're only limited by our own imaginations, nothing else.

Windbelt Cheap Generator Alternative

Aquabank™ - Riverbank Power

Clean Solar Power Alternative Energy

You just need to be ingenious enough to hide it in plain sight, like the Federal Government.

When I was a teenage, my stepfather and I discussed turning our old exercise bicycle into a generator for a small 13 inch television.

We never did it, but it takes that type of ingenuity, to even do this stuff to begin with.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

I have a friend who actually bought an old missle silo somewhere in Europe and retro fitted it as his house.

It's comprised of multiple levels, all more important than the next as you move down.

Pretty ingenious I would think.

I told him all he was missing was huge bay doors and some camouflage.

~Keeper

Yeah, I had some websites with old missile silos for sale, but I do not have the funding.

It is amazing what you can find for sale from the Cold War.

Military Surplus is available almost everywhere, for the right money, if you've got it.

At least I pointed to some alternate low-cost stuff.

For the pykrete, use used butter bowls, filled with water, and sawdust.

Yes, it will take a lot of them, but it's not like you're going anywhere.

Use six to ten at a time, and just keep cycling them in and out of the freezer.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   

The problem with pykrete though is that you have to keep it frozen. I think the paperkrete method is more feasible.

I've been trying to think of ways to generate power, such as a turbine that rotates by magnets, to reduce friction. Then using compressed air to power it. You really wouldn't need much. The main thing about it all is that the SHTF scenario that we would be dealing with is the NWO and they will track down all dissidents and they have satellites so it would be difficult to hide solar panels and the like. Also if I'm building a bunker it would be inland for protection from tsunami's.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
100% In agreement: Bug out TO your bunker!

I have a few posts on this topic but to summarize, CONCEALMENT is the key to survival. Underground ventilated and HIDDEN sanctuary is what is needed.

Nobody will be coming to take your stuff if they don't know you're there!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Sit X to me is based on "threat" probabilities. There are many possible Sit X situations and I cannot plan for them all just the most probable.

Currently there are a few on the "high" list (such as EMP & Bio) but almost all of them have the same outcome -

Disruption of Electricity or Transportation for an extended period of time... that is it and really all that it would take.

No Transportation = No Food for 95% or more of the population within days.

OK - Primary threat identified

Solutions - Either go to a "pre-positioned" shelter with supplies within walking / bicycle distance or sit it out at the primary suburban residence (which is not the main plan).

Food runs out in days, Order quickly deteriorates, If winter - People will start burning anything to keep warm.. not a pretty scenario any way you look at it.

Authorities will go door to door to "centralize" food IF there is still an order structure in place to feed the masses. If the "authorities" realize that there is no help coming anytime soon, they will take it for themselves and "fortress" up. It may take a couple of weeks before this happens but if supplies start running low......

Otherwise, chaos will reign in any major populated areas as the desperate "have nots" take from anyone that still has in the area.

I would rather "quickly" get to my "concealed" shelter and wait it out to be truthful.

One, I hate it that I have to think this way but our population has turned into such "dependents" that most people don't even have 2 weeks worth of food in their houses. I don't want to harm anyone either in defense or being desperate enough to consider it because I didn't pre-plan for the "threats" that are plain as day to see. My solution: Stockpile food in a shelter and wait any major emergency out with my friends and family.... what else can I morally do? The chances of Sit-x happening increase every year and I would be a fool to do "nothing".

Grabbing a backpack and a gun and running into the woods is an idiots plan of desperation in most cases. Having a planned shelter with supplies is the only answer in my opinion.

Edit: One other thing - meeting up with "like minded" individuals may not be what you think.... Soon someone is going to have a "Leader" complex and possibly gain "followers" which may put you and your loved ones in an awkward position depending how bat-sh!t crazy the wanna be "leader" turns out to be. You may soon find yourself in a situation that is worse than going it small with your "trusted" friends and family.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife

The problem with pykrete though is that you have to keep it frozen. I think the paperkrete method is more feasible.

I've been trying to think of ways to generate power, such as a turbine that rotates by magnets, to reduce friction. Then using compressed air to power it. You really wouldn't need much. The main thing about it all is that the SHTF scenario that we would be dealing with is the NWO and they will track down all dissidents and they have satellites so it would be difficult to hide solar panels and the like. Also if I'm building a bunker it would be inland for protection from tsunami's.

Of course, and this is why I introduced two low-cost methods, to allow for feasibility.

There are people who will be skedaddling toward Alaska.

Do a search for magnetic generators, I bet you find one, and post it here.

As for hiding the solar panels, that's something to consider, possibly getting those roll-out mats style solar cells and configuring them to a shape to hide them?

Yes, tsunami's are a worry, so high in the mountains if at all.

More than anything, this thread was just to exercise my own imagination, I've read about bunkers, castles, garrisons, forts, a host of other stuff along those lines, all of my life.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I don't have much to add... just that I think it would be very cool to live in a castle or a settlement like the Maya built at Tulum! Great thread, inspiring alternatives.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
All someone has to do is plug up your vents, or dump some nasty things inside, and you're screwed. I know that's what I'd do. I would outlast you, just like how they took the castles in the old days...

Sorry, but I think the idea is not feasible for that very reason.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

That is probably what I would do, is go up towards Canada, or somewhere although the environment is very very unforgiving, but if you can make it nobody is going to come looking for you.

I think grouping up with no more than 10 people would be the best especially if they are all trained. A 10 person squad with the proper tools could take out quite a few people if necessary.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join