It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats Seek $1.8 Trillion Debt Hike

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
The tax & spend Democrats are getting us even deeper into hot water. They want to raise the debt ceiling to $14 Trillion.

The New American

House Majority Leader Steny H. Hoyer (D-Md.) stated on December 11 that the federal government must borrow at least $1.8 trillion more in 2010 if the United States is to avoid defaulting on its debts. This would be over and above the current $12.1 trillion national debt limit.

Democrats are trying to stick together to pass a bill that would raise the federal debt ceiling to $14 trillion. By doing this now, they hope to avoid dealing with the issue closer to next year’s midterm elections.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

We need an extra $1.8 Trillion just to avoid DEFAULTING ON OUR DEBTS!!!

Some "blue dog" Dems are trying to keep some sanity in the bill, trying to insert "pay as you go" language into the bill.

Yet the politically unpopular move of putting the nation deeper into debt is being resisted by more than 50 moderate “Blue Dog” Democrats. They are vowing to withhold their votes unless a “pay-as-you-go” law is included in the debt-increase legislation.

A pay-as-you-go law aims to ensure that tax cuts or spending programs don’t add to the deficit (as opposed to eliminating or even reducing projected deficits). It would require that any new spending would be offset by either cutting other spending or increasing revenue (i.e., tax hikes), and it would enact across-the-board spending cuts if Congress fails to abide by the law.

Also causing disunity within the Democratic Party are about a dozen Senate Democrats who say they won’t vote for an increase in the federal debt unless a commission of lawmakers and administration officials is set up to address deficit reduction. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and other top Democrats such as Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus (D-Mont.) oppose this move.

Hoyer has pledged to attach a strict “pay-as-go” budget law to any legislation that increases the debt limit. He said that negotiations are under way to deal with the concerns regarding pay-as-you-go and the federal deficit.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Looks like the "blue dogs" are the only hope we have left.

edit for spelling

[edit on 12-12-2009 by FortAnthem]

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
The debt ceiling will be reached next week.... so they better hurry up...

Debt ceiling : 12.104 trillion

Current debt : www.brillig.com...

12.099 trillion

www.usdebtclock.org...

12.109... according to them we already reached it...

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Raise the debt ceiling! This is true redistribution of wealth!! Take the wealth away from the people and give it to the government. The government doesn't have to worry about default on the debt. No property held by the US government stands for the public debt,our PRIVATE property does!! Look it up!! They are not only spending our money they are squandering our very existance. They go into default and our country becomes reposessed by the creditor nations.

This nonsense has to be stopped. Common sense tells you that you can't borrow your way out of debt!

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
They want a body of lawmakers and administrative officials set up to address debt reduction? They do not already have this? Wtf have these guys been doing? Whole lotta sweet f'all!!!!

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by heyo

I'm right there with you, I though that was one of the purposes of congress, at least that is what the constitution says.

So what do these geniuses come up with to "reduce the debt" how about they spend money to hire even more wal-street insiders to tell them how to reduced the money. I guess they never heard of this simple solution, CUT THE FREAKING SPENDING!!!

Of course then though they won't get reelected because all the entitlement programs they have promised everybody would go by the wayside. I guess the motto up in Washington is maintain power at all costs.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
This is so twisted. So, what they do is financially ruin us all and then turn around and say that everything is so messed up that they have to be re-elected in order to save us all. This is analogous to running up outrageous amounts of credit card debt that you can't pay and then getting a credit increase.

The politicians in DC literally make me sick.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Everyday I get more and more pissed off! When are we going to stand up and tell them to stop spending our money...and stop spending China's money!!!!

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:02 AM
link   
What does it matter. We dont need food for our families.
We dont need to be properly clothed, we dont need family that loves eachother instead of fighting each other over some politicians shinanigans.
Hell, why dont we just raise it up 4 trillion? Oh Im sorry, 3.8 trillion(dont want to make it seem too big). That way, we can party for another 4 or 5 years and not have to worry about it till that time comes. We can turn in our guns that way we know we will get everything we want from the govt such as....ummm....well whatever they are willing to give us so we dont have to do it ourselves!!
wait I got a better one.... Why dont we just take these people in capital hill, string them up, and let the kids play pinata'? Except instead of candy falling out, we will get all the BS that they have kept hidden for so long.
OHHH OHHH OHHHH....I got it....Waterboarding!!!
Yesss...we will waterboard the truth out of these bastards, they arent
"trained militia members" who can sit there and take it. They will cry, beg, and moan until we get what it is that we want...the truth. By that time though, it will be too late, and their actions would force the people to fight a financial war with other countries in which we wouldnt have the abilities to fight off because we wont have ANY FREAKIN MONEY TO FIGHT WITH!!!!
I still like the pinata idea though.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:10 AM
link   
What is funny is that this is a completely imaginary number.

Let's see, our money is based on what now? Speculation?

Well, if our money is imaginary, then, the debt that is owed is imaginary as well.

So who cares how much the government spends. Not like it means anything.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   
raising my credit limit to allow myself to spend more money that i didnt have, was something i did at the height of my mental illness as a way to avoid reality. perhaps they're all in need of psychotherapy. its helped me significantly and i can confidently say i have my spending under control now

top topics

join