It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Caffeine Conspiracy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Caffeine Nation
Is Coffee Beneficial Or Bad For Americans?

www.cbsnews.com...

- Caffeine is one of the fastest acting drugs known to man. When we drink it, almost every cell in the body, including the brain, absorbs it within minutes. There, caffeine works it’s magic by blocking something called adenosine, a chemical the body releases to tell the brain it’s tired. Caffeine intercepts the adenosine, turning the "I’m tired," message into "I’m wide awake." The result is an invigorating buzz coffee drinkers crave.

"It's the characteristic and hallmark drug of our time," says Weinberg.

And, it’s not just coffee. When you add in tea and caffeinated soft-drinks, more than 80 percent of Americans get their morning fix. -

I want to discuss the phenomenon behind socially acceptable caffeine addiction.

Caffeine is more addictive and physically harmful than marijuana (especially with long term addiction) but it is completely accepted as ok and even normal in society to drink coffee every single day.

Why?

My personal opinion is that the biggest conspiracy in the world is convincing people that food and drugs are different.
This is a social construct.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jezus
My personal opinion is that the biggest conspiracy in the world is convincing people that food and drugs are different.

I don't think that is the case at all...at least here in the US we have the FDA (Food and Drug Administration). They seem to be "lumped together" here.

Personally, I see the opposite view: The biggest conspiracy in the world is convincing people that food and drugs are the same.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
the stigma attached to any narcotic substance tends to be attached to their actions rather than their potential harm. caffeine is seen as acceptable because it isn't particularly intoxicating.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

i would beg to differ

numerous times i drink a cup or two too much, and have this overall dizzy, spaced of feeling. im fully alert..which sounds odd i know...but its def a caffeine high.

then about an hour or two later, i got a hang over.

caffeine is definitely a drug in the purest of definitions.

my mom used to do everything she could to stop me from drinking coffee when i was younger, i did it anyways, the result is a lot of sleep loss, stunted growth...and the feeling some days that i cant make it without a cup of joe.

sounds like crack to me! (said in jest...but you get the point)

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

Originally posted by Jezus

I don't think that is the case at all...at least here in the US we have the FDA (Food and Drug Administration). They seem to be "lumped together" here.

Personally, I see the opposite view: The biggest conspiracy in the world is convincing people that food and drugs are the same.

Well scientifically the difference doesn't exist.

Food is simply made up of different "drugs"

The social construct is identifying some chemicals as specifically drugs because of the way we perceive their effects, while some chemicals are nutrients in food because we “need” them, but it is all a subjective matter of perception.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
A caffeinated society is a calmer society I believe. Being that caffeine is a stimulant, it occupies the brain to be artificially stimulated causing a action prevention action in the population.

The human bodies natural way of feeling stimulated is usually with physical actions like fighting, rioting, screaming, getting exited.

With caffeine this can artificially let the stimulation happen without the anti scocial behavior that naturally causes the stimulation.

So I agree, population control on some level may be helped by the socially acceptable use of caffeine in the populations daily lives.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by wiredamerican
The human bodies natural way of feeling stimulated is usually with physical actions like fighting, rioting, screaming, getting exited.

Wow! Very true... I had never thought of this...

I had always wondered though, WHY caffeine is perfectly alright... yet other drugs aren't.

Is it also a possibility then, assuming what you say is true, that ADD/ADHD is purposefully diagnosed to anyone who shows the slightest symptom of it?

If what you say is true, then methylphenidate HCl would have much the same effect, and prescribed early on to children under 18 would have some rather tremendous effects on future generations? Could it be that this 'legal speed' could replace coffee in the not so far off future?

This is of course nothing but speculation - but your post certainly got me to thinking... a stimulant used as a societal depressant... quite ingenious (if true).

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Caffeine is the drug that lets everybody stay sane while driving to a 9 to 5 at the office every morning.

If not for that, it would probably be illegal for the buzz it produces and mental stimulation.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
How can so many people think caffeine is a good thing? It tricks your body into thinking it should be alert at all times. That's not a balanced state. If you feel tired, depressed, or under aroused, theirs a reason for that. Perhaps your body needs some down time? I think caffeine leads to much more illness than people realize.

I recently stopped drinking green tea because of the caffeine it contains. What happened? I got tired more often, napped more, but also I became non-jittery, less stressed, less paranoid, and more sociable. I think my body needs a good rest, and I'm going to give it what it deserves. Adrenal fatigue is a horrible affliction that I think many people are suffering from, unknowingly.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by wiredamerican

i would have to disagree slightly with this statement.

Since it is a stimulant, like meth-amphetamine for example, the people who intake it will then have the energy and feelings that would get them 'pumped' so to say and do things they wouldn't normally do.

Now on the other hand if amphetamines and stimulants were illegal, and marijuana was legal you would have a much more relax and chill society as people would be more empathetic and laid back.

just my 2 cents, i could also be wrong.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Coffee is good for you! Just today on the news they were announcing some new benefit; forget what it was because I only half listen anymore. I already know its good stuff.

We have evolved in a world full of these chemicals and drugs. It is natural that we use them -- with discretion.

The problem with any drug is in its mis-use or over use. Too much of a good thing and all. The worse thing you can do is drink decaf. There is nothing good in that stuff and lots to harm you.

Just go with the real thing, the natural stuff we have used since the beginning of time. Forget the mixed messages you get from doctors and researchers who only look at one tiny piece of the puzzle completely out its natural context.

Now if only I could get to sleep.
No its not due to coffee. Its due to the beers I had earlier that my body is now producing stimulants to neutralize; except now I'm over stimulated. Maybe I should get up and make a coffee.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Some info i found on caffeine.

What is it:
It is a drug that alters your brains state using the same mechanisms found in drugs like, coc aine and Heroin.

-How does it work?

It is absorbed quickly into the lining of the stomach and small intestine.

It blocks adenosine receptors in your brain. Adenosine causes drowsiness, so cells that would normaly be regulated to slow down by way of adenosine actually speed up now.

Your Pituitary gland sees the cells not slowing down and assumes there is some sort of emergency happening, and it releases hormones into your bloodstream telling your adrenal glands to start pumping.

Your liver releases sugar into the blood stream for extra energy.

-What is it doing to your body?

Your hands may get cold.

Your smooth muscles relax. (Bronchial muscle is smooth muscle. Which is why asthma sufferers are sometimes given caffeine.)

It takes about 45-60 minutes for it to reach peak levels in your bloodstream.

Your dopamine re-uptake is inhibited (this is how it’s like coc aine or heroin), and the pleasure centers of your brain are abnormally stimulated.

Your reaction time to visual and auditory stimuli slows.

www.blisstree.com...

In small doses i don't think it is going to do any damage, but those who have 5-6 cups of coffee per day, plus a soft drink with lunch etc, it can't be doing any good.

also 6 Signs of Caffeine Addiction health.usnews.com...

[edit on 15/12/2009 by wycky]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by wycky

The only problem with coffee is what people put in the drink -- triple sugar. The same goes for soft drinks with caffeine -- its the sugar that is bad for you, or worse yet, corn syrup solids.

There are a plethora of studies out there on the effects of caffeine and/or coffee/tea. Some are negative, but the majority are positive.

For a person who considers carefully what they put into their body, coffee and teas are most definitely on the plus side of the equation when used in moderation; just like moderate amounts of alcohol.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
www.belowtopsecret.com...
You already tried to put this on this forum, and like i told you last time.

Main Entry: 1drug
Pronunciation: \ˈdrəg\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English drogge
Date: 14th century
1 a obsolete : a substance used in dyeing or chemical operations b : a substance used as a medication or in the preparation of medication c according to the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (1) : a substance recognized in an official pharmacopoeia or formulary (2) : a substance intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease (3) : a substance other than food intended to affect the structure or function of the body (4) : a substance intended for use as a component of a medicine but not a device or a component, part, or accessory of a device
2 : a commodity that is not salable or for which there is no demand —used in the phrase drug on the market
3 : something and often an illegal substance that causes addiction, habituation, or a marked change in consciousness
— drug·gy also drug·gie \ˈdrə-gē\ adjective

Yes so coffee is a drug...
But so is Asprin, insulin, robotussin and pepto bismol. So what is your point?

The concept of drug is not a social construct, it is well defined in the dictionary and i have posted the deffinition (this is the only forum where i have to define words for people). Caffine is a drug as well as asprin and heroin however there are numerous laws that surround drugs besides which ones are legal and which ones are not. There are legal drugs and there are drugs that are not, that does not mean that all illegal drugs are the same or pose the same risk it just means they are illegal.

and

The opening post about coffee being a drug was really just a very insincere post so you could respond if "coffee is a drug and people use it I should be able to use pot.

and slapping the word conspiracy on there does not make it a conspiracy.

[edit on 15-12-2009 by zaiger]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
If you react badly to caffeine, don't drink it.

I prefer mine hot, black and strong with no sugar or that other poison: milk.

Personally I attribute violence to milk drinkers, because I'm not violent and I don't drink milk.

Really, I would criminalize milk if I could, or at least criminalize forcing it on the lactose-intolerant.
(Sorry...grade-school memories)

But differences in how our bodies process different chemicals shouldn't be the basis for laws or regulations.

You're an adult, drink it or don't, and accept that others enjoy it without much drama.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Jezus

Caffeine is more addictive and physically harmful than marijuana

You have anything to back that up? Marijuana is addictive just like caffine and tobacco. While they do not have gut wrenching hollywood heroin type looking withdrawls, not everyone that smokes pot can simply just stop whenever they want to.

but it is completely accepted as ok and even normal in society to drink coffee every single day.

Like i said earlier many people drink coffee and it is seen as okay. Many people take asprin and tylenol and it is okay. The big difference is that the guy that drinks a cup of coffee does not have a reputation for being funny for doing and saying stupid things.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger

Caffeine is more addictive and physically harmful than marijuana

You have anything to back that up? Marijuana is addictive just like caffine and tobacco. While they do not have gut wrenching hollywood heroin type looking withdrawls, not everyone that smokes pot can simply just stop whenever they want to.

I think the difference is that for pot it's called "psychological dependence" and for caffeine, you actually CAN have physical withdrawals.

Take my own father as an example. He drinks strong coffee every morning, and has for years. Also through the day. When he doesn't drink his coffee in the morning, not only does he say he has trouble getting up (duh), but he gets a headache that doesn't go away until he gets his caffeine.

Unfortunately I also have an alcoholic friend who gets headaches until he starts drinking. Looks like the same thing to me.

I've never heard of anyone having physical symptoms from not getting their pot.

I drink a LOT of tea, very strong tea, so that it gives me a noticeable "buzz." This thread is really making me reconsider that, after reading that these are some of the same "feel-good" mechanisms that heroin makes use of...
Plus adrenaline is really hard on your body, and this stuff causes it to be released?

Like I said, this stuff would be illegal if not for propping up so many people in their 9 to 5's. Not saying that would be right or that I would endorse it, but it really doesn't seem much better than many other illegal drugs, and in fact worse than many of them.

[edit on 15-12-2009 by bsbray11]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

First off i never said that caffine had no withdrawl effects, but i was asking the OP to provide some proof of the claim that caffine is worse than pot.
www.marijuanapassion.com...
stoners agree, there is pot withdrawl.

Not saying that would be right or that I would endorse it, but it really doesn't seem much better than many other illegal drugs, and in fact worse than many of them.

Yes please share with us some of the many drugs you claim that caffine is worse than.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   

First off i never said that caffine had no withdrawl effects, but i was asking the OP to provide some proof of the claim that caffine is worse than pot.

If you are going to be biased against pot just because it's pot, then there is no evidence in the world that is going to convince you. I'm under the impression that that's the boat you're sailing on.

I have already seen all the evidence I need to see on this same thread. Just look at what caffeine causes your body to do. Adrenaline itself is very harmful to your body, which is why it is only released in emergency situations. Caffeine makes your body think its in an emergency situation. It is also very addictive and causes physical dependence. The worst damage pot does is to your lungs and your memory, and I'm still not convinced dependence to pot is anything other than psychological (ie all in your head).

Yes please share with us some of the many drugs you claim that caffine is worse than.

andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com...

Caffeine is not included on that list, but off the top of my head, caffeine is more physically addictive and damaging to your body than

Marijuana
'___' (is less toxic per dosage than Vitamin C, not addictive)
Psilocybin mushrooms (also not toxic, non-addictive)
Salvia (non-toxic, non-addictive, now illegal in some states)

Beyond that, I can't tell you, but the above chart even shows that those 3 substances are relatively very harmless to your body. Now what someone chooses to do/does out of their own incoherence, when on these substances, is another discussion entirely... For example, if you try to fly and jump out of a window and kill yourself, yeah.

Before reading this I always wondered if I felt my adrenaline kicking in when I would drink a lot of tea. I guess the answer is "yes." That is definitely not healthy. Adrenaline itself is much harder on your body than pot, and commonly results in overdose when administered externally. And caffeine releases it.

[edit on 15-12-2009 by bsbray11]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   

The concept of drug is not a social construct, it is well defined in the dictionary and i have posted the deffinition (this is the only forum where i have to define words for people). Caffine is a drug as well as asprin and heroin however there are numerous laws that surround drugs besides which ones are legal and which ones are not. There are legal drugs and there are drugs that are not, that does not mean that all illegal drugs are the same or pose the same risk it just means they are illegal.

The idea of "drugs" is of course a social construct; it being in the dictionary is irrelevant.

The reason our concept of drugs is a social construct is because we irrationally distinguish certain chemicals from others because we subjectively perceive some of the effects as “good”, “bad”, or “necessary ”.

Food can be made up of many different chemicals or “drugs” and we have obviously found some these chemicals to be useful or entertaining.
The fact that people don’t really consider drinking coffee or soda as “doing drugs” reveals the hypocrisy and ridiculousness of this social construct.

Besides the fact the caffeine is more physically addictive it is also more mentally addictive because many people think they “need” it to function and do their jobs.

I'm not saying drinking caffeine is bad, I just think it is funny how many “drug addicts” by their own definitions would look down at someone eating a marijuana brownie while they jug their giant caffeine fix from Dunkin Donuts…

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join