It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ten years where are the movies?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I just got done watching Generatioin Kill, the HBO miniseries on the 1st Marine Recon's initial involvement in the invasion of Iraq. It was the first realistic portrayal of war more specifically the war in the middle east I've ever seen.

I'm surprised there aren't more war movies being made ala Black Hawk Down. I know they are working on one covering the story of Marcus Luttrell and the Navy Seals that were killed. But other than that I've only seen limp wristed dramas come out about this war. Makes me more confident in my opinion that we are so far removed from what's going on and what the war on terror is really like. I don't expect Hollywood to paint a clear picture of war but I think BlackHawkDown was a pretty good portrayal of what our guys go through. I think US society could use a few PLATOON and BHD movies coming out of Hollywood right now.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Moreover where are the documentaries? I haven't seen or heard about many that really portray what's going on over in Iraq and Afghanistan. Mostly just articles in papers, books, and print literature. Why not more documentary type coverage?

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Yeah, I've been looking forward to the documentary 'Severe Clear' to finally be released, but the makers keep stalling. I would love to see that one. I much prefer the documentary view point w/ authentic footage than some movie from Hollywood.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by hhcore

Well I agree but some Hollywood movies make war very realistic and accurate in my opinion. Black Hawk Down I think is the best example. Although many Vietnam movies have shown very accurate depictions of war.

I think both are important. Have not heard about this documentary you are talking about but I just checked out the preview for the trailer and you'd be surprised just how realistic Generation is compared to the preview I just saw. It was a pretty gritty HBO miniseries. At least so far.

[edit on 12-12-2009 by Zosynspiracy]

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
reply to post by hhcore

Although many Vietnam movies have shown very accurate depictions of war.

BHD was very well done, I just lean more to the Docs - Now my brother tried showing me one based in Nam' called 'Tunnel Rats'. Probably one of the worst depictions ever - equipment not period correct, oh, it was horrible. Maybe made the 10 min. mark on that one. I love also 'Full Metal Jacket' - that's my favorite Nam movie.

Edit to add - Gen - Kill is an awesome series, in the same league as Band of Brothers.

[edit on 12/12/2009 by hhcore]

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
One of the things they don't tell you about black hawk down is that they left behind the bodies of their own marines (as if that should have mattered- dead bodies are just an empty shell-), and that one of the helicopters crash landed on a baby in the middle of the street, and that one of the 'heroes' of Black Hawk Down is an child rapist. www.papillonsartpalace.com...

So... Movies made to portay war is usually filled with BS.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

While I agree with you that still doesn't depict from the realism and gore of the film that was Black Hawk Down. And was the sodomy and child rape thing done before or after that soldier's tour in Somalia? Not that it matters as what he did is sick. But I'm sure war brings out the worst in human beings. Look at Roman Polanksi though? How is he any different? I'm sure millions of people glorify his films.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Maybe it's because we are still over there. IMO people don't want to watch war movies about a war that is still ongoing. Of course, I could be wrong.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Well there was a game that was being made called Six Days in Fallujah, but was canned. I know it's not a movie, but it was canceled because they thought it was inappropriate or something of the sort. Here is an excerpt from Wiki:

Six Days in Fallujah is a third-person shooter video game described by the developer, Atomic Games, as a survival horror game. It is the first game to focus directly on Operation Iraqi Freedom[3], mainly the Second Battle of Fallujah or Operation Phantom Fury.[3] The game follows a squad of U.S. Marines from 3rd Battalion 1st Marines over the span of six days. The premise of the game has been the subject of controversy; with questions have been raised as to its appropriateness, especially given the fact that the true event the game is based upon was so recent.

en.wikipedia.org...

I know it's not a movie
, but it does make one think that perhaps movies and games of the caliber that are being canned before the idea gets brought up or gets to far, because as Aggie Man said. We are still over there and more than likely people don't want to see it, or play it for that matter.

Actually that brings up a good question I haven't seen much of what's going on over therein light of recent events.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

All the more reason to make movies and documentaries. If people can't stomach to watch a make believe movie about the horrors of modern day warfare maybe they can't stomach the reality of war and will fight to end both and bring our troops home.

One thing I realized about watching documentaries and movies about the way in which wars are fought is the complete bureaucracy involved in fighting a war nowadays. It's no wonder we can't win a war with our rules of engagement and top down bureaucracy hampering what soldiers are trained to do.......fight the enemy. Generation Kill is a perfect, realistic example of this.

It's also an example of how the majority of troops on the frontline are some of the most disenfranchised young men our country has to offer. What does that say about our culture and society? Disgusting. I should be over there fighting, along with every able bodied young college kid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Either we are for or against this war as a country. But it's unfair regardless of an all voluntary military force that some young men are living in pleasure while their military counterparts are over there living through hell on earth.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
reply to post by Aggie Man

All the more reason to make movies and documentaries. If people can't stomach to watch a make believe movie about the horrors of modern day warfare maybe they can't stomach the reality of war and will fight to end both and bring our troops home.

You say all the more reason...I say all the less reason. Folks don't want to see it, so there's no money in it. So, why, oh why would Hollywood dare go into a money losing venture in these economic times?

I agree that documentary should be done in order to show the horrific things going on....but there are documentaries out there.

EDIT: BTW, here is a wiki link that lists 52 Documentaries on Iraq. Maybe not all are war related, but many are...

en.wikipedia.org...:Iraq_War_documentaries

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 12-12-2009 by Aggie Man]

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I have never been in the military so, i do not care one bit for war movies, like alot of you.

I also do not watch modern movies, so i do not care either, lol.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
What about the movie "Jar Head". Thats recent as far as the mideast wars go. There is also a russian flick about afghanistan that has really good war scenes.
Russian movie in full(broken into 10 min segments)
www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordBaskettIV
What about the movie "Jar Head". Thats recent as far as the mideast wars go.

I own a copy of 'Jarhead' and I like that flick alot, too. But yeah, that one portrays the first gulf war conflict. Say about the time frame of 3 Kings - Even though the two are worlds apart as far as story gos'.

Edit to add - I'll be checking that russian story out too, as it looks interesting - thanks for the link.

[edit on 12/12/2009 by hhcore]

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

I agree with you fully.

I remember seeing Black Hawk Down as a child, I went into it thinking all the normal childhood war fantasies of how it's "awesome" and all of that...I walked out of the theater shocked and for the first time I could remember appalled.

Movies that show the reality of war are some of the best to get the public to really think before they put their support behind a war of any kind.

Since Black Hawk Down, I have looked at war as a gruesome and horrific thing that I wish upon no one.

I think they should be making and releasing movies or docs that are true to the realities of war. War is not pretty. Seeing BHD made me even think twice about playing war with my friends. Our youngsters need to see things like that so when they grow up, they have a better understanding.

[edit on 12/12/2009 by iamsupermanv2]

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by iamsupermanv2

Yeah when I was a kid I used to LOVE to play army with my friends. And for our age it was pretty realistic meaning that I would go to the old army surplus stores and buy actual military gear from Vietnam and WWII. I had quite the collection. Some of it is priceless nowadays. I had the realistic pineapple grenades without the guts, old ammo boxes of empty brass casings etc. My friends and I would build sand bag bunkers etc. I was really into it. So much so that I almost passed up college to go into the military. The only reason I wished I would have gone into the military vs. college is the friendship and true brotherhood I think I would have encountered. College friendships among males is so superficial in many regards. That is one thing I struggle with nowadays. I miss having really close male friends who's bond is more than just a beer or watching a football game together. I have brothers of my own so maybe that's why.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

What does the thread title mean by ten years?

It's been six years since the invasion of Iraq....not ten.

top topics

join