It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YLOD PS3 issue.....or a Military issue

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Ok my PS3 just gave up....Got the dreaded yellow light of death (YLOD).
This seems to be an extremely increasing problem with the old 60GB PS3's. What I am asking is this.....Are you also seeing this increase happening ?
Its all since the folding@home project seems to have taken off.....I understand also, that the military seems to be buying hundreds of PS3's to make some sort of supercomputer. I want to know if anyone knows about the problem.
It feels to me like a scam or something entirely strange happenings. This is not just me....over the past 5 weeks I have heard from about a dozen people losing their PS3's through this.
Any idea what is happening....Could the military surge the PS network ?

BTW as Im typing this.....my son is watching Billy and Mandy saves Christmas on Cartoon Network....weird that even cartoon characters are specifficaly mentioning in their words..... A NEW WORLD ORDER.

[edit on 12-12-2009 by flylead]

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Or perhaps it's got to do with the life-cycle of the hardware.
Or some other general issue, such as how much dust accumulates inside affecting hardware performance till the point it just crashes?
Who knows.
But I doubt it has anything to do with the military. The military if they are buying stacks of PS3's to build a super computer(first I've heard of this), would most certainly not connect it up to the public Playstation Network.

On another issue, if you have owned your PS3 for under 12 months, call Sony because they repair them free of charge. If you've owned it for over 12 months, then they charge you. It might be worth just buying a new 120gb slim PS3, as my PS3 died as well(freezes with multicoloured lines/squares everywhere after half an hour of play), and Sony wants $250 to repair it..Australian dollars mind you, and a new PS3 slim 120gb is around $499 here.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Yes.............The US military have bought and also sidelined thousands of PS3's to enable them to use as a supercomputer.
Why......I dont know

My point is....have they been given priority over the common buyer, so slowly we are given a surge to rid us off their network. This problem seems to only be on the old PS3's.....so why would the military buy up hundreds of old playstations if they are liable to break down ?.....THEY LOVE THE OLD 60 GIG.....What do they do with it, what we cant ?

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I think its a design fault and nothing more really. There was a piece on Watchdog here in the UK a few months ago and they had a guy fixing them within 20 mins quite easily.

I am at work at the moment so cant find you some info on the program but when I get home I will search it out for you as hopefully you will be able to use the technique to easily get your PS3 going again. My friend did it to his ps3 and got it going again.

Is yours out of warranty though? ifs its still under warranty then best bet is send it back but if its outside (my friends machine was like 5 days ouotside warranty lol)

Ignore the above here is a link to the story with vid:

www.bbc.co.uk...

I will also try ask my friend what he actually did.

Peace

Edit - link added, will speak to friend when i get home.

[edit on 12-12-2009 by tempest501]

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
The problem is mainly thought to affect the 60GB launch model, but Sony repeatedly refuses to release the failure rate for that model, claiming that the information is "commercially sensitive".

My exact point.......its only the model the US Military are interested in...why if it is prone to breakdown?
Perhaps maybe the new PS3 has an in built knowledge of who we are once we sign up to the network.

Every corner has a conspiracy in work boots as far as Im concerned. This is a strange occurence for so many to break down.

www.hirdyman.co.uk...

scitech.blogs.cnn.com...

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
The short answer is, you bought a piece of crap. It has nothing to do with whatever the military decide to use them for. The simple fact is that due to demand, corners get cut in the manufacturing or parts supply chain, and the end result is a load of garbage waiting to be offloaded on the ever gullible consumer, you. This sort of defectiveness is not limited to the PS3, or even Sony (who tend to turn out alot of trash these days), but vast amounts of consumer goods in varying degrees. See AMD's first quad cores and nVidias defective G92 gpus. It happens all the time, you ain't special.

[edit on 12-12-2009 by fumanchu]

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by fumanchu
The short answer is, you bought a piece of crap. It has nothing to do with whatever the military decide to use them for. The simple fact is that due to demand, corners get cut in the manufacturing or parts supply chain, and the end result is a load of garbage waiting to be offloaded on the ever gullible consumer, you. This sort of defectiveness is not limited to the PS3, or even Sony (who tend to turn out alot of trash these days), but vast amounts of consumer goods in varying degrees. See AMD's first quad cores and nVidias defective G92 gpus. It happens all the time, you ain't special.

[edit on 12-12-2009 by fumanchu]

Ah geez.....Thanks.
I now have peace of mind........I presume ???
Is that your answer ?
Its so crap that the military buy up thousands......explain that for me please

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by flylead

What the military do has no bearing on what happens to your PS3, why you think it does is beyond me. Or do you just assume everything has something to do with you in some nefarious way, if so you need some help.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by fumanchu
reply to post by flylead

What the military do has no bearing on what happens to your PS3, why you think it does is beyond me. Or do you just assume everything has something to do with you in some nefarious way, if so you need some help.

Exactly my point.....they aint gamers are they...so they would not care what happened to my personal PS3.. which is a game station. I dont assume Im a target for a defunct game player.....But you seem so objective to my point....Why do they buy crap if you presume I bought crap that would break down, but you give credence to a military that has judgement for a system that is crap.
I will say this....I think Sony has a worry about the Linux OS which the military want.....we are being zapped away from it......Its not in the new ones....why ?

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
This is long winded and probably a painful read, summed up at the bottom so skim down if you're impatient. :-P

To the OP...

Sorry to burst your bubble but I'm pretty sure I have a good answer for you in regards to why they bought thousands of the cheap 60gb PS3's. The PS3 in general, regardless of which sized harddive, is a BADASS computer. The ONLY thing it lacks, is memory. If you could up it, you would have you a serious computer for a much cheaper price than going out and buying a PC. The government has no wish to play games (I don't think) so it's only logical they plan on taking out the computing power from each one, rigging them together to make a super computer as you yourself said. Why buy the cheap ones? Well, why buy expensive ones when you can get cheap ones? Sony knows they are damaged, so I would assume the government probably got a good price for them.

So you paid what, 500 hundred bucks for it when it was new? Buying in bulk = discount plus buying damaged goods = discount. So they are getting a really good deal on REALLY good computers.

"But they are damaged!!" So? Like the guy up there said, it's an easy 20 minute fix most of the time. Besides, it's probably just some stupid little thing that causes it, and since they are going to gut the PS3's anyway, you know a lot of the internals are going to be trashed and replaced with better parts. After all, I'm sure all they want from the PS3's are the processors n such.

Summed up: PS3 has lot's of computing power, for cheap price. 60gb have a known failure that is easily fixed the majority of the time. Put those two things together and you just made a really good deal on the core parts needed to make a "super computer" as you called it.

No conspiracy that I can see. Damn it.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by OpenMindCuriousMind
This is long winded and probably a painful read, summed up at the bottom so skim down if you're impatient. :-P

To the OP...

Sorry to burst your bubble but I'm pretty sure I have a good answer for you in regards to why they bought thousands of the cheap 60gb PS3's. The PS3 in general, regardless of which sized harddive, is a BADASS computer. The ONLY thing it lacks, is memory. If you could up it, you would have you a serious computer for a much cheaper price than going out and buying a PC. The government has no wish to play games (I don't think) so it's only logical they plan on taking out the computing power from each one, rigging them together to make a super computer as you yourself said. Why buy the cheap ones? Well, why buy expensive ones when you can get cheap ones? Sony knows they are damaged, so I would assume the government probably got a good price for them.

So you paid what, 500 hundred bucks for it when it was new? Buying in bulk = discount plus buying damaged goods = discount. So they are getting a really good deal on REALLY good computers.

"But they are damaged!!" So? Like the guy up there said, it's an easy 20 minute fix most of the time. Besides, it's probably just some stupid little thing that causes it, and since they are going to gut the PS3's anyway, you know a lot of the internals are going to be trashed and replaced with better parts. After all, I'm sure all they want from the PS3's are the processors n such.

Summed up: PS3 has lot's of computing power, for cheap price. 60gb have a known failure that is easily fixed the majority of the time. Put those two things together and you just made a really good deal on the core parts needed to make a "super computer" as you called it.

No conspiracy that I can see. Damn it.

now YOU have put my mind at ease......thankyou for being courteous and informative.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by flyleaf

I dont think its that at all. There was some scientists that built a supercomputer with PS3s to simulate a blackhole or birth of a galaxy or something, that didn't seem to cause any problems. who knows though our government is always up to something fishy.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
They actually bought them to break encryption. The reason they bought the old ones is because Linux can't be installed on the new ones, so if they bought the new ones they'd basically have a bunch of consoles that they had no means of writing software for.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I think the bigger question should be this...

why do these new systems ALWAYS fail like this?

The XBox did it(still does)...the PS3 does it..i dont know about the Wii...

I have friends that it happened to them after using it a few times, others who play it all the time.

why do they use us for their final test stage, THEN release the final fixed problem.

same with cell phones and such.

i dont know...maybe i'm speaking out my rear end.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by flylead

You're quite welcome. Glad I could help.

2nd line

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by iamsupermanv2

Xbox does it, yes, on all versions of the 360. This is why I bought a PLaystation.

Playstation does it, "mostly" if not always on the 60gb version, probably just bad harddrives for one reason or another. That's why I bought to 80gb.

Nintendo doesn't.

Moral of the Story? Never, ever trust Micro$oft

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Military did no such thing.

they dont need hardware thats already in the public.

the military has technology that will make your head spin. they dont need old PS3 to power a computer.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Tesla
Military did no such thing.

they dont need hardware thats already in the public.

the military has technology that will make your head spin. they dont need old PS3 to power a computer.

Actually they did.

2200 of them, to be exact.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by fumanchu

I can't help but to laugh at replies like this, especially when they are torpedoed by actual documentation that refutes the premise of the naysaying reply, and the outright narcissism of the naysaying poster who believes he/she has special knowledge that no one else is privy to.

To the OP, good thread. And to LiquidLight, good find.

End of message

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
My first PS3 would freeze up on loading screens after about 30 iutes of play, my 2nd one is doing fine, no problems

top topics

join