It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Copenhagen Treaty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Forgeting the arguement of Global warming for a second. I am trying to highlight the dangers of what is proposed at Copenhagen. I have printed and have started to read the treaty but I think its going to take a while. I am going to highlight the things that a worrying.

Just wondered if anyone has done the same to help me get going as i have an insane work schedule until 2nd week in Jan and want to get going.

The aim is eventually to get it online and try get it round the community and spread the word etc.

I am also doing the same with the climategate material, downloaded and printing them so I can go over them. Cant really look at the data in too much depth as the code will prob be over my head allthough I will give it ago.

Peace

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Good idea mate I have some time on my hands I might give it a read haven't even searched for it yet are there any links on where it can be found?

Like you said the whole carbon thing aside i've heard some nasty things that might be in the treaty but should read for myself to see what's acttualy in it.

I'll go have a search myself right now.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Bachfin

Apologies, I meant was supposed to attach a link to the file. Its about 180 pages and quite quick to print.

Here it is: unfccc.int...

I am def going to read through it as well and have started. Just really want to get some points out to my local community asap so they can see it for themselves rather than taking my word for it.

Thanks for offering to help, I will also get round to scanning things of intrest in as soon as I can so people can see on here too. Same with climate gate materials.

Peace

[edit on 12-12-2009 by tempest501]

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Just thought I would add a link to the climategate emails too for those that are intrested:

www.eastangliaemails.com...

Peace

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Captain Climate gives his thumbs up to the Copenhagen Treaty, what a brilliant job they are doing at saving the planet from evil man made Co2 "Captain Climates worst enemy"

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Bump (for info later)

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
thx for the links
i'll put them to good use.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Thought I would add this article from the Daily Mail as I found it quite intresting

www.dailymail.co.uk...

I sure wish I had some time off work to really get my teeth into this. Ill get there eventually though.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Clause 33 on page 39 says that:

"by 2020 the scale of financial flows to support adaptation in developing countries must be [at least $67 billion] or [in the range of $70 billion to $140 billion per year]."

The draft text sets out various alternatives, including this on page 135:

"a [global] levy of 2 per cent on international financial market [monetary] transactions to Annex I Parties."

(Annex 1 countries are industrialized countries, like Britain and the US etc.)

When i get some real time to sink my teeth into this I will scan the pages in with highlights.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Some more pdfs have been added to UN site too, new drafts to look at:

www.unfcc.it

Peace

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Found something remarkable:

The shared vision for long-term cooperative action recognizes the strong link between adaptation
and mitigation as well as the cross-cutting role played by financing, technology transfer and capacitybuilding.
Failure to implement ambitious and immediate mitigation actions by developed countries will
increase the need for adaptation in developing countries and therefore for financial support.
.At the same
time, increased financial support and technology transfer to developing countries will help these
countries in their implementation of NAMAs, reducing the risk of crossing tipping points that could
result in abrupt climate change.

Source

Gotta love this stuff! Telling the developed coutries, that they will be financing the "developing" countries. Priceless!

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
This "COP" doesn't sound too far from a global government either:

Option 1
21. The COP, as the supreme body of the Convention, shall exercise its authority over and provide
guidance to the financial mechanism, and shall decide on its operation and on the policies, programme
priorities and eligibility criteria for financing purposes.
22. The COP shall appoint a board,9 which shall function under the authority and guidance of and be
accountable to the COP, to manage the financial mechanism and the related facilitative mechanism, funds
and bodies, which shall have an equitable and balanced representation of all Parties within a transparent
system of governance, to address all aspects of the means of implementation for developing countries, for
both adaptation and mitigation.
23. The role and remit of the COP in the modalities and procedures of such a mechanism must be
clear, including the setting of operational guidelines, the election of executive board members, approval
of final budgets, and audit process or verification.
24. The Board shall be assisted by a dedicated secretariat of professional staff contracted by the
Board.

Source

Sounds to me that this "COP" will have alot of power and resources.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
have you found the bit about a Communist New World Order coming into effect. No? Well i look forward to reading it

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
have you found the bit about a Communist New World Order coming into effect. No? Well i look forward to reading it

No but, sarcasm aside, I wasn't looking for a "Communist New World Order".

But, with the quotes I found, the way I read it, there could be a global governmental committee founded to govern all financial aspects of the develop(ed) and developing countries.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by havok

Certainly looks possible doesnt it. Thanks for the input Im still going through it as well and highlighting and will scan em in once done.

Peace

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Page 122,

**Not sure i like the look of 17 lol**

15. [Developed country Parties [shall][should] provide support to developing country Parties, particularly those specified in Articles 4.8 and 4.9 of the Convention, in order to allow developing country Parties to address issues related to social and environmental development, economic diversification, risk assessment, modelling and insurance to prevent the adverse effects of the spillover effects.] Alternative to paragraph 15:
[In the implementation of paragraphs 11 (c)11 and 11 (d)12 above (159.1 and 159.2 in FCCC/AWGLCA/2009/INF.1) , through the provision of financial resources, including for access, development and transfer of technology, at agreed full incremental costs in accordance with Article 4.3 of the Convention;
Recognizing that there are ways and means to reduce or avoid such impacts through careful and informed selection of policies and measures, to evaluate the effectiveness of existing tools, and to consider new ones, in order to assist developing country Parties in addressing these impacts.]
16. [Adverse economic and social consequences of response measures [shall][should] be addressed by proper economic, social and environmental actions, including promoting and supporting economic diversification and the development and dissemination of win-win technologies in the affected countries, paying particular attention to the needs and concerns of the poorest and most vulnerable developing country Parties.]
Alternative to paragraph 16:
[Adverse economic and social consequences of response measures shall be addressed by various means, including but not limited to promoting, supporting and enabling economic diversification, funding, insurance and the development, transfer and dissemination of win-win technologies in the affected countries, such as cleaner fossil fuel technologies, gas flaring reduction, and carbon capture and storage technologies.]
17. [[Developed [and developing] countries] [Developed and developing country Parties] [All Parties] [shall] [should]:]
(a) Compensate for damage to the LDCs’ economy and also compensate for lost opportunities, resources, lives, land and dignity, as many will become environmental refugees;
(b) Africa, in the context of environmental justice, should be equitably compensated for environmental, social and economic losses arising from the implementation of response measures.

top topics

join