It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you ever been addicted to a song?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I'm sure you know what I mean. I have this one song stuck in my head, and whenever I am not listening to it, I am either singing it out loud or thinking it in my head. I do this until I get the chance to listen to it again. It is a really weird phenomenon and has happened to me with many many songs. This is not necessarily a bad thing, I just think it is a very intriguing topic. Thoughts and comments?

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Yep, constantly throughout my life so far, I've always had one song or another that I just can't get out of my head. Sometimes even can't get to sleep it is so "loud" in there!!

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Nifty little topic, might be a bad time to post it, may need a few bumps.
There is a name for them they are called earworms
and they suck.

They stay in your head so long, you end up hating a song you liked until
that happened.
They really suck when it's a song you already hate.

never mind.

[edit on 12-12-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   
You could say I am a new member in the fact that I have just started being much more active in discussions, and also starting my own threads. One of my most intriguing threads would be the one in my signature. That one also needs help being bumped. Care to assist?

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by CaninE.G

When i was young, i never understood what people liked about music, until i heard nirvanas smells like teen spirit one night in a disco, at this uni disco.

I just loved that song, i finally knew why people liked music. I am sure there is more going on in these things then we know, as nirvana music changed me.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Boy have I, and it is rarely the good songs that get stuck in my head and more times than not some lame song I don't even like that stays with me for days on end. Elton John's "I'm Still Standing" I think is one of the dumbest songs ever written but every time I hear it, I'm stuck with it for days and days. "High Hopes" is not Frank Sinatra's finest moment and it is not the lamest song, but that song will stay with me for weeks, even if I've heard "Summer Wind" or "Chicago" or any other of the great songs Sinatra recorded in between hearing "High Hopes". Whether at work, home or just walking down the street, I'll be singing to my self..."what makes that little old ant think he can move a rubber tree plant? Everyone knows and ant can't move a rubber tree plant"!

Lee Greenwood's sycophantic and ridiculous ode to sentimental jingoism; "I'm Proud To Be An American" is another song I can't stand. Not that I'm ashamed to be an American, and I can get pretty darned annoyed when in this site reading all the "You Americans..." nonsense from other posters, but Greenwood's maudlin song is not very well written, not performed all that terribly well and is shameless in its attempt to be liked as a song. Yet, every time I hear this stupid song, there it is, dancing around my brain, at night before I go to bed, first thing in the morning when I wake up and in the shower...arghhhhh!

The Clash wrote some great songs but why is it always "Rock the Casbah" that stays with me? I love Bruce Springsteen, and the vast majority of his songs are fantastic and if it weren't for "Dancing in the Dark" he might have a flawless play list, yet every time I hear that song...well, you get the picture. I avoid television just so I won't wind up singing the theme song to the Brady Bunch over and over. Gawd! Prince is either great or incredibly stooooopid with his songs and guess what...yep, you guessed it, its always the stupid songs that stay with me. Oh well, what makes that little old ant think he can move a rubber tree plant? He's got high hopes of course! I have high hopes that the next song that sticks with me will be a truly great song instead of the "ironic song" by what's her name....Kerplop!

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 06:01 AM
link   
There was a science fiction short story about the phenomenon that I read many years ago. It was called "Rum titi titi titi tum ta tee' (phonetically; but see after note below).

The plot was straightforward, the ditty being a neurological version of ice-nine from Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle. That is, the human race flirts with paralysis, being unable to get this rhythm, not even a whole song, out of its heads. A "viral" contagion, long before memes were recognized.

Hell, here we are years later. I forget the author, the spelling, the details... but damned if I don't remember the rhythm
. Oh well, I wasn't planning to do anything important today anyway...

---

(After note The story is Fritz Leiber, Jr.'s 1958 "Rump-Titty-Titty-Tum-TAH-Tee." I suppose it's just as well that I rendered it phonetically, what with all that salacious anatomical resonance
. I also interpolated an extra titi, but I edited that in; what I first recalled was correct.

Hmm, the virus mutated; Darwin rules.)

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Discipline by Nine Inch Nails, not even one of his best but couldn't get it out of my head for weeks. Funny considering the subject matter of the lyrics.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Tupac Songs ...and i love it,,,!!!!Nice Thread !!

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Deffinately, Telstar by the Tornados, been humming it for years, it just pops in my head for no reason sometimes and i'm left humming it for days

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Bad Romance by Lady Gaga, it really bothered me that I liked a Lady Gaga song until I did a bit of research on her and it turns out that she is actually an accomplished musician, she was accepted to Julliard at 11 and I heard her sing a couple things without the aid of synthesizers and what not and she is really good. Fortunately, it's the only song she has that I like.

When I was a kid, my parents took me to see Madam Butterfly and I had Un Bel Vedremo stuck in my head for weeks, but I suppose there are worse songs you can have stuck in your head, occasionally I will get Nocturne for violin and piano (Chopin) stuck in there, but I think that comes from months and months of trying to learn to play that song correctly lol

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Yes, it happens all the time.
I believe certain songs carry out frequencies.
It makes your brain feel good.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Not only do I constantly loop songs around my head all day and night but I also create drum patterns all the time by finger tapping (even now, when I paused to check for spelling I was tapping out a beat against the mousemat without even realising it, I can create some complex beats these days as I've been doing it so long). I did used to be in a band around 15 years back, so it probably stemmed from that. I also think there's a slight dose of O.C.D involved when the habit stretches to this degree. I don't like quoting cliches but music really is food for the soul.

I've even ordered a beatbox stylophone so I can just sit there creating little tunes even whilst I'm just sitting there watching the tele, if I don't let out some creativity every day or two I feel like I'll burst.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Most recently for past few months it's been the instrumental of Marilyn Manson's "If I Was Your Vampire".....
If I Was Your Vampire
....Damn now I gotta go listen to it again!

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   
click it I dare ya! Ellen Degenerous lol

[edit on 13-12-2009 by randyvs]

new topics

top topics

join