It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's Wrong with today's Religious Holidays

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I wonder why in recent years religious holidays are increasingly more associated with Materialism and Consumerism instead Faith and Spirituality?

[edit on 12-12-2009 by masonicon]

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   

It's not just a conspiracy, it's an advent conspiracy

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Tv man, in this day in age people worship money. there is no more meaning behind these holidays other than to collect money or gifts for no reason. You don't need presents to celebrate these seasons but now-a-days its all about material possession determining who you are and how you should feel. People have lost themselves.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Its all about seeing how much money can be fleeced from the consumer in the shortest amount of time. And the guilt involved in not "giving to your loved ones" is very very strong.

Never mind that we've been conditioned not only to "give" but to "recieve" at Christmas, Easter, etc. And whoa-be-tide if you don't get your kids the latest gadget, technology, clothing too, because they EXPECT it. They too have been programmed.

Is it too late? Well maybe. In my world, the mere act of "giving" one year to World Vision on behalf of kids, siblings, & family, was sneered at & not recommended for next year!

Maybe we've actually been conditioned to "recieve" ----and recieve BIG!!!

So, IMHO, its all about money & greed! The symbolism of Chrismas, for example, has been forgotten & now we all worship the Fat Man in the Red Suit who better stick expensive "stuff" under the Christmas Tree -----if he know's what's good for him!!!

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I am not going to be celebrating Christmas this year, because I cannot afford a plane ticket back to my homeland. Instead, I am going to be spending it in the residence halls with all the other kids that don't get to go home for the holidays. I am not planning on getting anyone anything material. What I want to do is make friends with all the college kids left behind like me and give them some happiness. I want to spread the love that I have in my heart and soul. That is all that is needed. Material things are stupid.

Starred and flagged, brah. good topic. Hope this thread succeeds.

[edit on 12-12-2009 by CaninE.G]

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by masonicon

I wonder why in recent years religious holidays are increasingly more associated with Materialism and Consumerism instead Faith and Spirituality?

It's because, especially in the case of Christmas, people aren't adherents of the faith that the holiday is apart of. They don't believe in the religion, and thus, the need for the holiday having the faith and spirituality twist is unneeded. That coupled with people's never-ending desire for stuff has turned holidays into what they are today because advertizers are able to morph the given holiday into what they want it to be, knowing that the masses will simply follow because they have no other anchor holding them in place.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by masonicon

Well, it hasn't been in recent years, its been happening for decades now. Especially in America. All of the previous posts are correct, greed and money.

Originally posted by SpinifexPrincessNever mind that we've been conditioned not only to "give" but to "recieve" at Christmas, Easter, etc. And whoa-be-tide if you don't get your kids the latest gadget, technology, clothing too, because they EXPECT it. They too have been programmed.

Hit the nail straight square on the head, through the wall, into the stud and out the other side.

My question is:
Why is it, that when you don't want to engage in the secular side of the holidays, i.e., spending money, consumerism, you are looked at as if you aren't human?

The hardest fight would be telling someone, who has been programmed to expect gifts for Christmas, that they aren't getting anything because you don't believe in it. It's hard to tell a loved one, that you have different thoughts about the holidays. Especially when they are accustom to it.

The holidays aren't such a bad thing, though. Alot of good feelings and family outings are around these times. So, there's a positive outlook, too.

Just have to remember, you can't change people, you can only change yourself.

[edit on 12-12-2009 by havok]

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I'm not just talking about Christmas and easter day in this thread, I'm talking about any Religious Holidays!

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaninE.G
I am not going to be celebrating Christmas this year, because I cannot afford a plane ticket back to my homeland. Instead, I am going to be spending it in the residence halls with all the other kids that don't get to go home for the holidays. I am not planning on getting anyone anything material. What I want to do is make friends with all the college kids left behind like me and give them some happiness. I want to spread the love that I have in my heart and soul. That is all that is needed. Material things are stupid.

Starred and flagged, brah. good topic. Hope this thread succeeds.

[edit on 12-12-2009 by CaninE.G]

That, my friend, is the TRUE "spirit" of Christmas and every other so-called religious holiday! I applaud you!

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
because the people behind the scenes want people to be to stupid to fight back when they take over the world

top topics

join