It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TIME: The Final Frontier: Your Idea's and Theory's

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Time travel is not really possible. Simply because you cannot travel through a measurement, since that is all "time" is. Time is the measurement of motion and changes. Time is not a force, you can't measure it, you can't directly observe it or sense it. One way to travel through "time" would be to replicate the universe and everything in it as it was at the moment you want to visit and unless all the information is stored somewhere, it'll never happen. Don't you think inconveniencing the universe like that is a little selfish?

Another way is to somehow exploit the fractal nature of our world. However the best way to travel through time is to use your mind and use some foresight! We all "time" travel when we reconstruct a past event in our mind or think of the future.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   

This is interesting

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

My newest perceptions of the world have led me down the road of simple space-time dimension analysis i.e. only in regards to (x,y,z,t).

In my opinion, these 4 "dimensions" are an essential for existence. Drop one of following: x,y,z or t and one is left with non-existence. These are the bases of life and without them life ceases to exist.

With that said, time travel has always fascinated me. However, given what I know thus far in my life, I cannot say I believe or disbelieve.

Every time I think about relativity, I try and think of a way space-time could allow for time travel. Given what I have learned about Lorentz transformations and the such, it seems one would only have to get near the speed of light to travel into the future. The problem is traveling into the past.

Grant for the moment we could get near the speed of light, what would happen to our bodies at 0.9999c ? Would we still even be able to see? I would think so since "c" is the same in all inertial reference frames. But how do we really know?

The larger question for me has been: 'Do we consciously create the universe, or if all conscious observers were to suddenly perish, would the universe still "exist"? ' This should not be looked upon as a trivial question. Perhaps it could be classified as something we could never know or in the category of paradoxes.

Anyway. ttyl

[edit on 13-12-2009 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I think you can travel to the past. Aren't we looking at the past? Think about this:

Think about how light travels from stars

Your monitor on your computer is a light. It is 1-2 feet away from your face. Close your eyes. Open your eyes. You instantly see you're computer monitor, but there is a fraction of time it takes for your eyes to communicate to your brain that you are looking at your computer. If you could take a picture of that, and see the fractions, you could see the distance of time.

Now build your time machine, that puts you in that picture.

You basically would be in a dimension where you can see all the fractions of time. If you could create a machine to take you to that dimension, pick which time you want to go to, you would have successfully traveled back in time. Once you are at you're desired precise moment in time, I guess if you wanted, you could switch your time machine to enter that time in the 3rd dimension so you could interact with it.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
this is the first thing that has really compelled me to post on this site because i have had this idea about time travel for at least 10 years. i have no knowledge in physics or anything so i don't know if i am wording things correctly but i think you will get an idea of what i'm saying. im kind of angry the hlc existed in my mind to some extent way before i had any idea what it even was/existed.

anyways...
it would work kind of like the hlc. (which when i heard it worked that way i was kind of shocked considering this was in my head around the age 14). but if you can't achieve light speed, couldn't you use two, say vessels or any objects traveling in opposite directions at say half the speed of light which together would combine to that speed? my original idea was that you could just sit in the middle and maybe view them passing each other with such speed and SEE into the past, or the future whatever it may be. you would have no way to control it.

but now with the way the hlc works. would you have to smash atoms or could it be any two of the same objects colliding with such force it is equal to or greater then the speed of light (or the energy given off would be the same as the energy needed to achieve light speed). or maybe if you tried to do it they wouldn't smash, they would travel through each other, or maybe form as one.
i hope you guys understand kind of what im saying.

oh, i have been lurking here for a long time. i drove cross country and was listening to talk radio to stay awake - coast to coast am. some subject there led me to this site when i searched it and have been reading ever since - 3 years.
thanks all

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by yobd08

Thank you for posting that.

You have a good idea but unfortunately it would not work, according to what is called, "Lorentz Velocity Transformations". At the moment I cannot remember exactly how it works but I do know that the equations prohibit that from occurring.

The funny thing about relativity is that it seems so easy but then all of a sudden if you think about it a little too much you lose yourself.
Studying for an exam on this material makes me lose my mind.

Anyway.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
My theory (all questions are rhetorical):

Why does time itself have to move? Why does it have to have an alpha and an omega? My theory on time:

Time is static. It's one of the two components that make space-time and thus time always is and always will be, much like space. Time is just there. Everything else with mass moves through space and thus time is distorted in the local area of the mass, creating a past (what it did), present (what it's doing) and future (what it will do) of that mass. So the passage of time is merely a distortion realative to an object with mass.

How does this affect time travel if it's possible? I think that if it's possible, it would be opening up the multi-verse via a wormhole...not the true past of what we would know it, but one similar.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   
For some reason, I always thought time was linked to motion. You know, like the rotation of the earth as it rotates around the sun, .... and all of it is traveling through space as it expands.

Time Dilation has already been proven, so time CAN be manipulated. so it is not this all powerful super force which cannot be touched.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Time and Space are an illusion. They are brain tools to make sense of the quantum information our brain recieves. The past and future are with us right now in the present but in order for us to see them we have to find the information they are sending out.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Maybe time traveller's ARE here, ... and perhaps sometimes they get drunk and careless, and people mistake them for lunatic's.

Their the drunk people who shout randoms things that dont seem to make sense AT THE TIME, ..... like a guy at a highschool basketball game yelling " rapist" ..... where a young upstart Kobe Bryant is playing his first game.

Their all around us I tell you !!!!!

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Einstein's obtuse theory of warping space along with his obtuse theory of particle physics are how cosmologists currently derive time travel as a being possible.

Einstein's theories are utter garbage and much abused.

Scientists today use them to create mathematical theories that are nothing more than works of total fiction used to secure funding for all manner of ridiculous and expensive science projects. They have turned themselves into high priests of the arcane that demand our money and homage while providing us little real insight into the physical nature of our being.

They are fraudsters, scam artists, and the self-appointed priest guardians of sacred knowledge that they tell us mankind is simply too dumb to understand. Like priests reading sermons in Latin to the plebes.

Time travel is not possible.

Space does not bend.

Wormholes do not exist.

Black holes do not exist.

Quark stars do not exist.

These and everything else they are selling you is a scam. Like a televangelist offering answers to life's questions, they suck the public's tax dollars like leeches.

Its time to start educating yourself.

[edit on 15-12-2009 by mnemeth1]

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I believe breakthrough's in time travel will take place on a personal/conscious level. We probably could't touch any form of substantial time manipulation with our current technological limitations, ...

However ! I think time travel is only possible on a quantum level, ... and are not our very soul's bridges between dimensions ?? linking us from this world to the next.

Do not our very conscousness already have this ability ? where else would premonitions come from ?

Perhaps time travel is only impossible because WE decide not to travel. Why ? because there's no point to it, why would a soul choose to change a destiny that it, itself hath chosen for itself, .... maybe were living all of it, right now, at this moment.

I dunno, i have more questions than answers right now.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1
Einstein's obtuse theory of warping space along with his obtuse theory of particle physics are how cosmologists currently derive time travel as a being possible.

Einstein's theories are utter garbage and much abused.

Scientists today use them to create mathematical theories that are nothing more than works of total fiction used to secure funding for all manner of ridiculous and expensive science projects. They have turned themselves into high priests of the arcane that demand our money and homage while providing us little real insight into the physical nature of our being.

They are fraudsters, scam artists, and the self-appointed priest guardians of sacred knowledge that they tell us mankind is simply too dumb to understand. Like priests reading sermons in Latin to the plebes.

Time travel is not possible.

Space does not bend.

Wormholes do not exist.

Black holes do not exist.

Quark stars do not exist.

These and everything else they are selling you is a scam. Like a televangelist offering answers to life's questions, they suck the public's tax dollars like leeches.

Its time to start educating yourself.

[edit on 15-12-2009 by mnemeth1]

Are you freaking crazy? C'mon man, Black Holes don't exist? Is this suppose to be sarcastic? I hope so.

I'm pretty sure I've read, that we will probably be able to time travel before we travel to other Stars.

My theory of time travel is based off of Einstien's Theory of Relativity, by the way.

Also Time Travel is theoretically possible if you travel to a star at the speed of light, and return to Earth. You may have been gone a week in Space, but time on Earth continued, and 40 years may have passed. (An Example of why Time Travel is Possible)

Now let me go over my theory again:

Time is a measurement.

1. Create a machine that takes you into a different dimenison.
A. The 4th dimension. Now you are in a dimension where you can visually see the "measurements of time". Look there they are! Like standing on a real long ruler......Each measurment is a moment in time.

2. Once you have entered that dimension succesfully, you have accomplished building a time machine.

3. Then, pick your "measurement". Which in actuality is a specific "time".
A. Enter that "dimension in time"/"measurement". and there you go.

In order to time travel, you have to leave our dimension, imo.

[edit on 16-12-2009 by game over man]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by game over man

I agree, however I think the flaw lies in that matter cannot cross dimensions, .. or quantum boundary's.

However i have thought of some type of charged quantum bubble, that could safely carry something through.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I've always been a fan of the simultaneity of time theories.

I heard a story of a while back of the battle of Shiloh in the united States Civil war. There was a young boy that played a drum that was killed.

Sometimes people hear the beating of drums and phantom gun fire.

Now, I know how some people here view ghost stories but I think I have sort of an interesting take on it.

According to some theories on time it exists in a state of simultaneity in higher dimensions instead of the linear state we observe.

I think this is exactly how we explain ghosts. If every moment happens supposedly simultaneously then some of the effects might be eventual views into the past. Ergo, the ghost we see is in fact alive in their time however we view them from ours because in theory it is all happening at the same time.

That is of course if linear time is an illusion.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

Yes the matter part of the equation is a BIG issue. Is science not working on sending particles through time? I thought science is now testing time travel in some way or another?

But back to Humans traveling in Time. You would have to discover some "gateway" into the 4th Dimension. Then, study the characteristics/properties/environment of the 4th dimesnion and then build your craft accordingly to suit that environment for Human travel.

Sounds pretty easy

[edit on 18-12-2009 by game over man]

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

That is a really interesting idea. Maybe that can agree with my theory.

I was originally thinking along the lines of ending up in a Parallel Universe.

But the the idea:

Originally posted by DaMod
According to some theories on time it exists in a state of simultaneity in higher dimensions instead of the linear state we observe.

I think this is exactly how we explain ghosts. If every moment happens supposedly simultaneously then some of the effects might be eventual views into the past. Ergo, the ghost we see is in fact alive in their time however we view them from ours because in theory it is all happening at the same time.

That is basically what I'm saying,

You enter the 4th Dimension and you can see everything all at once. Every moment in time, all simultaniously. But we live in a 3-D world so the dynamics of this dimension would be much different looking. Thus very difficult to preceive/contemplate about it.

But I don't think everything would be all stacked up on top of eachother. The Earth is spinning. So imagine the Earth being this ribbon, and we roll out the ribbon, and each measurement on the ribbon, is a moment in time.

EXAMPLE

In our 3-D dimension, as time goes on and the Earth rotates we add more ribbon to the roll.

Entering the 4th dimension would be like rolling out the ribbon from the roll.

NEXT EXAMPLE

That would be a lot of ribbon to go through, to find your desired time.

[edit on 18-12-2009 by game over man]

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by game over man

I understand what you are saying. Except that ink ribbon would be everything at once.

For example, we live in a 3rd dimension and experience linear time. Sometimes we hear of ghosts inhabiting a location that seem to go through the steps of their previous existence. This might be a glimpse into the 4th dimensional point of view. Although brief, it is a view.

Ghost stories are usually called mythical so really there won't be any serious investigation into this theory (except by paranormal investigators). Very well might be the key to figuring out how time really works.

I may be wrong, would be serious shame if I'm not.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
double posted sorry.

[edit on 12/18/09 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
If you were to travel 2 times light speed away from earth for 1 billion years time distance, everything you left from the start once you arrived 1 billion years away would be dead or aged. But if you traveled 3 times light speed backwards in the same amount of time and distance 1 billion years you possibly would be in the past. Sounds crazy but I have been trying to understand it for some time. 2 times light speed the 1 billion years distance away and 3 times light speed the 1 billion years distance returning = your in the current past. Ok my 1 cent enjoy.

It works if you are photon or lighter partical creature or vehicle. In human contex your soul or light ship technology, which I dont doubt exist.

[edit on 12/18/09 by Ophiuchus 13]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join