It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What makes people think 'Aliens' travelled from lightyears away?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
People do not wish to entertain the real TRUTH

If there is a genuine other race it is from Much closer than our Fear Index will allow us to contemplate...

It is easy to feel safe when the threat is from another Star System... when the enemy is so advanced maybe they are "here to help"

When the truth settles in...

That they live here underground, under the surface of other planets right in our own system... that they aren't that much more advanced then us, just enough to be dangerous and hold the high ground....

This petrifies people into denial...

They invent many "alien" races and galactic civilizations for hope...

Hope against a real enemy that is close by and capable of bringing unknown horrors...

It is no different than the way the Natives thought the Europeans to be
"Gods"

We seek explanations rather than prepare for the fight, we want theories that console us, give us hope...

When the reality is...

We should have shot the first ships we saw and killed every single Grey that dares walk off of one... If the Mayans would have followed that procedure with those first few ships, they would still be around

[edit on 12-12-2009 by mopusvindictus]

I don't know. They probably saw a glowing ship land and god-like beings come out and decided it would be unwise to hurl a javelin. Hey, might as well give them a warm welcome and nice tall chairs to sit in.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Why did Columbus sail the seven seas?

Why did Captain Cook sail for months to land on, explore and colonise Australia when it would have been much easier and cheaper to stay in merry old England?

Of course NOW it's only a few hours by plane to any country on this vast planet.

We say aliens have travelled "millions of light years" to reach us for apparently no good reason but that is highly presumptuious.

Maybe interstellar space travel is relatively easy for them and they are inquisitive by nature, like us.

I think that is a very naive arguement really.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
The difference is that when skeptics speculate it's presented as speculation.
Too bad you don't live up to it yourself. To wit, you wrote:

So many conditions have to be just right for intelligent life, that even optimistic estimates of how many stars have intelligent civilizations capable of space travel say that the percentage of star systems thus populated is small.

Yet the fact of the matter is that we don't at all yet understand the "many conditions" it takes for intelligent life to develop (abiogenesis is not even understood!), nor do we know precisely how many habitable planets there are out there, how many civilisations rise or fall, and how many of those who survive develop space travel. So, besides you pulling a small population size out of your *ss for which you have no empirical data yet presented here as fact, I would also challenge your assumption that your point of view is somehow consensus science.

You won't hear a true skeptic say that 10,000 fuzzy dots in the sky is proof of alien visitation. But skeptics or anyone else can speculate about what those unknown lights may or may not be, or how many intelligences there may or may not be.
Ah yes, the old fallacious canard; the UFO phenomenon is reducible to a few fuzzy lights in the sky. Let's quickly do away with reports, photos and other evidence describing apparently structured, manufactured craft. Perhaps you care to speculate
on those reports too.

[edit on 12-12-2009 by jclmavg]

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by 13arrows
This is a simple topic

[edit on 11-12-2009 by 13arrows]

They come here through the door in the Northern Pole.

Pere Ubu
I Hear They Smoke The Barbecue.

I lie awake.
I was waiting for the clouds to break.
No doubt you've heard about the door in through the Northern Pole.
It's hard to believe -
People living underneath.
I hear they live on fruit and air.
I hear they love ole Yogi Bear.
I hear they're good at parking cars.
I hear they want to be like we are.

They'll move next door.
They'll be a part of the neighborhood.
But as sad as we are, the company must love the misery.
Now we're on the darkside of forever.
I fear them hard times are beginning... for real.

I hear their sky is pink all day.
I hear they love ole Yogi Bear.
I hear they sneak around at night.
I hear they want to be like we are.

We stay up late.
We're waiting for the clouds to break.
Through the barbecue smoke, men from Mars -
Man, it's no joke.
We're not alone.
And eager eyes watch the sky.
My new buddies and me, we say,
Misery must love company.
Now we're on the darkside of forever.
I hear them hard times are beginning... for real.
I lie awake.
Waiting for the clouds to beak.
I lie awake.
Waiting for the clouds to break.
I lie awake.
Waiting for the clouds to break.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by OZtracized
Why did Columbus sail the seven seas?

Why did Captain Cook sail for months to land on, explore and colonise Australia when it would have been much easier and cheaper to stay in merry old England?

Of course NOW it's only a few hours by plane to any country on this vast planet.

We say aliens have travelled "millions of light years" to reach us for apparently no good reason but that is highly presumptuious.

Maybe interstellar space travel is relatively easy for them and they are inquisitive by nature, like us.

I think that is a very naive arguement really.

You make a very good point. I'm just sorry you felt you had to minimize the OP and everyone else's thoughts to do so.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_
I believe the nearest star is four light years away. That is about as "around the corner" as you can get compared to hundreds or millions of light years away that other stars are. So visitors would still be traveling light years to get here.

[edit on 11-12-2009 by _BoneZ_]

If their mode of transportation is linear, yes.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

You're right. In hindsight I should have left the last line out and I apologise if anyone felt a little put off by that. (I stick by the rest though!)

[edit on 12-12-2009 by OZtracized]

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by OZtracized

Good deal, OZ

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
Entanglement is a real phenomenon (Einstein called it “spooky action at a distance”), which has been demonstrated repeatedly through experimentation. The mechanism behind it cannot, as yet, be fully explained by any theory.

I am well aware of entanglement and that its speed has been measured to be greater than 50C. Entanglement cannot be used to transmit true information so does not violate SR.

If information has been transmitted via entanglement then it is back to the drawing board for physics.

[edit on 13/12/2009 by LightFantastic]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join