It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What makes people think 'Aliens' travelled from lightyears away?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
This is a simple topic with a debatible answer.

Why do alot of critics,nay-sayers and even believers say that aliens travelled millions of light years away from our planet? or the classic 'Why would they travel lightyears just to come here?' theres a simple answer for that, why not? If we (humans) found life on another planet,wouldnt we be back and forth visiting?

I know its mainly just an assumption that aliens travelled millions of light years to here, what if they didnt? what if for all we know they are practically around the corner,or just exisit within another dimenison in our own world as some theories portray.

I just want to hear others opinions on the whole 'why would they travel such and such distance' when there isnt any well,proof, of that.

[edit on 11-12-2009 by 13arrows]

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by 13arrows

It's really very simple to answer. Humans are not a questioning lot which is why the various religions run rampant. Humans are brought up being mentally-conditioned from the cradle to the grave, as follows:

bogeyman: an imaginary monster used to frighten children
Santa Claus: the legendary patron saint of children; an imaginary being who is thought to bring presents to children at Christmas ("You better be good...")
gods: deity: any supernatural being worshipped as controlling some part of the world or some aspect of life or who is the personification of a force
Satan: (Judeo-Christian and Islamic religions) chief spirit of evil and adversary of God; tempter of mankind; master of Hell

Mental conditioning is seen every second on TV, which has a certain "authority" to it.

So it goes without saying that if there are UFOs, there's gotta be aliens in 'em. Since aliens are not humans they have to come from somewhere. Jump to certain scientists who are vocal in their assumptions and since scientists have a certain amount of "authority" the average person tends to believe whatever theory they expound.

So we have people such as Sagan, Drake, et al., who come up with figures out of thin air which the gullible see as a reality. "Hey, Drake said that there are x amount of planets with life, so it's gotta be true." Ergo, aliens have a home away from home!

Distances between known planets is so vast that normal, 65mph just won't do. They gotta have developed vehicles capable of travelling at such a high rate of speed that they arrive before they left! "Fly Me To The Moon" just doesn't cut it anymore. Now, it's "Warp Me To The Moon"! Or "Wormhole Me To The Moon"!

We cannot explain UFOs yet some think that they know not only where UFOs come from but their mode of travel. Basically, it's all about conditioning. Beliefs. Faith. Nothing to do with reality.

However, the UFO mystery and possible aliens is still a mystery. Until we know what UFOs are and whether there are, indeed, occupants in the UFOs, it is just a game as to what explanation sounds better without the weight of having to prove anything. Bottom line: Speculation.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Ah, I am so delighted to see you have posed the question, as it has been the one that has always complicated things for me.

In having discussions over the years with physics professors, I have always asked for their opinion, almost precisely the way you have here. I was given the same answer so many countless times it's hard to let go. The answer was inevitably, "of course there is life on other planets. No question about that. But they don't visit here. It's just too far....way to far to travel". Then the lecture on how people don't really realize that space is mostly just....space.

I've never really been able to let go of that. In the event they DO come here, I have no trouble imagining the reasons why. Our planet is Blue. lol.
It's beautiful. It may be unusual, with it's abundance and variety of plant and animal life. It may be unique in that respect and in other ways. We humans are quite possibly unique as well. Interesting or fun to watch. Like going to the zoo, who knows?

Perhaps we have resources they need or want underneath our sea's, or who knows where. Actually I could go on and on with my imaginings of why they come here. Some of the reasons I imagine are quite benign, while others are not. I don't automatically attribute goodness and benevolence to them like many do. Or believe they are somehow posturing to "save" us, if need be. I think they would have some type of "no interference" rule in place.

But the big question which remains for me, is: do they come?

I hate saying that because I have read so many accounts on ATS of people I genuinely like very much, and consider to be very intelligent who claim to have had abduction experiences. And I am never one to shun something just because I have not personally experienced it.

So this is a tough area. Very difficult for me. (I'm rambling now).

But great OP and I appreciate your thoughts as well.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
We just don't know.

Maybe they study humans because we are a rare species and there is nothing else like us. Aliens from all over the Milk Way come to check us out.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I believe the nearest star is four light years away. That is about as "around the corner" as you can get compared to hundreds or millions of light years away that other stars are. So visitors would still be traveling light years to get here.

[edit on 11-12-2009 by _BoneZ_]

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I've always thought this question.

I think it'd be mind blowing to find out that maybe they are a lot closer than we ever thought, and they use the same mode of transportation we do. Or something very close, and it is no where near as advanced as we thought.

To me, that'd be a bit of a downer, but still cool nonetheless

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
hmm,altho some can settle on a simple answer something jsut doesnt sit right with me,maybe im like ladyinwaiting in this regard.

maybe they come froma neighbouring planet or moon?

Another thing that intrests me is how do we have so called 57 or more catorgoized alien speices? did our existance spead over the cosmos by word of mouth? some alien said 'hey theres something on this planet!' until it got to other speices as 'did you hear that some planet thingy found has beings on it?' 'really? we should check it out then' 'yeah ok'...well maybe not like that but you know what i mean.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Yes! Or it could be something as simple as "oh man, they have the best things to eat there; fantastic food! They have these delicious animals they call cows, and from the oceans you can get flounder and these tasty little morsels they call "shrimp".

Wouldn't that be hilarious?

Okay. It's getting late and I'm getting silly.
Peace out.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

that'd be hilarious.

and honestly...the most simple answer.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamsupermanv2

I think it'd be mind blowing to find out that maybe they are a lot closer than we ever thought, and they use the same mode of transportation we do. Or something very close, and it is no where near as advanced as we thought.

Little bit of a nitpick. They couldn't use the same kind of transportation as we do, since we don't have anything even approaching interstellar spacecraft. Our fastest spacecraft would spend tens of thousands of years traveling to the nearest star system.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Tearman

that's my point...it'd be kinda mind blowing to our types if they were not that far away. that they could use a space shuttle or something very similar to travel to us.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamsupermanv2

Well this IS a conspiracy website. According to the theories of John Lear, our solar system alone is TEAMING with life, and all kinds of other secret things. haha.

John Lear List of Conspiracies.

That said, any visit from another planet would in my mind provide hope for us. That, or wipe us from existence. Either way, all our problems would be on a road to some sort of solution. haha.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Even if they came from the other side of the universe...that in NO WAY means they couldn't travel here...just because we don't know of any way to warp the fabric of space and create our own worm hole...or just because we think the speed of light is the absolute fastest speed you can go...doesn't mean it's impossible to travel faster than light (eg quantized weightless craft)...and it doesn't mean worm holes/black holes can't be used to cut across vast distances of space just because we haven't done it...

You can't break the laws of physics, but you can bend and dismantle them

Here's another idea...what if the Aliens found Earth before we ever existed here and seeded the planet with life and they are constantly monitoring us? I personally think they've been here the whole time...

[edit on 12/12/09 by CHA0S]

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_
I believe the nearest star is four light years away. That is about as "around the corner" as you can get compared to hundreds or millions of light years away that other stars are. So visitors would still be traveling light years to get here.

And one of the nearest alien planets is Planet Iarga which is 10 light years away from Earth:
www.galactic.no...

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Well, basically it's pointless to argue this, because as we have no credible proof that Extraterrestrials have visited this planet, people will still believe they have or do...
I've always said that your crazy to believe that what you see in the skies of our planet are of Alien origin... Since we on a regular basis put 1000's of objects into the skies of this planet every day, every hour, every minute, every second...

Something we have made at this very moment is taking off or landing somewhere on the planet...

It's actually "stupid" to think that there are Alien craft flying around on earth without someone knowing about it, with our thousands of radar and various satellites all around the planet and in orbit... This planet is under surveillance 24.3 hours a day...

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
and in response as to why an Alien species WOULD come to Earth, well they more than likely would not. The only way this would be possible would be only possible if they were ancient cousins or relatives of humans, that left Earth long ago, or lived on another planet in our Solar System. Other than that, there would be no way in the universe that any Alien civilization would be able to find US. It would be like trying to find your way from NewYork to California "blindfolded"... I don't care if you picked up Sound and Light waves, smelled methane, or even recieved direct coordinates TO earth, there would be no way it would be possible to travel here from any remote outside the Solar System location. It would even be extremely and profoundly difficult to navigate and travel to Earth from any other Planet within our solar system... it's just that complicated to traverse Space...

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by sphinx551

1 lightyear = 9.4605284 × 1015 meters

Reflected sunlight from the Moon's surface takes 1.2–1.3 seconds to travel the distance to the Earth's surface. (The surface of the moon is roughly 376,300 kilometres from the surface of the Earth, on average. 376,300 km ÷ 300,000 km/s (roughly the speed of light) ≈ 1.25 seconds)

The most distant space probe, Voyager 1, was about 14 light-hours away from Earth as of 9 March 2007 (2007 -03-09)
Important Topic Updates
. It took that space probe 30 years to cover that distance,[17] and will take over 18,000 years to reach one light-year at the same speed.

The Andromeda Galaxy is approximately 2.5 megalight-years away.

One megalight-year, abbreviated "Mly", is one million light-years, or about 306,600 parsecs. Megalight-years are typically used to measure distances between neighboring galaxies and galaxy clusters. extra DIV

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I'd have to actually see it to believe it. And i mean actually see something so undoubtedly Alien and advanced that there would be absolutlely no question that it was Alien Originated.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Brainiac

I've always said that your crazy to believe that what you see in the skies of our planet are of Alien origin... Since we on a regular basis put 1000's of objects into the skies of this planet every day, every hour, every minute, every second...
So if someone see's a craft moving at unearthly speeds and making intelligent maneuvers, they are crazy for believing it could be extraterrestrial in origin? What if it gets so close they can clearly see it's a craft, and is nothing like anything on this Earth? What if it gets so close it gives them radiation poisoning and burns? What if they get abducted? What if odd levels of radiation are found in the vicinity of crop circles? What if highly intelligent and respected people that work in sensitive positions come forward and claim the Government knows more than they are telling us? ALL those things have happened...

It's actually "stupid" to think that there are Alien craft flying around on earth without someone knowing about it, with our thousands of radar and various satellites all around the planet and in orbit... This planet is under surveillance 24.3 hours a day...
I suggest you watch "The Disclosure Project"...it may open your eyes a little...we catch them on radar all the time...The Disclosure project contains testimony from hundreds of highly respected and intelligent individuals who only risk their jobs, extreme ridicule and mockery, and looking like absolute crack-pots. It includes people in charge of nuclear devices, CIA, FBI, pilots, NASA employees, RADAR traffic controllers, aeronautical engineers, and a vast array of highly informed individuals who risk everything they've worked for because they believe we the people deserve to know the truth.

it's just that complicated to traverse Space...

---

It took that space probe 30 years to cover that distance,[17] and will take over 18,000 years to reach one light-year at the same speed.
It's easy to compare our technology and understanding of reality with that of a highly advanced civilization...but it's totally illogical, and a frivolous way of thinking ...

[edit on 12/12/09 by CHA0S]

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Even though I always have felt that there must be other life out there I never really thought that these life forms would of traveled many light years.

Until...my mothers NDE.

The entire experience is posted here at ATS, we even made videos of mom telling it herself. But some things were left out for she the went against her own beliefs and she wanted to sift these things before sharing.

Her experience allowed her to go below the sphinx with Michael, the angel. There are thousands and thousands of huge books, so big they had to sit on tables to be read. She remembers alot of the books having the snake eating its own tail on the cover. She remembers, even though Michal told her she could look at any book, she would not understand what was within them. She saw alot of images of other beings, star charts, and craft. She felt that it seemed to be books that instructed where the beings were from, as well as where they were going. The destination....Earth. The place they seemed to of came from....the form of stars we know as Orion.

I dont claim this as fact...but I dont shrug it as nothing either. What she saw seemed to show that beings came here long ago, they helped build or show how to build the pyramids, and the sphinx was a part of this also.

She claims the entire history of Earth is below the sphinx. I am not sure it is below the literal sphinx, I am now thinking this chamber is in the astral realm, the realm that is very much attached to Earth. I think it can be reached by anyone that can travel in the astral realm. If these things are discovered below the literal sphinx one day....I swear I will be so besides myself in amazement.

For a woman that doesnt really believe in aliens or anything close to it....she had a very strange experience that tested her thoughts. She feels that the books were showing 'star travel'.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join